Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about 1964 TV Guide ad for "Jeopardy!"  (Read 1290 times)

DjohnsonCB

Question about 1964 TV Guide ad for "Jeopardy!"
« on: August 02, 2021, 06:47:57 PM »
Today in the mail I got an issue of TV Guide I ordered from eBay (it has Lawrence Welk on the cover) from 1964, in the hope of finding within the program listings, a half-page national ad for the debut of Fleming J!.  A long time ago I sent a scan of that ad to someone who may still post here, but it was poor quality (from a microfilm from the Omaha library) and I was hoping to get a better quality one in this TV Guide issue.  But it was nowhere to be found in the Sunday or Monday pages--just a lot of local ads for "Mickey Mouse Club" and other shows on the local stations in there.  Does anyone here have a copy of that issue with another edition's listings and hopefully that ad?  If so I'd love to see it here.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Ian Wallis

Re: Question about 1964 TV Guide ad for "Jeopardy!"
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 08:48:34 PM »
FWIW, the copy of TV Guide I have for that week is the Colorado edition - got it (probably on e-bay) back in the '90s when I began aggressively filling in issues/years I was missing.  There's no ad for Jeopardy in that edition either.

My experience with the game show ads is that they didn't start running them nationally until sometime in the late '70s - any ads you may have seen earlier would have just been in a few chosen editions.

For example, I've got a Central Pennsylvania edition from Nov 1, 1975.  There's no ad for NBC's Gigantic Game Gala or the hour-long Price is Right in that edition, but editions from later in the '70s have ads for shows like Whew!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DjohnsonCB

Re: Question about 1964 TV Guide ad for "Jeopardy!"
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 12:41:56 AM »

Found the first one online at eBay; the one I had is below it.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel