Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game returns Wednesday  (Read 3003 times)

BillCullen1

Match Game returns Wednesday
« on: July 18, 2021, 11:04:33 PM »
A promo on ABC's Celeb Family Feud stating that Alec Baldwin and the gang are back. Wednesdays at 10 pm. it's a new episode. So it takes the place of Card Sharks. I'm good with that.

Card Shark

Re: Match Game returns Wednesday
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 03:04:58 PM »
Has Card Sharks finished its season already?
Adam Strom

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 06:50:57 PM »
Has Card Sharks finished its season already?
They taped 13 May of last year. Aired only 10 last fall, finished running the remaining 3 last week. Me thinks it's not returning for a 3rd season.

Card Shark

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 05:59:46 AM »
Given how it was reported on this board that it was the lowest rated out of the game show reboots on ABC, I would not be surprised. I won't miss it.
Adam Strom

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 11:20:44 AM »
I generally think more game shows are better than fewer but CS belongs in daytime where games are not confined to one show, or at least early evening syndication.
Travis L. Eberle

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 11:30:56 AM »
The timeslot will go to an ABC News series starting August 11, lest you think any more game shows might pop up there.  (8/4 is now a Match Game rerun.)
@lambertman

Card Shark

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 02:23:40 PM »
I generally think more game shows are better than fewer but CS belongs in daytime where games are not confined to one show, or at least early evening syndication.

I will give credit where credit is due--this version stayed true to the original format as opposed to the 2001 edition. But, dragging out the turning of cards and Joel McHale will not be missed (at least not by me). I agree, it works better in either daytime or in syndication, returning champs, the host not being a robot and actually turning cards or doing something other than standing in place trying to be funny, best 2 out of 3, etc.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 09:19:39 AM by Card Shark »
Adam Strom

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 02:47:09 PM »
I will give credit where credit is due--this version stayed true to the original format as opposed to the 2001 edition.
As much as the '01 version got wrong, I did like the pre-recorded segments. It was an interesting enough twist, although the current version shows the survey questions are just fine. Honestly, if you're gonna do a self-contained half-hour, why not use the best-of-3 format with five cards? This version unnecessarily drags things out for "drama" that never happens.

I don't have an issue with Joel not turning the cards, but the pacing was atrocious. Why is there a pregnant pause for a card in the middle of the row, and you speed through everything else? This show contains every trope that I got tired of when Endemol was doing it 15 years ago.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JMFabiano

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 10:41:16 PM »
I will give credit where credit is due--this version stayed true to the original format as opposed to the 2001 edition.
As much as the '01 version got wrong, I did like the pre-recorded segments. It was an interesting enough twist, although the current version shows the survey questions are just fine. Honestly, if you're gonna do a self-contained half-hour, why not use the best-of-3 format with five cards? This version unnecessarily drags things out for "drama" that never happens.

I don't have an issue with Joel not turning the cards, but the pacing was atrocious. Why is there a pregnant pause for a card in the middle of the row, and you speed through everything else? This show contains every trope that I got tired of when Endemol was doing it 15 years ago.

As I said, "Slow where it should be fast, and fast where it should be slow." 

The survey questions are sped up in this version which gives Joel little chance to show a personality.

The DOND version of the card segment ruins any joy I used to have for that part.  Yes, it's giving more time to what most people remember, but In a way it's no better than 2001 cutting the toss-ups out so that the card turning was all there was to the game. 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

tvwxman

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 08:38:14 AM »
Agreed on all counts. And I love Joel McHale but he's way wrong for this show.

There is a great game in this setup - they don't have it. I hope they don't shut it down for good - but it needs some serious retooling.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Card Shark

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 09:25:16 AM »

Yes, Joel not turning cards was not the biggest deal. The series had potential to be something awesome and it was just o.k. I understand COVID threw a monkey wrench into their taping schedule and the idea of having the losing contestant and his/her family cheer on the winner in the Money Cards was a really nice idea, especially in this day and age. If they do get another season, I hope they make some improvements. If they cut down on the time they take to leave us hanging on the edge of our seats waiting to find out if the next card is higher or lower than card x and reduce the block of cards to 5, they can possibly get in more game play (best 2 out of 3 or something). Just brainstroming (and yes, that misspelling was intentional)..
Adam Strom

snowpeck

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 06:43:03 PM »
Agreed on all counts. And I love Joel McHale but he's way wrong for this show.

There is a great game in this setup - they don't have it. I hope they don't shut it down for good - but it needs some serious retooling.

It always felt to me that TBTB knew what Card Sharks was without knowing what makes it work.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

That Don Guy

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 08:59:12 PM »

Somebody probably figured that either the first two games would have to be so short that it leaves a gap if it's won 2-0, or they would have to rush through a third game (probably make it one question instant sudden death) in order to make sure it fits in the 30 minutes. No, I don't know what would have happened if somebody got a lucky deal and ran the table on the first question in the current version (which, for all I know, is why the first season had 10 cards instead of 7), either.

Unrealtor

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 11:57:38 PM »

Somebody probably figured that either the first two games would have to be so short that it leaves a gap if it's won 2-0, or they would have to rush through a third game (probably make it one question instant sudden death) in order to make sure it fits in the 30 minutes. No, I don't know what would have happened if somebody got a lucky deal and ran the table on the first question in the current version (which, for all I know, is why the first season had 10 cards instead of 7), either.

There was one of the games in the last three episodes that, IIRC, only took two questions, and there was a whole bunch of Joel interacting with the contestants and the people in their boxes that felt like it would have easily ended up on the cutting room floor if the game had gone longer.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."