Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Government oversight of Mexican (and other?) game shows  (Read 1413 times)

Kniwt

Government oversight of Mexican (and other?) game shows
« on: July 05, 2021, 10:56:33 AM »
As I go deeper down the rabbit hole of Mexican game shows ("just to feel something ..."  :-*), I'm becoming more curious about the role that the government-mandated supervisors play on each show. Since there don't appear to be any writeups on the subject that I can find, I'm wondering whether any in-the-biz folks here might have some more info ... and whether there are similar requirements in other countries.

The requirements, in Spanish: https://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/supervision-de-concurso-en-radio-y-o-television/SEGOB1787
Do you require the supervision of your contest on radio and/or television? Check the information here to obtain an official document to carry out the supervision of your contest.

So far, I've seen two shows where the host announces the name of the supervisor at the beginning of the show: Escape Perfecto and DOND (¿Te La Juegas?):

It seems to be a cross between what we'd think of as "judges" and "S&P." What I've observed so far:

- On Escape Perfecto, the supervisor apparently issues rulings during gameplay on, for example, whether an escape is valid or whether a prize has been properly removed from the cage.

- On DOND, the supervisor is "the only person who knows what amount is in each case," suggesting they've taken an active role in setting up the stage.

- I don't recall seeing the supervisor mentioned on older shows. Did this rule go into effect in recent years? Was there any specific incident that motivated it?

- The supervisor is usually, but not always, a "licenciado/a." (Wiki: "the Licenciatura is a general term denoting the first higher-education degree awarded at universities, varying from 3 to 5 years of study, depending on the field. It is thus an undergraduate degree, and require a licence to practice in the learned profession.")

Government oversight is an interesting concept ... and, of course, one which would never fly here. But I'm curious how it works in real life. Any info welcome.

Jimmy Owen

Re: Government oversight of Mexican (and other?) game shows
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 12:51:54 PM »
They are the Reason A. Goodwin or Emile Autori of the shows.  Employees of the show.  Not S&P or "government officials"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 02:10:24 PM »
They are the Reason A. Goodwin or Emile Autori of the shows.  Employees of the show.  Not S&P or "government officials"

Actually, they’re representatives of the Mexican Secretary of the Interior. Which makes the show fall under the spectrum of the Mexican government.

It’s like you didn’t even try this time.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 03:14:27 PM »
I stand corrected.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »
- On DOND, the supervisor is "the only person who knows what amount is in each case," suggesting they've taken an active role in setting up the stage.
This sounds like the "independent adjudicator" role that the UK version referenced.

Speaking of UK, in the vein of your original post I would find it interesting to hear if the BBC had extra/different sets of red tape than an ITV or Channel 4.
This signature is currently under construction.