Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show "Channels" On Roku,...Etc... Thread.  (Read 95824 times)

gamed121683

Re: Game Show "Channels" On Roku,...Etc... Thread.
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2023, 10:14:22 AM »
I remember Roku(?) having a channel that played nothing but reruns of Dawson, Combs, and Anderson's versions of Feud for a while. I don't know if, in retrospect, that was a pilot program, but...

I too am keeping my fingers crossed that this channel will appear outside of Vizio someday.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 10:40:34 AM by gamed121683 »

chargeradiocom

« Reply #151 on: April 19, 2023, 04:38:17 PM »
I'm surprised they mentioned Vizio in particular. I believe the other Fremantle-owned GS streaming channels are all on Pluto TV.....which you *don't* need a Vizio TV to view.
Pluto doesn’t actually carry the official Supermarket Sweep channel (the one that Roku Channel, Xumo, etc. carry). But the Pluto TV Game Shows channel runs a ton of Sweep and is basically Pluto’s defacto Sweep channel.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #152 on: April 19, 2023, 08:32:27 PM »
I'm surprised they mentioned Vizio in particular. I believe the other Fremantle-owned GS streaming channels are all on Pluto TV.....which you *don't* need a Vizio TV to view.
Pluto doesn’t actually carry the official Supermarket Sweep channel (the one that Roku Channel, Xumo, etc. carry).

And said channel is on Vizio's WatchFree+. I stand corrected.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2023, 07:11:53 PM »
Otherwise, also hoping for Dawson and Combs.

Between last night and right now, both of them are accounted for.  ;D

bclark71

« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2023, 02:05:46 PM »
After seeing some Combs "Feud," it becomes abundantly clear once again how Richard Dawson should have hosted the 1988 revival.

chrisholland03

« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2023, 03:03:07 PM »
After seeing some Combs "Feud," it becomes abundantly clear once again how Richard Dawson should have hosted the 1988 revival.

Please elaborate for those to whom it is not as abundantly clear.

bclark71

« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2023, 06:31:42 PM »
IMO, you can have the best or you can have the rest. 

Dawson was the original originator, the first, and the best.  And he was available in 1987-88 when the CBS Feud was coming together.  Maybe he was a diva at the time, but again...he was so associated with the show that I suspect many people tuned in and then tuned right back out when they saw Dawson wasn't there.

Combs ... Capable in the first couple of seasons for sure, and probably would have done really well on a show that didn't have such a large host-shadow to overcome.  But once he had that handheld mic, he came across as a Hallelujah preacher in front of his flock.  And his disinterest and bitterness toward the end of his run was palpable.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2023, 07:05:53 PM »
So it seems, by and large, you just weren't as big a fan of Ray as you were of Richard. That's certainly a valid opinion.

But I'm with Chris Holland in wondering why it was abundantly clear Richard should have been there instead. Ray was at the helm of a daytime version of Feud for 5 years, and a concurrent syndicated run that went a year longer than that. He had to come cheaper than Richard. Both versions stayed on at a point when game shows were in mass exodus -- particularly in daytime. That's no small feat, even if those versions never reached the heights of the original run. That was becoming less and less possible as time wore on.

FWIW, I found the 1994 Dawson run watchable, especially now, knowing full well Richard ended up being a different person than he was in the '70s. I don't think having Richard back in 1987/1988, after just a few years away, would have been good for anybody.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TimK2003

« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2023, 07:45:14 PM »
Ray did not try to be the second coming of Richard Dawson.  Instead, he did the show in his own way.  Personally, I liked both hosts in their respective incarnations. 

And then when Richard Dawson did return for the 1994 incarnation, he mellowed up a lot compared to his days in the 70s and 80s. So even 1994 Dawson couldn't fill the shoes of Dawson from 10 years prior -- which is partially why Richard's reboot only lasted one season.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2023, 12:30:52 AM »
Dawson [...] was available in 1987-88 when the CBS Feud was coming together.
If I'm not mistaken, Goodson once said Richard gave him tsoris (Yiddish for "trouble") and after the original show ended swore off ever working with Dawson again, so this wouldn't have happened.

Combs['] disinterest and bitterness toward the end of his run was palpable.
That's a reasonable observation, though in Ray's defense I think some of his disinterest came from the show having some very silly gimmick matchups during his final two years (Baywatch cast vs. LA lifeguards! Priests vs. Rabbis! Doctors vs. Malpractice Attorneys! Priests vs. Rabbis again!).

As for Ray's bitterness, I think one of the E! True Hollywood Story documentaries mentioned that he was told they were firing him in order to bring back Dawson in hopes of boosting Feud's lousy ratings. I think I'd be bitter too if I was doing my best and busting my butt for five years only to be blamed for problems outside my control and fired in favor of the guy I'd replaced.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 01:14:48 AM by WarioBarker »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

colonial

« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2023, 02:33:22 PM »
https://www.verylocal.com/wait-what-happened-show/

Very Local, a streaming app from Hearst that's available on Roku, Fire TV, Samsung and more, launches a game show, "Wait, What Happened," on May 3. Hosted by Frank Nicotero, it's a "Street Smarts"-esque show that was recorded earlier this year in both Pittsburgh and Orlando.

JD

aaron sica

« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2023, 08:46:09 PM »
The Redbox app now carries the Family Feud channel.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2023, 01:18:16 AM »
To be clear, this is not the new Feud Classic channel that’s on Vizio, despite BUZZR’s recent social media post to the contrary. This is the Steve Harvey-based channel that’s been on Roku Channel and Xumo for a while.

snowpeck

« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2023, 01:24:33 AM »
To be clear, this is not the new Feud Classic channel that’s on Vizio, despite BUZZR’s recent social media post to the contrary. This is the Steve Harvey-based channel that’s been on Roku Channel and Xumo for a while.
That one's been on Redbox for a while. Family Feud Classic and Supermarket Sweep are supposed to be coming to Redbox soon but they're not there yet.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

aaron sica

« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2023, 07:50:13 AM »
Mea culpa. I shouldn't believe everything I read on the Internet. :)