Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show "Channels" On Roku,...Etc... Thread.  (Read 95860 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Game Show "Channels" On Roku,...Etc... Thread.
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2023, 09:59:57 PM »
I don’t think I’ve seen a playing of Bump in 30 years minus maybe one YouTube viewing, so I watched a couple playings just now.

Yeah…it’s a lot more suggestive than I remembered, although I vaguely recall loving the game as a child for some reason. :-P I don’t generally clutch my pearls over old entertainment, but if the channel wants to keep this family friendly, I totally get the decision.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2023, 10:52:05 PM »
This feels...weird. I completely understand with why they wouldn't air it, honestly.

I think my issue is more that, as the run so far has shown, pretty much every third word Bob Barker has said on air between 1982-1985 has not aged well. To the point that in more recent shows (from 1984 on) they've even started doing content edits, but on a nearly every episode basis Barker is saying or doing something that would be labeled as racist, homophobic....or sexist. With the first and last of the three, even by 1980s standards. Even knowing from the GSN run how bad Barker was in the 70s and 80s, I still wasn't quite prepared for the routine occurances of these 80s shows.

but Bump is the "we won't air this?" line? Really? After all the stuff Bob's said and done already, this feels like a weird place to have a boundary that they clearly have not had before and where nothing (as far as we know) has changed.

I'm still happy they're showing this stuff at all (and it's been interesting re-examining my own nostalgia), I think I just assumed that based on all the stuff that they've left in/aired that Bump would be considered comparably tame. (and editing to add that obviously all of us on the outside looking in don't have all or even most of the details; this isn't the first time there's been a last minute plot twist due to a clearance issue [still remember Wordplay getting yanked by Buzzr midway through the first week])
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 01:31:27 AM by Chelsea Thrasher »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2023, 02:46:46 AM »
They just announced they're also skipping 5795, 5803, 5811, 5823 and 5825, which means every playing of Bump in this batch is being skipped. The total number of new episodes is reduced to 44.
Three things I've noticed:
* 5823D doesn't have Bump, so that's likely the episode they were gonna skip prior to this update.
* They're actually skipping six episodes, given that 5811D didn't air and was replaced with 58XXD, which also had Bump.
* 5795D and 5825D also had Season 14's first two playings of Balance Game. The only appearance it'll make in this batch is on 5762D, which was already on the trading circuit (and YouTube).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 03:35:16 AM by WarioBarker »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

rwalker

« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2023, 10:41:43 AM »
They are worried about Bump, but ok with Janice shaking her butt to a jukebox jam

Got it! Makes total sense! :P

BillCullen1

« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2023, 11:42:04 AM »
Bump usually had Dian and Janice as the "bumpers." IMO, Dian usually put a little more oomph in her bump. Bob didn't complain  ;)

Then there were the '70s episodes where female contestants who got an exact bid had to go in Bob's jacket pocket to get their $100 bonus. I'm figuring that's considered taboo by today's standards as well.

rwalker

« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2023, 01:13:00 PM »
Exactly what I said above. They are cherry picking

WhammyPower

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2023, 01:32:34 PM »
Then there were the '70s episodes where female contestants who got an exact bid had to go in Bob's jacket pocket to get their $100 bonus. I'm figuring that's considered taboo by today's standards as well.
They're definitely showing that still.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2023, 03:14:22 PM »
They're definitely showing that still.
Per G-R, this went into 1991.

I’m not one to complain about not getting ice cream with his free pie, but this seems a bit silly.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2023, 06:24:19 PM »
I agree with Chelsea that it's a little strange that this is the line. The premiere of the game (one of the episodes the channel has suddenly decided to skip) is on YouTube, and notably, the hip action isn't a part of it yet (though not for a lack of trying on Barker's part). I also saw an early playing in which Janice was chosen to bump, and the hip bump she performed was not particularly racy (even though Barker was again playing up the suggestiveness of the game).

But there are multiple episodes that have already aired on the channel in which Barker would make uncomfortable comments about a contestant's legs. They once did a showcase about the models, who were dressed in maid outfits, cleaning Bob Barker's house. And of course there's the aforementioned $100 pocket. It seems like at this point, Barker's reputation is pretty well cemented, regardless of what this channel does or doesn't air.

But I suppose that when "Barker Era" is right there in the channel's name and one of the promos repeatedly, rhythmically emphasizes "Bob Barker," it isn't the best look to show the star of the channel behaving in a negative way. And it's easier to make the blanket statement "don't air any episodes with Bump" -- it'd be an extra expense to screen every episode and make that judgment call, especially considering that running or not running the episodes will have no effect on the viewership.

And it's not like this is the first time that Fremantle's nostalgia channels have been inconsistent in what they do and don't censor.

Otm Shank

« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2023, 02:02:18 PM »
Fremantle: The Bump game is too suggestive for the audience.

Also Fremantle, e'ry damn day:

Mark McNeil

« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2023, 02:00:31 AM »
Fremantle: The Bump game is too suggestive for the audience.

Also Fremantle, e'ry damn day:
(Picture in above comment)

Bing-freakin'-go!

SamJ93

« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2023, 08:43:26 AM »
In Fremantle's (very slight) defense, one could argue that present-day Feud is trying to attract a younger audience who enjoys that sort of humor, while Buzzr and the TPiR channel are aimed at a nostalgic crowd who wants "comfort viewing" without the risk of being offended.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

BrandonFG

« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2023, 11:05:21 AM »
I’d also argue that Feud knows the raunchy answers get reactions from Steve and that it creates YouTube material. It’s annoyed me for years now, but it is what it is.

With the Pluto channel, the closest you’ll see is a 1983 playing of whatever pricing game for a car.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Sodboy13

« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2023, 08:35:14 AM »
I don’t think I’ve seen a playing of Bump in 30 years minus maybe one YouTube viewing, so I watched a couple playings just now.

Yeah…it’s a lot more suggestive than I remembered, although I vaguely recall loving the game as a child for some reason. :-P I don’t generally clutch my pearls over old entertainment, but if the channel wants to keep this family friendly, I totally get the decision.

Yeah, there's a reason that one became my dad's favorite game in short order, and it was not the compelling gameplay.

Wasn't some of the legal action by the models either centered on or adjacent to Bump, or is that me taking years of conjecture and stories and balling it up into one big ol' Mandela Effect?
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Otm Shank

« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2023, 01:52:22 AM »
Wasn't some of the legal action by the models either centered on or adjacent to Bump, or is that me taking years of conjecture and stories and balling it up into one big ol' Mandela Effect?
Not the cause, but the effect. Because of all the allegations and tabloid fodder floating around, the game was retired. Same with the "reach into the $100 pocket" for a perfect bid. At least that's how I heard it