Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show "Channels" On Roku,...Etc... Thread.  (Read 95899 times)

chargeradiocom

Re: Game Show "Channels" On Roku,...Etc... Thread.
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2022, 01:01:25 AM »
ICYMI, the new Jeopardy! and Wheel channels dropped today on Pluto TV—channels 1005 & 1006 respectively.

This article gives a bit more detail on the channels’ contents. TBH, BUZZR doesn’t need to be too worried about these channels muscling into the classic lane.

https://thestreamable.com/news/plutotv-launches-jeopardy-wheel-of-fortune-free-streaming-channels-with-250-alex-trebek-episodes

Many of the eps in the current package are also On Demand. J! is kind of slim pickings pre-2013, but at least the early days have a presence… which is more than can be said for Wheel.

One other item of note: Apparently as part of the deal, Sony is also working on some new game show projects for CBS.

JMFabiano

« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2022, 02:53:02 PM »
Aversion to classics, J! slightly getting it better than Wheel?

That's Sony in a nutshell.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

BrandonFG

« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2022, 04:55:07 PM »
Quote from: Sony
“Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! are longtime staples of American pop culture and entertainment, and I know Pluto TV audiences will love watching classic episodes of these beloved shows over and over again.”
I know press release quotes are usually something that sounds like it would come from the company rep, but I can't think of a single classic Wheel moment from the last five years*. At least the shopping eps. would invoke a sense of nostalgia for Gen-Z or millennials who stumble across the channel, kinda like Classic Concentration and $ale do on Buzzr.

*/Solving a puzzle with one letter or whatever moment turned into a clickbait article doesn't count
//Besides I'm being rhetorical
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Allstar87

« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2022, 06:43:07 PM »
I can't think of a single classic Wheel moment from the last five years

There was the three weeks Vanna hosted in 2019-2020, but those were not among the On Demand episodes. Never know, maybe the channel will air them.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2022, 09:11:36 PM »
I can't think of a single classic Wheel moment from the last five years*.
*/Solving a puzzle with one letter or whatever moment turned into a clickbait article doesn't count

Rhetoricality aside, I can name precisely three:

* Vanna hosting (with sub-moments for both "Disney characters co-host" and "Pat's daughter co-hosts")
* They gave away an entire house
* Three $100K wins over three consecutive days. (Which the discourse around got annoying, fast, but it WAS a moment)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2022, 10:27:38 PM »
Rhetoricality aside, I can name precisely three:

* Vanna hosting (with sub-moments for both "Disney characters co-host" and "Pat's daughter co-hosts")
* They gave away an entire house
* Three $100K wins over three consecutive days. (Which the discourse around got annoying, fast, but it WAS a moment)
One from this year I fondly remember was the woman who's kids didn't want to be named on TV in case she blew it, and then she did, in fact, blow it.

And then while not your typical game show moment, but still probably noteworthy was that a former voice of Barney was a contestant and IIRC won going away.

/What year was the Hawaii episode that had the couples all guessing horse puzzles in speed-up?
This signature is currently under construction.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2022, 01:09:56 AM »
At least the shopping eps. would invoke a sense of nostalgia for Gen-Z or millennials who stumble across the channel, kinda like Classic Concentration and $ale do on Buzzr.
You wouldn’t really even have to go all the way back to the Shopping era. Just the trilon board, <|$25,000|> sign, and unlimited Free Spin pancakes would make for some good millennial nostalgia.

There was the three weeks Vanna hosted in 2019-2020, but those were not among the On Demand episodes. Never know, maybe the channel will air them.
Are the Vanna-hosted episodes really classic, though? I didn’t think they were particularly well-received, though given the situation & lack of prep time, it (rightly) didn’t seem that Vanna got too much flack personally for it.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2022, 07:33:55 PM »
/What year was the Hawaii episode that had the couples all guessing horse puzzles in speed-up?

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2022, 10:38:47 AM »
FYI, Jeopardy's actual premiere episode has replaced the previously published pilot.

colonial

« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2022, 08:05:45 PM »
Episodes of "Person, Place or Thing" are being posted on Tubi (as it is a Fox First Run show, posting in on the Fox-owned streamer makes sense).

JD

vtown7

« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2022, 08:07:36 AM »
Discovered by chance this morning... on the Roku Channel (at least in Canada) under the Live TV heading I was thrilled to see a channel dedicated to BBC's !mpossible.  Love this format, wish it would get exported.

R.

colonial

« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2022, 10:13:04 AM »
Discovered by chance this morning... on the Roku Channel (at least in Canada) under the Live TV heading I was thrilled to see a channel dedicated to BBC's !mpossible.  Love this format, wish it would get exported.

R.

The "Impossible Channel" is also on Xumo. It appears "Impossible" is no longer in production -- host Rick Edwards announced on social media this summer that the BBC opted not to commit to a ninth season of the show -- so enjoy the reruns if you can.

JD

Kniwt

« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2022, 11:36:57 AM »
The channel for Impossible has started doing something nice, which I wish other channels would do. During the ad breaks when there's no ad to show, they're now showing questions from the show -- with an edited version of Rick's original hosting -- along with the interval timer.

This makes the no-ad ad breaks a lot more palatable! Apologies for the point-at-TV pic, but this has only come up for me on my Fire TV stick; the desktop stream always seems to have actual ads.

Edit to add: Oh, looks like it might they have only one set of questions on the interval timer. It just came up again, and it was the same questions that were on the last no-ad break. Oh well.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 12:11:21 PM by Kniwt »

Sodboy13

« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2022, 11:55:03 PM »
Here's a bit of an odd find: Pluto has four seasons of the UK version of 1 vs. 100 available on demand.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Sodboy13

« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2022, 03:29:27 PM »
The Barker TPIR channel will be adding another 50 episodes to the rotation starting Monday, 10/24. Unlike previous adds, this will be done as a sort of primetime attraction, with 2 new episodes coming in nightly at 8 ET and 9 ET through 11/17.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation