Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Name That Tune w/Jim Lange now on Tubi.tv  (Read 5755 times)

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
Re: Name That Tune w/Jim Lange now on Tubi.tv
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 12:53:50 PM »
OK, that's truly bizarre. I don't see why they didn't cut directly: (a) from the contestant saying the title to Jim announcing the win; or (b) from Jim calling for the judge to Jim announcing the win. Presumably something went really wrong with the re-take, which would explain why only saw the video from it. (They didn't check before everyone went home?)

I just watched it, and it was beyond awkward. I'd have to hope that, perhaps, they edited things a little nicer when the show aired.

Then again, the phrases "poor editing" and "Sandy Frank" tend to go hand in hand.

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 02:32:32 PM »
Maybe this belongs in the Show Summaries board, but I didn't want to start a new topic just for this.

I've been watching the episodes on Tubi from the start, and I just finished what they have labeled as S01:EP5 - Show #115, and holy cow. Beyond the Golden Medley, keep watching after you think the show is over for a jaw-dropping surprise, and an incredibly strange way they edited the video and audio to pull it off.

It sure seemed like Jim was talking to try and explain it and wrap up the show again, but they opted to not use his audio? Very, very strange, especially considering Ray did not give the correct title of the song.
Is it just me or did they just keep looping Ray's spinning reaction over and over for the credits? Felt like I was watching a Boomerang video for a second. It almost bordered on parody.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gamed121683

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2021, 03:00:13 PM »
Then again, the phrases "poor editing" and "Sandy Frank" tend to go hand in hand.

Might be time to break out his theme song again. Hit it, boys!

https://youtu.be/IvN10-n1NBc

Fixed a broken quote box. -knagl
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 03:58:03 PM by knagl »

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2021, 05:04:03 PM »
I'd have to hope that, perhaps, they edited things a little nicer when the show aired.

Do we have any reason to think that what we saw on Tubi is any different than what aired?

Felt like I was watching a Boomerang video for a second. It almost bordered on parody.

I guess I initially just thought it was excitement over the incident, but watching it again you're absolutely right -- they used the same footage a few times in a row. I'm guessing to have something relevant on the screen, but it wound up just contributing to the weirdness of how the whole thing was handled.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2021, 05:33:19 PM »
What you’re seeing on tubi is exactly how it aired.
@lambertman

tyshaun1

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2021, 11:05:34 AM »
What you’re seeing on tubi is exactly how it aired.
Yeah, I don't think anyone would go through the trouble of editing a 37-year-old game show at this point. It just speaks to the cheap feel of this production.

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2021, 12:05:06 PM »
I’m not surprised that’s how it aired - because Sandy Frank - but for a second I thought it could’ve been a studio master, while a different version aired on TV.

A few years ago, when the WKRP box set came out, there was one episode with an alternate ending rarely seen in syndication. Some people said they didn’t even remember it originally airing on CBS. This reminded me a bit of that.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tyshaun1

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2021, 12:56:51 PM »
A few years ago, when the WKRP box set came out, there was one episode with an alternate ending rarely seen in syndication. Some people said they didn’t even remember it originally airing on CBS. This reminded me a bit of that.
There have been several episodes of PYL on Buzzr that have had different edits than what aired on GSN and USA, biggest example being the Halloween '84 episode. The GSN/USA edit had an opening segment (taped during the next session) where Peter showed off various kids' drawings of the Whammy and the ending where Peter dances with a mask on; the Buzzr edit is missing the drawings and the dancing is cut short. Not sure which version aired on CBS, however.

Bob Zager

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2021, 03:40:47 PM »
Wasn't there almost a deal to bring the Tom Kennedy hosted versions (from Ralph Edwards Productions) to GSN?

Otm Shank

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2021, 01:46:09 PM »
Wasn't there almost a deal to bring the Tom Kennedy hosted versions (from Ralph Edwards Productions) to GSN?

I would presume such a move would be nothing more than fleeting discussions, based on the fact that the GSN Pyramid cuckooed and censored any whiff of a harmony for as little as two words.

As for this awkward reveal, I remembered that was the way it originally aired from the unusual way it played out. Also, they reordered in post the yawn-inducing Grand Prize Footage (™ Sandy Frank Productions, all rights reserved) to appear before the endgame in order to condense the time from the end of the game to the reversal.

Based on the video, it looks like the awkwardness started from the producer's table, and Jim Lange's maladroit ad-libbing skills couldn't pull it off. With both looking offstage, and then the contestant's reaction, Lange would have had to explain why the contestant is suddenly cheering over the band playing. Possibly, the band stopped playing for a bit, making it even more awkward, and they decided to not re-create the reaction (actually a good thing). I think Sandy Frank was judge, jury, and executioner, and he had varying degrees of inconsistency throughout. Still, the answer was wrong, and couldn't be brushed off as a minor word in the title, as they occasionally would allow.

The people in the audience that were leaving were in the contestant section. This would lead me to believe this was the last taping in a session, and a couple of frustrated wannabe contestants just bailed out when they weren't going to be called. It probably bumped them out of the contestant pool for future tapings.