The Game Show Forum > Game Show Channels & Networks

MGHS and Kim Hood

(1/8) > >>

MSTieScott:
I am bewildered by week 30 of the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour, which Buzzr is currently in the midst of airing. On the panel, there's the expected collection of mostly supporting actors from current TV series along with a former '70s star who hadn't had a hit in a little while. Also on the panel this week, introduced as "From WTHR in Indianapolis," is Kim Hood.

Kim Hood was a newscaster on Indianapolis's NBC affiliate at the time. As best as I can tell, she wasn't breaking into national renown in 1984. I am fascinated and perplexed at why an anchor/reporter from a seemingly random affiliate is in Los Angeles taping a week of Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour. Gene and Jon are treating her courteously, but nobody seems to know why she's there, including Kim herself.

Was Indianapolis the market that was key to getting the show renewed for a second season? Did Kim Hood do something in 1984 that the internet doesn't remember? Does anybody know what led to this booking?

Adam Nedeff:
This gets weirder: WTHR, the NBC affiliate in Indianapolis, didn't air The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour at all. According to the TV listings I just dug up from May 1984, they filled the time slot with syndicated programming. Specifically...reruns of Match Game.

colonial:
Thank you MSTieScott for asking the question. I did not see the Monday episode, so I was hesitant to ask in case an explanation was mentioned.

There's not much info out there on Hood online. She's listed today as a "documentary producer" and was the third wife of the late Congressman Andrew Jacobs (the two wed a few years after her game show appearance).

I'm curious if Hood's appearance was a combination of her being in Burbank to audition for an NBC series of some sort (*) and her being thrown on air to sub for a celeb who backed out last minute.

JD

(*) -- Forgot where I read this, but it was mentioned in one of Helen Reddy's obituaries that she was speaking to NBC about potential opportunities for a TV series in 1983-84, and that her week on MG/HS was an "audition" of sorts. If true, that at least sets a precedent of NBC using the show to audition talent.

snowpeck:

--- Quote from: Adam Nedeff on June 15, 2021, 02:17:58 AM ---This gets weirder: WTHR, the NBC affiliate in Indianapolis, didn't air The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour at all. According to the TV listings I just dug up from May 1984, they filled the time slot with syndicated programming. Specifically...reruns of Match Game.

--- End quote ---
Not sure of your source, but all of the Indianapolis-area newspapers on Newspapers.com have MGHS listed for 2 p.m. Central on WTHR that month.

Sodboy13:
I went to bed just after the opening last night, and was similarly baffled. My first thought was that this was a new high/low in appeasing an affiliate. My second thought was, given that this was a show that threw a visiting marching band onstage to fill a segment because of a large hole in the rules no one thought to address, that I was the first person to give this a second thought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version