Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Items You Bought Because You Saw Them On A Game Show  (Read 4333 times)

TimK2003

Items You Bought Because You Saw Them On A Game Show
« on: June 14, 2021, 12:34:56 AM »
One of the goals of a game show is to promote products they give away as prizes and/or lovely parting gifts -- or for sponsorships which gives them a bit of income.

Of said product(s) or prize(s), is there anything of note that you purchased as a result of seeing it first on a game show?

Honestly, I cannot recall anything I actually bought because I saw it offered or given away on a game show.

I will say that in the 70's when a lot of shows were giving away their home versions, there were a lot of games I wanted to buy, but never had the money or the means to get them.  However my parents and grandparents got me a Password edition and 2 or 3 versions of Concentration, but that was about it.

And you?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Re: Items You Bought Because You Saw Them On A Game Show
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 12:57:18 AM »
I certainly became aware of what Rice-a-Roni was due to their product placement.  I've purchased a few boxes, it's a tasty little side dish.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 02:25:12 AM »
One dress shirt and a cap from Barney's New York. Because Bill Cullen wore their stuff on Winning Streak.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 10:46:54 AM »
British Knights shoes.  It was the official shoe of Fun House!

Mr. Game Show, because of its appearance on an episode of Hollywood Squares in the mid-80s.

Related, I always liked the Mazda 323/626, specifically from High Rollers in 1987.  I got a Protege (essentially the 323) in 2002, then a Mazda6 (the 626) in 2011.  The Protege lasted almost 10 years and was a good car.  The less said about the 6, the better.

PPatters

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 11:32:22 AM »
Not a game show exactly, but I got my custom wedding tux from Klein Epstein & Parker because that’s where RuPaul’s suits come from on Drag Race.
Patrick

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 12:02:33 PM »
Pretty sure I begged my mom to buy me Boogers gummy candy because of one of the Nick game shows. I wanna say it was “Make the Grade”.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 12:04:48 PM »
There was a stretch in the late 1990s where it felt like every grocery game on “Price” included a product called Toaster Melts, basically Pop Tarts with the filling from Hot Pockets. I wanted to try some so I got them on my next grocery trip. Every one of them was still a solid block of ice after three rounds in the toaster, and I remember they pretty much disappeared very soon after that.

nowhammies10

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 12:17:51 PM »
Probably wouldn't go near Little Debbie Honey Buns or Oatmeal Creme Pies were it not for their many appearances on Price in the late '90s and early aughts.

gameboy2000

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 12:48:23 PM »
I got Dolphins and Friends when I saw them on TPIR.
gameboy2000.weebly.com

whewfan

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 04:26:59 PM »
When Alf demonstrated Mr. Game Show on HS, I definitely wanted one... man was that toy a major disappointment, and it must've been a flop overall, because when I first saw it at Toys R Us, it retailed for over $100!! Over time, I went to Toys R Us again, and the price went WAY down to $40... but it required $10 worth of batteries! I bought it, brought it home, installed batteries and turned it on, only to hear a DEAFENING noise of Mr. Game Show's voice blasting! There was NO volume control for this! I had to cover the speakers with towels to buffer the sound. As for games, you had a Wheel of Fortune knockoff, as well as a straight Hangman, without a wheel to spin, and some trivia game where you needed 3 more to play.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 04:46:28 PM »
I wear Haggar slacks because I first heard of them as a consolation prize on various shows.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

vtown7

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 06:56:45 PM »
100% I bought the two versions of Snapple that Amazing Race "advertised" during their show many seasons back (at least a decade IIRC).

I've also bought and given away toasters at "Reach for the Top" tournaments as that was the super-hyped-up prize on "Test Pattern" back in the day.

R.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 09:59:19 PM »
I wish I knew where it went but for my fifth grade graduation, I purposely picked out a Pierre Cardin tie with circus animals on it largely because of their providing of clothes to Chuck Woolery for Scrabble. (I also got this garish green suit jacket, which I still to this day can’t believe I wore unironically.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SuperMatch93

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 10:13:28 PM »
I wish I knew where it went but for my fifth grade graduation, I purposely picked out a Pierre Cardin tie with circus animals on it largely because of their providing of clothes to Chuck Woolery for Scrabble. (I also got this garish green suit jacket, which I still to this day can’t believe I wore unironically.)

Was it something like these?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 11:26:06 PM »

Was it something like these?

As a matter of fact, yes. The first listing is the exact tie I had. Same color and everything.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022