Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The A/V Club ranks the J! guest hosts (so far)  (Read 1983 times)

BrandonFG

The A/V Club ranks the J! guest hosts (so far)
« on: June 09, 2021, 07:32:59 PM »
https://www.avclub.com/the-jeopardy-guest-hosts-ranked-worst-to-best-1847049741/amp?fbclid=IwAR076vlgAodF0DbJ5aLSl8ZZBsmPit775nA_Iw6PisU2_tJT269p6lJEDzs

I will admit my list is completely different than this author's. For example, I just don't see Bill Whitaker ranking higher than Anderson Cooper or even Katie Couric. He's great on 60 Minutes but way too dry here IMO.

/We did agree on #9 though
//Technically, I added "Me reading in the mirror" at 9
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DoItRockapella

Re: The A/V Club ranks the J! guest hosts (so far)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 08:11:33 PM »
My local paper (the Boston Globe) did a similar list a few weeks ago.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/05/31/arts/every-jeopardy-guest-host-so-far-ranked/

I completely agree with Brandon - why would anybody put Bill Whitaker above Anderson Cooper, as both these lists did?

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 10:15:54 PM »
Aaron's ranked too high. Weird to read this coming from the keyboard of a Packer fan, but I had to say it.

I agree with Ken, Mayim, and Buzzy's placements, but Anderson kind of got a bum rap.

weaklink75

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 05:16:05 PM »
E! has their own list...

https://www.eonline.com/news/1283443/ranking-all-of-the-contenders-in-the-running-to-become-jeopardy-s-new-host

(They have to be close to announcing it, as they're about ready to start taping the new season, correct? I guess they'll hold off until this season is finished- they've got 4 weeks left....)

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 05:50:29 PM »
(They have to be close to announcing it, as they're about ready to start taping the new season, correct? I guess they'll hold off until this season is finished- they've got 4 weeks left....)

...and then six-ish weeks (plus or minus a week) between that show airing and when the new season begins, given the show's current tendency to start mid-September.

Given the (likely) pretense that everyone being aired is up for the job (highly doubt that), they aren't going to want to say "it's Mayim" before LeVar Burton airs; same if they went off the board - as much as sports fans might delight in it, you don't want to announce Dan Patrick before Joe Buck airs after you've already promoted the latter.

Both Ken's first two weeks and the TofC (Buzzy) taped about six weeks before air per those episodes' slates (most other guest hosts have had larger tape-air gaps), and they could absolutely do it closer if they needed to, especially with the show still utilizing a closed set (as has been the case since the pandemic first started).

Flerbert419

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 07:35:31 PM »
They have to be close to announcing it, as they're about ready to start taping the new season, correct?

For those speculating on announcement timing and contenders, this article has some good information.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 07:10:34 PM »
They have to be close to announcing it, as they're about ready to start taping the new season, correct?

For those speculating on announcement timing and contenders, this article has some good information.

Yes, an article which simply requotes other sources and refers to one of the most famous players ever as 'Buss Cohen' is definitely giving us the inside scoop.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.