Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Easiest of Bonus Rounds...  (Read 3167 times)

TimK2003

The Easiest of Bonus Rounds...
« on: May 19, 2021, 03:48:49 PM »
Watched a P+ episode the other day on Buzzr (Elizabeth Montgomery/Wesley Eure).

In the Alphabetics Round, 6 or 7 out of the 10 passwords were names of states, which I found not only unusual, but almost a $5,000 gimme.  Even Elizabeth made a comment on the oddity of the round.

Did P+ do other insanely easy, almost-topical, Alphabetics rounds during its run, or was nobody winning the $5K prize as of late?

That Don Guy

Re: The Easiest of Bonus Rounds...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 03:31:02 PM »
I remember one that was all cities. To show you how hard it was: for E, the clue was, "Scotland."

It wouldn't be the only show where the bonus round was pretty much a giveaway on occasion; how many times did the head-to-head match on CBS Match Game have just one obvious answer, or a bonus stunt on the all-star version of Monty Hall Beat the Clock that came the day after they retired a stunt that wasn't won on five straight shows?

SamJ93

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 04:29:29 PM »
Five words: "Brad Rutter is tonight's Chaser."
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

ET206

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 11:24:56 AM »

In the Alphabetics Round, 6 or 7 out of the 10 passwords were names of states, which I found not only unusual, but almost a $5,000 gimme.  Even Elizabeth made a comment on the oddity of the round.

Did P+ do other insanely easy, almost-topical, Alphabetics rounds during its run, or was nobody winning the $5K prize as of late?

I'm a social studies teacher.  With the overwhelmingly lack of geography knowledge people have today, that particular bonus round would be very difficult.

Neumms

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 11:59:16 PM »
Speaking generally, the Gold Run on Cullen's Blockbusters seems like it was won a lot. Didn't a couple undefeated champs win 20 out of 20 bonuses?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 12:38:47 AM »
Yes. They did. Solo player Leland Y(e)ung is third with 18 wins
Travis L. Eberle

KrisW73

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 08:20:19 AM »

I've been watching and it seemed like there were a lot of non-winning bonus rounds prior to that the states round.

JMFabiano

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 08:18:30 AM »
Speaking generally, the Gold Run on Cullen's Blockbusters seems like it was won a lot. Didn't a couple undefeated champs win 20 out of 20 bonuses?

Sad to say, a lot of the WC's on the current $100K seem to have contestants who breeze through it.  Even the actual $100K rounds.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

alfonzos

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 12:47:37 AM »
Musical Chairs had two different bonus rounds in its brief run and each was won regularly. The first one had the contestant sing the next line of ten songs in sixty seconds. The second one had the contestant unscramble the lyrics of a familiar song within a time limit. The scrambled lyrics one might have worked with a couple of bluff lyrics in the mix.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

jmangin

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 04:42:49 PM »
Pat & Liz McCarthy were the family pair to win 20 Gold Runs.

John Hatten is the only solo player to win 20.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 01:18:12 PM by jmangin »

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 02:30:24 AM »
"Behind these numbers are various amounts of money..."
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

nowhammies10

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2021, 09:31:01 AM »
To that end, "Pull The Handle and Win A Cookie".

JMFabiano

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2021, 09:32:11 AM »
Probably a cheat, but Marshall HS's "bonus game".  (also first season of Bergeron). 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

SamJ93

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2021, 11:34:29 AM »
Probably a cheat, but Marshall HS's "bonus game".  (also first season of Bergeron).

IIRC, the "pick a square and win" format was only used for the first six weeks or so of the Bergeron version, then they added a question (and doubled the scoring in the main game).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 02:21:10 PM by SamJ93 »
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!