Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid WC judging question  (Read 2651 times)

nowhammies10

Pyramid WC judging question
« on: June 03, 2021, 04:01:59 PM »
Watching a rerun from the '80s, and had a question for the masses: the category was THINGS THAT ARE IRISH. Could the clue-giver put on an Irish brogue and say "This accent", in the same breath as "a four-leaf clover" and "Guinness"? 

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Re: Pyramid WC judging question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 04:21:16 PM »
Yes to all of that.

byrd62

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 10:57:22 AM »
Would "Notre Dame" be a legal clue for "Things that are Irish", in that their sports teams are nicknamed the Fighting Irish, or would that be buzzed as "does not fit the subject"?

nowhammies10

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 12:24:58 PM »
Would "Notre Dame" be a legal clue for "Things that are Irish", in that their sports teams are nicknamed the Fighting Irish, or would that be buzzed as "does not fit the subject"?

I'd buzz it, but would allow "Notre Dame's football team" or "Notre Dame's fighters".  Just Notre Dame in itself is not Irish, either when referring to the Indiana school or the French cathedral.

Loogaroo

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 03:55:11 PM »

Buzz. Notre Dame in and of itself isn't Irish. You might be able to get away with "A Notre Dame football player".

That said, if I'm a judge for modern Pyramid I'm going to have the itchiest of trigger fingers when it comes to buzzing clues that just reference the word in the subject instead of actually satisfying it. One can only take so much "Leslie Nielsen's planet" and "Robin Thicke's lines" before it starts to feel like a lazy end-around.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 08:53:09 PM »
Buzz. Notre Dame in and of itself isn't Irish. You might be able to get away with "A Notre Dame football player".
"Dublin. Certain whiskey. St. Patrick's Day."

Rather than coming up with clever ways to hint at the word in question, just give clues that point to the prompt and win the money. You won't have to worry about the judge's wrath either.
Travis L. Eberle

Card Shark

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 09:49:14 PM »
I am sure this incident has been discussed many times over the years. But, for the life of me, how the heck did the judges allow this clue from Tony Randall in the 70's for the subject "Cotton Things" at 2:47?
Adam Strom

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 10:07:27 PM »
They were much more lax in the 70s. That clue has always stood out to me.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 10:37:18 PM »
I am sure this incident has been discussed many times over the years. But, for the life of me, how the heck did the judges allow this clue from Tony Randall in the 70's for the subject "Cotton Things" at 2:47?

I cringed years ago. I cringed now. Way too descriptive.

PPatters

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 11:40:06 PM »

That said, would “little pill bottles’ stuffings” been acceptable? (I get that he used a preposition, but I don’t know if it’s “way” too descriptive. Just, too descriptive.)
Patrick

Kevin Prather

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 01:29:50 AM »

That said, would “little pill bottles’ stuffings” been acceptable? (I get that he used a preposition, but I don’t know if it’s “way” too descriptive. Just, too descriptive.)

I think so. I almost think his clue on the previous subject was more egregious. "A hoop on the street" for "Things you roll."

PPatters

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2021, 09:26:30 AM »
I think so. I almost think his clue on the previous subject was more egregious. "A hoop on the street" for "Things you roll."

I thought the same exact thing!
Patrick

SuperMatch93

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2021, 12:04:09 PM »
The judging was definitely less strict in the NYC episodes. I've seen this exchange in another WC with Tony:

Tony: Little Big Man...Midnight Cowboy...
Contestant: Kris Kristofferson movies?
Tony (quietly): You're close...
Contestant: Dustin Hoffman movies? *ding*
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 03:20:26 PM »
I wonder if they were concerned about the amount of time left and decided to be a little more loose with the judging because of it.
Travis L. Eberle