Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hardest of bonus rounds  (Read 7117 times)

Clay Zambo

Re: Hardest of bonus rounds
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 10:14:20 AM »
Tenable's final round requires a perfect 10/10 to win the money, making it very difficult for teams to take the money home.

See also POINTLESS.
czambo@mac.com

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 05:21:19 PM »
Win Ben Stein's Money. I recall someone (maybe on this forum) once making the case that the win rate and low payout made it mathematically the hardest game show pot to win.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 05:41:07 PM »
Win Ben Stein's Money. I recall someone (maybe on this forum) once making the case that the win rate and low payout made it mathematically the hardest game show pot to win.
I was quite disappointed to find that a tie only got the player an extra $1,000. I thought it should've been at least half of "Ben Stein's Money".

I'd add the Big Numbers from High Rollers, mainly because of the luck element.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

That Don Guy

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 06:08:48 PM »
The first season of Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego? - especially the Europe map, where the host would spend a few seconds describing something in the country first, so if you waited until he actually mentioned the country, you might get through six of the seven before the time ran out.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 10:06:25 PM »
I really wish it had been a weekly event (maybe two episodes on Friday?) with a $10,000 prize. That said the writers certainly knew that they could help the contestant or Ben in the final bout depending on what sort of categories the ten questions came from.

The bonus round on Scattegories, to me, was overly difficult. I don’t know whether that was due to contestants’ incompetence or judging being a little too strict but it seemed like almost every time I watched it, it wasn’t anywhere close to winnable.
That wasn't what I remember--I recall either the premiere or first episode and the team managed to avoid duplicating all five celebrities so it didn't matter who was hiding the money, and even when they went to three tick marks to win the money I don't recall the jackpot rising to more than six grand at any time. Perhaps it would have been better if they had a double-or-quit element where the team had to decide whether to match wits with each new panelist.

Regarding Legends I felt that they should have secured the artifact either in the same location every time (maybe a nook that is accessible from either of the leftmost rooms) rather than a random route that is not helped by the fact that the contestants are moving through 3-D space and we get to see it play out in two dimensios.
Travis L. Eberle

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2021, 10:41:43 PM »
That one team in Spain that played the bonus round on Boom! over 500 times before winning it raises a compelling case for that show.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2021, 10:42:18 PM »
Pasapalabra's jackpot rolled along for a hot minute too.
Travis L. Eberle

alfonzos

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2021, 12:11:04 AM »
When the producers of Caesars Challenge ended the show's run, the bonus round was switched to solving five scrambled words of increasing length in sixty seconds. The problem was the letters were shown much to briefly for the players too hazard a guess before the word display went into a time-wasting scramble mode. The round was only won once so that highlight would be shown on every show just to prove it had been won.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2021, 01:40:52 AM »
Wasn’t “Caesar’s Challenge”’s second bonus round :30, making it even more difficult?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2021, 01:44:13 AM »
Yes, and it was won on consecutive days.
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2021, 01:56:50 AM »
Travis got it; evidence on the Tube of You (no spoilers) suggests it was won at least 3 times. But certainly one of the most difficult bonus rounds, and much harder than the one it replaced.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2021, 12:05:30 PM »
I’ve long been a critic of the Caesars Challenge second bonus, but really the first wasn’t a lot better.

And this also ties into what I felt was the underlying problem with the show from the start: the lame attempt at replicating the shopping round on Sale of the Century. Unless you’ve got a keen eye for random word scrambles, it’s probably gonna take you a few days to get enough letters placed to have your best chance at solving the word. And by that point you’ve probably won somewhere in the upwards of $10,000, at least, in trinkets you know you won’t have use for. And if you take in that you can refuse delivery, the reality is you could still walk with nothing for your effort unless you win the car. (Unless they gave you an option to take your total in cash, which in my opinion they should have done from the beginning.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Toheckwiththis

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2021, 02:13:03 PM »
I'd have to say "Mega Match" is the hardest to win.

rebelwrest

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2021, 03:05:58 PM »
After being reminded of the Game Show Network's April Fools Stunt in 2003, Cram had a VERY difficult bonus round considering you had to do two things at the same time.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

BrandonFG

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2021, 03:09:49 PM »
I’d add “Save to Win” and “Funny You Should Ask”. Both involve a blind shot in the dark for a measly $5,000.