Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Are there any game shows you cannot watch because of the person hosting them?  (Read 12371 times)

aaron sica

If you watch early episodes of Card Sharks from 1978, the game moved at a slower pace, which was common for the shows like this, Feud, etc. when they were new. When those shows found their groove, it was a different story. Compare a Jim Perry-hosted Card Sharks episode from the first few months to several months into the run and you get a much more fast-paced show. Jim kept the game running efficiently, prompted some long-winded contestants to speed up their answer, especially as time would run out, and flip those cards like a boss. So, yes, we did get spoiled by that version.

THIS. The early episodes are tedious to watch. Over time, “I will go on and I will say the next card is higher/lower” got shortened to “Higher/Lower, Jim!”

Neumms

It’s frustratingly counter-intuitive how shows have slowed down at the same time the American attention span has shrunk.

They’re obviously not afraid to edit, so why don’t they to make things faster? In 1978, Match Game was editing “panel deliberations.” In 2021, Alec complains every question about how pokey the celebrities are, yet they don’t bother to fix it.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
THIS. The early episodes are tedious to watch. Over time, “I will go on and I will say the next card is higher/lower” got shortened to “Higher/Lower, Jim!”
I think that's just the case with any game show though. Card Sharks just happens to have lots of moving parts.
Travis L. Eberle