Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Are there any game shows you cannot watch because of the person hosting them?  (Read 12261 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Honestly, I always imagined Card Sharks working without surveys or educated guess questions; just use the same question format from High Rollers. You’d get everything done quick and maybe guarantee yourself two Money Cards per episode.

I may be the only one who thinks that, but there ya have it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

Just thought of one: Billy On the Street. The concept enough is fine...Billy approaches random people and asks them questions or has them play mini-games.

Problem is, Billy is so damn hyper and obnoxious that I feel someone should pay me for making through an episode.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

For the few radio airchecks of Eubanks on L.A. Radio in the 60s I heard over the years, he sounded so laid back, not even close to his TV persona.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Honestly, I always imagined Card Sharks working without surveys or educated guess questions; just use the same question format from High Rollers. You’d get everything done quick and maybe guarantee yourself two Money Cards per episode.

I think the problem there is that you don't have the two-step of "high-low tossup question leads to calling high low on the cards." Plus it does award control to the person who is either better at judging human nature or just luckier in terms of getting the right numbers.

My opinion on Bob has changed--I don't dislike him as a person anymore rather I don't love bringing TNG to CS. His work on Dream House and Trivia Trap was good if not exemplary.
Travis L. Eberle

tyshaun1

My opinion on Bob has changed--I don't dislike him as a person anymore rather I don't love bringing TNG to CS. His work on Dream House and Trivia Trap was good if not exemplary.
To clarify what I meant on "hurting the show" is that the producers seemed to revolve the show more around the audience surveys where Bob could generate more NG-style commentary. They even started doing promos on who would be their participants each week as if that would be the reason to watch, and of course, changed the bonus game to use the same element. I don't blame Bob for that, he's playing to his strength. It just made Card Sharks less about... you know... cards. I do wonder if the bonus game change was the edge for it getting renewed over $25K Pyramid, since both shows were pulling the same ratings at the time (both lousy).

Clay Zambo

I've always thought Eubanks comes off as smarmy. I wouldn't want to buy a used car from him.

Would you buy a new car from him though? ;)

Oh, definitely not. Can you imagine the extended-warranty hard-sell? ;)
czambo@mac.com

Jimmy Owen

Well, then you'd have two shows with similar formats back to back on that April day of 1978. Networks didn't do direct copies of shows back then. GT would not copy HQ.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Clay Zambo

I think the problem there is that you don't have the two-step of "high-low tossup question leads to calling high low on the cards." Plus it does award control to the person who is either better at judging human nature or just luckier in terms of getting the right numbers. \

And that's the elegance of Card Sharks. Ditch that at your peril. You want the show to move faster, coach the contestants not to blather before choosing an answer.
czambo@mac.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
I've always thought Eubanks comes off as smarmy. I wouldn't want to buy a used car from him.

He's a totally different guy when not emceeing a game show. You'd be surprised.

We interviewed him on his involvement in bringing the Beatles to the Hollywood Bowl in the '60s. His game-show smarminess disappears. I've also seen him promoting an item on a home shopping channel. He was masterful. The TV Academy has a "TV Legends" interview with him out of character.

Neumms

Eubanks had annoying mannerisms. One is his shortening people's names on Card Sharks--it's Susannah, not Soos. Another is how he'd slide over and hug wives on Dream House with their husbands standing right there. Yet...he was an engaging host.

Rossi what's-his-name was annoying as hell, but I'd still watch Temptation, I guess hoping it would get better.

ET206

I've not watched Jeopardy! when the guest hosts have been news personalities.  I also don't watch Strayhan's $100,000 Pyramid.  Slightly off topic, if there's no one on the Match Game panel (any version) (other than Brett and CNR) whom I like I don't watch.

chargeradiocom

Rossi what's-his-name was annoying as hell, but I'd still watch Temptation, I guess hoping it would get better.
To be honest, I felt like Rossi was trying. I noticed he even seemed like he was trying to add some of Jim Perry’s tricks as the show progressed, like he’d possibly went back & studied some old Perry episodes. But something just never seemed to click. Of course outside of a few exceptions, that wasn’t a particularly good era for rookie GS hosts. Not sure if it was the hosts themselves being ill fits for the format, or that the producers weren’t taking the time to properly prep them. But in Rossi’s case, I didn’t feel like it was a lack of effort on his part.

Loogaroo

You're assuming that G-T wanted to have two Money Cards in each episode. If anything they would go to great pains to make sure that didn't happen.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

PYLdude

You're assuming that G-T wanted to have two Money Cards in each episode. If anything they would go to great pains to make sure that didn't happen.

Well, there was also that.

(You’re absolutely right by the way.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

PYLdude

To be honest, I felt like Rossi was trying. I noticed he even seemed like he was trying to add some of Jim Perry’s tricks as the show progressed, like he’d possibly went back & studied some old Perry episodes. But something just never seemed to click. Of course outside of a few exceptions, that wasn’t a particularly good era for rookie GS hosts. Not sure if it was the hosts themselves being ill fits for the format, or that the producers weren’t taking the time to properly prep them. But in Rossi’s case, I didn’t feel like it was a lack of effort on his part.

Rossi didn’t bug me as much. I think when you let him off the script, he did a perfectly admirable job. Unfortunately, to me then and still today, the biggest issue with Temptation was the structure of the game itself. I could overlook the Fame Game not being for a pick of the board and Knock-Off I thought was a fun addition. But making every other frigging round a speed round was to me a cop-out. Even if they played the last one for double stakes, which I thought was a cool idea, I already saw this twice during the game. I’ve moved on. Burned out on the concept. You should’ve had a stronger interim game. Hell, even an extra Fame Game could’ve helped.