Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Are there any game shows you cannot watch because of the person hosting them?  (Read 12409 times)

narzo

It's pretty fucked up that a genuinely nice person like Trebeck died but an awful person like Woolery is still around somehow.

Wow, single most offensive thing I've read on this forum, and that says a lot.  Wishing death on a person.  I've met Chuck in person and we had a long conversation.  You've never met a nicer guy. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 09:55:28 PM by narzo »

Kevin Prather

It's pretty fucked up that a genuinely nice person like Trebeck died but an awful person like Woolery is still around somehow.

Wow, single most offensive thing I've read on this forum, and that says a lot.  Wishing death on a person.

I was wondering how long before someone said something.

vexer6

Wow, single most offensive thing I've read on this forum, and that says a lot.  Wishing death on a person.  I've met Chuck in person and we had a long conversation.  You've never met a nicer guy.
If that's the most offensive thing you've read on here consider yourself lucky ;D

Sorry but I don't see anyone that spouts white supremacist garbage as being particularly "nice" >:(

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/chuck-woolery-hitler_n_60b5fa02e4b02a79db91fa2f

There's plenty of people nicer than him, if he's the nicest person you've ever met you need to meet more people.

vexer6

Wow, single most offensive thing I've read on this forum, and that says a lot.  Wishing death on a person.

I was wondering how long before someone said something.
Somehow I very highly doubt my post is the most offensive thing ever said on here.

vexer6

I refuse to watch the new PYL.  Elizabeth Banks gives me the vibe of "Look at me!  I'm a game show host!"

Similarly, I won't be watching the new Quiz Bowl.  I tend to frown on those who commit sexual assaults.

Elizabeth does have some good moments, though.  There have been contestants she played off well in the "let's meet our players" segments. 

There's more moments I think she works more than, say, even Drew Carey.

As for the OP...well, mostly if it's a celebrity I am not a fan of will I not want to watch.  Or just someone who isn't a good host.
I much prefer watching Carey on Price is Right over Barker myself.

vexer6

I can’t change the channel fast enough when the current incarnation of Feud is on with that ignorant, egomaniacal, braying jackass Steve Harvey. His only goal is to create reaction moments for himself. He’s unwatchable.
Problematic views aside, I miss his first couple of seasons, when he played straight man to the contestants, and half the surveys weren't written to elicit the "Steve Blank Stares In Your Direction Before Telling You That You're Going To Hell" TM reaction.

It's a shame, because he was really good then, and I'm not sure if he understands that he's now just part of the joke, not in on it.

As I posted when the new Supermarket Sweep premiered, I cannot stand Leslie Jones and she pretty much single-handedly ruined the revival for me. In fairness, I did tune in to a later episode and she seemed to have toned it down and was a bit more tolerable.
Leslie definitely had some over the top instances, but I chalked hers up to being an actual fan of the show, not someone actually putting on for the camera.

Steve Harvey's downfall was really sad as he was someone I genuinely admired, I loved his sitcom and stand-up specials and I was very happy when he was announced as the new Feud host and I used to regularly watch his episodes on Youtube.  But once he started hanging out with agent orange and spouting stupid garbage I lost a ton of respect for him, admittedly i'd fallen off watching Feud long before Harvey's fall from grave, but seeing how low he's sunk has confirmed to me that I don't really have any desire to watch him on Feud anymore.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
vexer6:

We have received numerous complaints about the tone of your posts.

You need to tone it down A LOT. If we continue to receive complaints about the tone of your posts, your membership WILL be revoked.

Kevin has already warned you. THIS IS YOUR FINAL WARNING.

Card Shark

I know I've stated this before, but I just couldn't stand Bob Eubanks on Card Sharks and I know how much this fact has hurt him to this day lol. There were many points I felt he was being overly obnoxious to a contestant at their expense. I felt he was an asshole to Ray Combs when he was trying to promote Feud in '88. I know Richard Dawson did the same kind of thing, but the difference is that he had that charm and could get the contestant to laugh along with him at his/herself. I felt Eubanks was pompous and that's putting it lightly. I watched it because I like Card Sharks and was thrilled that it was back. But, when Rafferty's version came along, that was all I needed. Is Bob a good game show host? Well, the answer must be yes because he got hired for many shows, so this is all just my opinion.  And given that I teach 6th graders on the concept of fact vs. opinion, I have been making it a point to say that to them just about all the time and it's crossed over into my daily life.
Adam Strom

Kevin Prather

I felt he was an asshole to Ray Combs when he was trying to promote Feud in '88.

Are you referring to the contestant plug battle? Because Ray took far more jabs at Bob than vice versa (all in fun, of course).

knagl

• Executive Producer
I've always thought Eubanks comes off as smarmy. I wouldn't want to buy a used car from him.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
I've always thought Eubanks comes off as smarmy. I wouldn't want to buy a used car from him.

Would you buy a new car from him though? ;)

The smarm is definitely present, everywhere he goes. It’s just a matter of whether it bugs you enough to not watch, I guess. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

I will say this about Bob, overt smarminess aside, most of the shows he’s done he’s carried pretty well. I didn’t like him on Dream House and his Card Sharks work was okay for awhile, but I thought he performed pretty well on Trivia Trap.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Card Shark

I felt he was an asshole to Ray Combs when he was trying to promote Feud in '88.

Are you referring to the contestant plug battle? Because Ray took far more jabs at Bob than vice versa (all in fun, of course).

Yes, that would be the one. I'll have to go back and see if I can find the episode in question. Maybe it's just my disliking of Eubanks that clouded my judgement, but I just got the impression that he was being an asshole to Ray.
Adam Strom

tyshaun1

I know I've stated this before, but I just couldn't stand Bob Eubanks on Card Sharks and I know how much this fact has hurt him to this day lol. There were many points I felt he was being overly obnoxious to a contestant at their expense. I felt he was an asshole to Ray Combs when he was trying to promote Feud in '88. I know Richard Dawson did the same kind of thing, but the difference is that he had that charm and could get the contestant to laugh along with him at his/herself. I felt Eubanks was pompous and that's putting it lightly. I watched it because I like Card Sharks and was thrilled that it was back. But, when Rafferty's version came along, that was all I needed. Is Bob a good game show host? Well, the answer must be yes because he got hired for many shows, so this is all just my opinion. 
I think a lot of Eubanks' TV persona came from his Newlywed Game experience. A show that essentially was a 30 minute interview with questions designed to get illicit or moronic responses. Eubanks seemed to drive Card Sharks with a similar style and eventually Mimi O'Brien capitulated by adding the 10 person surveys and educated guesses when she came aboard. IMO, it hindered the game, and eventually, the show.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
I disagree; I liked the ten person surveys and the educated guess questions. The former usually were good for a laugh or two and I do enjoy trivia 
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Card Shark

It took a bit of getting used to, but I felt it added a good variety of questions while still sticking with the higher/lower format of the questions and playing the cards.
Adam Strom