Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC renews Tonight Show....  (Read 5228 times)

aaron sica

NBC renews Tonight Show....
« on: May 17, 2021, 03:41:36 PM »
...also not to be overlooked in the article: "The late night host is also developing a revival of 'Password'."

https://tv.avclub.com/nbc-goes-all-in-on-jimmy-fallon-and-renews-the-tonight-1846910038

Clay Zambo

Re: NBC renews Tonight Show....
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 04:19:22 PM »
Also not to be overlooked in the article: how Password is referred to as a "Bob Stewart game show." Yes, it is, of course, but what a bit of cool to read that call-out, since I would have expected that Freemantle owned the format (and would refer to it as a Goodson-Todman game, if at all).
czambo@mac.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 05:23:42 PM »
I'm honestly surprised it took this long. They do a really good job with it on his show.

Hear me out...a late-night, lowish stakes version to replace Lilly Singh's show or for Peacock. By "lowish", I mean under $10K.

/Wouldn't be against a daytime version replacing an hour of Today
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Sodboy13

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 07:09:52 PM »
Whatever the plan is, I hope it's not NBC primetime, because that's going to go to hell before it leaves the starting gate.

(It's going to be NBC primetime.)
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BillCullen1

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 07:25:32 PM »
As long as they don't make the top prize a million dollars (again), it'll have a chance. A huge money prize makes the game play take a back seat.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 07:26:00 PM »
Whatever the plan is, I hope it's not NBC primetime, because that's going to go to hell before it leaves the starting gate.

(It's going to be NBC primetime.)
I discussed this with a few others earlier. The general consensus is that, with Jimmy behind this, it should be closer to a lighthearted game like Hollywood Game Night or Game of Games vibe, as opposed to melodramatic one like The Wall or American Ninja Warrior.

/I hope
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

byrd62

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 07:32:17 PM »
Deadline's story on the Password reboot, including a color picture of the set from the original CBS version's first season with Allen Ludden.  Looks like the Mar. 27, 1962 primetime episode with celebrity guests Jane Fonda and James Mason.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/jimmy-fallon-developing-reboot-of-classic-gameshow-password-nbc-1234758776/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:23:19 PM by byrd62 »

gamed121683

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 08:30:03 PM »
Deadline's story on the Password reboot, complete with a color picture of the set from the original CBS version's first season with Allen Ludden.  Looks like the Mar. 27, 1962 primetime episode with celebrity guests Jane Fonda and James Mason.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/jimmy-fallon-developing-reboot-of-classic-gameshow-password-nbc-1234758776/

I've seen this picture before! I believe TV Guide used it in their 40th Anniversary issue.

TimK2003

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 08:31:41 PM »
Advice to 30 Rock:  You DON'T have to reinvent the set...Just build a more durable version of the Tonight Show/Password set and use the same font for the words.

It's OK to upgrade & tweak the scoreboard graphics, though. 

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 09:00:37 PM »
30 Rock has been off the air for years.
Travis L. Eberle

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 09:15:02 PM »
30 Rock has been off the air for years.

I think he meant 30 Rock as in the building, not the show.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 11:10:11 PM »
Advice to 30 Rock:  You DON'T have to reinvent the set...Just build a more durable version of the Tonight Show/Password set and use the same font for the words.

Also, bring over The Roots and have them play the Cobert theme.

/or just use the original recording......that worked out well for Baldwin MG

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 12:22:35 AM »
Deadline's story on the Password reboot, complete with a color picture of the set from the original CBS version's first season with Allen Ludden.  Looks like the Mar. 27, 1962 primetime episode with celebrity guests Jane Fonda and James Mason.

I've seen this picture before! I believe TV Guide used it in their 40th Anniversary issue.
When they had that original set in the beginning, what was the theme music they used then (with a lot of strings and horns)?
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

DYosua

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 08:07:34 AM »
When they had that original set in the beginning, what was the theme music they used then (with a lot of strings and horns)?
It was "Holiday Jaunt," a library music piece by Kurt Rehfeld.

Argo

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 11:44:00 AM »
I find it a bit funny that Johnny Carson went from game show host to Tonight Show host...Jimmy going the opposite.

Like others here I hope they make it a watchable game and not some sort of big money, space aged, big budget show that nobody can recognize. A lot of producers seems to like the ideas of classic shows, but don't know how to modernize them properly. Million Dollar Password definitely had this problem. The media hypes up the return of classic shows, then when they actually get on the air they're unwatchable. Family Feud is probably the only show I don't turn off if I'm flipping through channels. TPIR, J!, WoF, just gone too far for me. I blame Fred Rogers and Barker for that. Nothing changed for years. Everything felt nostalgic and familiar. Definitely not how the real world and the fake Hollywood world sees things, but there you go.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 11:54:34 AM by Argo »