Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Broadway Matinee Sunday on Buzzr  (Read 6456 times)

BillCullen1

Broadway Matinee Sunday on Buzzr
« on: May 15, 2021, 10:51:37 AM »
Heads up. Buzzr is airing shows featuring Broadway stars from 3 to 7 pm ET. Stars include Julie Andrews and composer/lyricist Steven Sondheim. B&W and color shows include Password, IGAS and WML. I think this was originally scheduled for Saturday, but it's on Sunday May 16.

Matt Ottinger

Re: Broadway Matinee Sunday on Buzzr
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 10:50:53 AM »
At the very least, the Sondheim show is new to both Buzzr and GSN.  Broadway fans have wanted to see it for ages.  I'll enjoy watching the stream, but as always, it would be appreciated if this gem gets loaded to YouTube, or distributed privately.  Thank you.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 12:04:43 PM »
At the very least, the Sondheim show is new to both Buzzr and GSN.  Broadway fans have wanted to see it for ages.  I'll enjoy watching the stream, but as always, it would be appreciated if this gem gets loaded to YouTube, or distributed privately.  Thank you.

DOUBLE-TRIPLE-QUADRUPLE-QUINTUPLE co-sign. I've got to work this afternoon — I'm not complaining; it's the first day of rehearsal for my first in-person show in over a year! — but I can't get VLC to figure out how to pick up the stream. I would be INCREDIBLY grateful for a copy of this (particularly the Sondheim-Remick PASSWORD).

Pretty please?!?
czambo@mac.com

jalman

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 12:45:58 PM »

DOUBLE-TRIPLE-QUADRUPLE-QUINTUPLE co-sign. I've got to work this afternoon — I'm not complaining; it's the first day of rehearsal for my first in-person show in over a year! — but I can't get VLC to figure out how to pick up the stream. I would be INCREDIBLY grateful for a copy of this (particularly the Sondheim-Remick PASSWORD).

Pretty please?!?
I've a recording set. Hopefully all goes well.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 03:47:19 PM »
Got it.   They left in the original commercials on the kinescope and it's time for me to issue a mea culpa and admit I was wrong when we were looking at the publicity photos of this episode a few months back and were certain that Joan Fontaine was among the group of celebs who played.     It turned out that Lee Remick's mother Pat Packard is very much a dead ringer for Fontaine and it was her in the photographs.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade

tvmitch

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 04:29:54 PM »
Here is a file from my DVR if you would like to download. I'll keep it live for a couple weeks. It is unedited and is stretched for some reason.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2likznuwgqeqsea/Password%201961-10-02%202021-05-16-1459.mpg?dl=0
You should follow me on Twitter

BillCullen1

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 07:30:23 PM »
This was nice to see. Other celebs seen on the various shows included Florence Henderson, Joel Grey, Betsy Palmer, Larry Kert and Chita Rivera. For the record, according to Wiki, Mr. Sondheim spells his first name Stephen, not Steven. He celebrated his 91st birthday in March.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 11:11:51 PM »
Thanks, all!
czambo@mac.com

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 10:37:35 AM »
A complete tangent, but after having seen two new-to-Buzzr eps of it in the marathon yesterday and remembering that they typically do it to the main run shows as well: Did any info ever come to light about why Buzzr always edits out the panelist intros on the syndicated WML?  Timing-wise they run shows that are longer every day, the intros never use any licensed music or footage, plugging other works is common on every other celeb-driven show they run...it makes no sense.

Bryce L.

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 11:15:16 AM »
Probably the same reason they split at least one game of Moore TTTT into two acts in every episode they run, when both games were standalone acts in their uncut forms: to fit more ads in during the broadcast.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 12:07:07 PM »
A complete tangent, but after having seen two new-to-Buzzr eps of it in the marathon yesterday and remembering that they typically do it to the main run shows as well: Did any info ever come to light about why Buzzr always edits out the panelist intros on the syndicated WML?  Timing-wise they run shows that are longer every day, the intros never use any licensed music or footage, plugging other works is common on every other celeb-driven show they run...it makes no sense.

After checking some unedited GSN reruns, the WML intros took between a minute :15 and a minute :30.
Perfect for some more commercial space.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 12:26:20 PM »
That wasn't really the why I was aiming for but I realize in retrospect I worded it super broadly and was probably asking a question that's unknowable all but internally. That's on me and I apologize but appreciate the answers.

Obviously the less program content time in the slot the more advertising time you have. That's TV 101 (probably flawed thinking in a world where ad-free streaming is eating linear TV's lunch but people are slow to change.) 

Deep down I was more curious how they arrived at "The couple hundred dollars tops (if that) being made from this 2:00 direct response spot absolutely justifies hacking out a minute and a half of the show that's actual content and creates a noticeable on-air edit".

Because I know how much Buzzr's usual ads (generally direct response with a handful of bigger ad buys) bring in at local affiliates in several markets and at one particularly prominent set of national cable networks and it is NOT a lot of money, both in the initial buy and even on the backend. Like, I've literally seen direct response ads get dropped for time in lieu of still running generic station/network promos.

Is Buzzr really operating on margins that thin? 

Anyway, the marathon was super enjoyable, and always enjoy seeing new things. This was fun and would love to see them do more of it.

TimK2003

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 02:12:59 PM »
That wasn't really the why I was aiming for but I realize in retrospect I worded it super broadly and was probably asking a question that's unknowable all but internally. That's on me and I apologize but appreciate the answers.

Obviously the less program content time in the slot the more advertising time you have. That's TV 101 (probably flawed thinking in a world where ad-free streaming is eating linear TV's lunch but people are slow to change.) 

Deep down I was more curious how they arrived at "The couple hundred dollars tops (if that) being made from this 2:00 direct response spot absolutely justifies hacking out a minute and a half of the show that's actual content and creates a noticeable on-air edit".

Because I know how much Buzzr's usual ads (generally direct response with a handful of bigger ad buys) bring in at local affiliates in several markets and at one particularly prominent set of national cable networks and it is NOT a lot of money, both in the initial buy and even on the backend. Like, I've literally seen direct response ads get dropped for time in lieu of still running generic station/network promos.

Is Buzzr really operating on margins that thin? 

Anyway, the marathon was super enjoyable, and always enjoy seeing new things. This was fun and would love to see them do more of it.

That extra time made for commercials may be good for over-the-air Buzzr channels, but most of the time (in my little corner of the country), it usually means an extra 3 or 4 verses of the Buzzr "We'll be right back" scat music on the Roku Channel.

I'd much rather they leave the shows uncut than to hear the vibraphone music for the umpteenth time in the hour.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 04:13:35 PM »
Audrey Meadows made reference to being "married to the boss." Anybody know to whom was she referring?
czambo@mac.com