Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question regarding the show "Greed"  (Read 3146 times)

trustno1

Question regarding the show "Greed"
« on: May 04, 2021, 07:01:02 AM »
Hello there.

I think many of you remember the infamous episode of Greed in which one contestant got a question about the host (Chuck Woolery) wrong.
Now, this was an episode in which there was no qualifying question, as it was a "TV special" episode. 
As this was the first question, three of the five team members didn't get to answer a question.
My question is: do you think those three deserved another opportunity, particularly during a "Tournament of Losers" episode?
"Let the Memory live again!" - Cats

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Question regarding the show "Greed"
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 08:20:38 AM »
I would have thrown those folks back in the player pool.
Travis L. Eberle

BillCullen1

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 11:01:53 AM »
I remember this episode. Chuck did a great job keeping his composure after the contestant said "You never hosted Wheel of Fortune." He said this after saying he had followed Chuck's career - yeah, sure. The other contestants looked pissed, understandingly. Shame they lost because of one guy's ignorance, but that's how the chips fell.

JMFabiano

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 11:14:34 AM »
I remember this episode. Chuck did a great job keeping his composure after the contestant said "You never hosted Wheel of Fortune." He said this after saying he had followed Chuck's career - yeah, sure. The other contestants looked pissed, understandingly. Shame they lost because of one guy's ignorance, but that's how the chips fell.

No truth to the rumor that Sony execs stood outside of the studio with their mindwiping guns beforehand, LOL.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Loogaroo

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 03:50:44 PM »
Shame they lost because of one guy's ignorance, but that's how the chips fell.

Two guys' ignorance. The captain had a chance to veto the answer and go with something else.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

chargeradiocom

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 06:01:42 PM »
I remember this episode. Chuck did a great job keeping his composure after the contestant said "You never hosted Wheel of Fortune." He said this after saying he had followed Chuck's career - yeah, sure.
I remember this as well. Chuck did crack a joke, something like, “Since he’s such a fan of my career,” but that was about all he said about it.

Two guys' ignorance. The captain had a chance to veto the answer and go with something else.
You’re not wrong. But in fairness to the captain, if he was the least bit shaky on the answer, and the other guy was presenting himself as an expert on the subject, I get why his instinct would’ve been to go with the self-proclaimed expert, even if his initial thought was that the answer was something different.

vexer6

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 10:47:49 PM »
I think they definitely deserved another opportunity.  Hell this show as a whole deserved another opportunity, too bad it got canned just because the then president of FOX hated game shows(That's also why "It's Your Chance of a Lifetime" never got picked up for a full series).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 10:52:03 PM »
[citation needed]
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 12:09:57 AM »
If only it didn't have that Fox layer of tackiness, which then was new and surprising.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 12:39:15 AM »
What you call tackiness I call atmosphere, and I thought it added to the proceedings.
Travis L. Eberle

vexer6

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 01:19:02 AM »
What you call tackiness I call atmosphere, and I thought it added to the proceedings.

Agreed, I like most of the shows that tried to follow in Millionaire's footsteps, TVTropes even has an entry for it: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhoWantsToBeWhoWantsToBeAMillionaire

Neumms

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 01:27:17 AM »

It wasn't the set design. I liked that.

There were (as I recall) too many popularity questions in the stacks. The Terminator questions were too basic for a dramatic moment. They had the Fox announcer before breaks. They changed the rules pretty often. Finally the expression, "do you feel the need for Greed?" doesn't make grammatical sense.

WWTBAM was well done. Greed, by comparison, was tacky.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 01:31:46 AM »
I think the survey questions were a point of criticism here, though not sure a Fame Game makes the showdown better—just longer. Interesting thought though.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 03:00:11 AM »
...not sure a Fame Game makes the showdown better—just longer. Interesting thought though.

Fame Game was what I was thinking. Or a multi-answer question where the two go back and forth until one misses, although that would take longer. It would've helped a little if the prop with the buttons didn't wobble when hit.