Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century - New/ish to Buzzr  (Read 4006 times)

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
$ale of the Century - New/ish to Buzzr
« on: May 03, 2021, 07:33:10 PM »
We continue with 1988, not with Phil's run, Trick or Treat Week or True Romance Tournament, but with Thanksgiving Week.
Judging from the episode guide, we've not seen Dianne's episodes, but have seen what will come up later.

DJDustman

Re: $ale of the Century - New/ish to Buzzr
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 11:06:57 AM »
I would suggest spoilers space or something. Some of us haven't seen these yet.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 08:07:28 PM »
I would suggest spoilers space or something. Some of us haven't seen these yet.

For a 30 year old show whose reruns have been skipped or aired in over 5 years, with no direct spoilers?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 08:19:08 PM »
I know this is a sore spot for some, because there's surely a time that spoiler alerts should lift, but I for one stopped watching $ale reruns solely because of fan posts. For whatever reason, an episode would hit GSN or Buzzr, and someone felt the need to post, "oh this is the beginning of [XXX] winning the lot!!" Great. Now I can skip it for 8 days. I know it's not wholly rational.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 10:18:06 PM »
I want to bounce a thought off of Jason here, because watching Millionaire reruns isn't the same since I know whether the contestant is going to win a bonanza. I don't recall ever revealing the outcome of an episode of that, but I wouldn't begrudge someone saying that "the $28,800 win on Card Sharks is tomorrow" or "Dan Avila on Greed coming up" because I figure those are so well known that everyone has had a chance to either see it or knows about it. Sale of the Century is a little different because if it isn't shopping someone could win a small bundle every day and if you know the name of someone before the fact you'll know how far they go. I guess I don't know where the line is. I try to be polite but also realizing that the shows we're spoiling are decades old.
Travis L. Eberle

Bryce L.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 10:29:04 PM »
For me, when I'm making schedule guides for my Facebook group, the only times I outright spoil something like that is if it's an undefeated champion (like Alice Conkright on Sale, or Pat and Liz McCarthy on Blockbusters) or a moment that's gone viral on YouTube before (like the episode where Summer Bartholomew was the answer to that day's first Fame Game question, or the "September" incident with the Trejo family on Family Feud).

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 01:00:42 AM »
I'd say that it's always better to err on the side of caution. Not everybody has/had GSN, so it's entirely possible that they missed seeing the most recent pass some of these shows received. And vague specifics are still spoilery -- if a contestant's name warrants mentioning, then 95% of the time, it's because they were successful.

I've been watching Blockbusters and Press Your Luck whenever they're new to Buzzr. I don't remember which Blockbusters champions went on huge winning streaks, and I don't remember which PYL episodes had memorable endings, so I'd be disappointed if somebody came on here and said something like "soon they'll air the episode where all three contestants tie at $0." Even if that person didn't say which episode it was, halfway through the episode, I'd be able to see it coming, an that would take away all of the fun of seeing it play out.