Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting PSA on "1M Chance of a Lifetime"  (Read 2390 times)

BrandonFG

Interesting PSA on "1M Chance of a Lifetime"
« on: April 18, 2021, 01:01:57 AM »
I'm watching an early episode of The $1M Chance of a Lifetime, and during the credits, I notice something very random.

At about the 27:18 mark, Jim Lange goes into an alert for a missing girl from Staten Island, NY. Now, I know in the 80s PSAs were a big thing, where children's sitcoms or cartoons always did "very special episodes" or included a safety tip at the end to teach kids a lesson. But I think this is the first time I've ever seen a game show lend itself to such a heavy cause. Was this a regular occurrence on Chance?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7uaexy
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JMFabiano

Re: Interesting PSA on "1M Chance of a Lifetime"
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 03:04:43 AM »
What I get out of this:

1) Holy crap the prototype Lorimar-Telepictures logo was used, with the respective jingles.  I thought Johnny talked over them instead.

2) This version of the theme = the superior version. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 08:04:02 AM »
But I think this is the first time I've ever seen a game show lend itself to such a heavy cause. Was this a regular occurrence on Chance?

To answer the original question, I remember watching this show several times between WAVE-TV in Louisville and KHJ in LA (army kid), and no, I don't recall seeing any missing children bumpers come up during the run. That being said, the theme music was playing as Jim read the copy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:35:47 AM by tyshaun1 »

JMFabiano

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 12:04:01 PM »
But I think this is the first time I've ever seen a game show lend itself to such a heavy cause. Was this a regular occurrence on Chance?

To answer the original question, I remember watching this show several times between WAVE-TV in Louisville and KHJ in LA (army kid), and no, I don't recall seeing any missing children bumpers come up during the run. That being said, the theme music was playing as Jim read the copy.

I was rereading the thread about the discovery of 1974 Joker's Wild episodes, and some ended with an American Heart Association spiel.

SamJ93

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 12:43:31 PM »
Was the girl ever found?
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 12:51:04 PM »
What I get out of this:

1) Holy crap the prototype Lorimar-Telepictures logo was used, with the respective jingles.  I thought Johnny talked over them instead.

A random missing child PSA on a game show and that's what you got out of this? :P

Was the girl ever found?
As of a few years ago, I'm afraid not.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tyshaun1

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 01:23:22 PM »

I was rereading the thread about the discovery of 1974 Joker's Wild episodes, and some ended with an American Heart Association spiel.

I'm just gonna say it. 2 posts that have nothing to do with the original post. PJTP. #Throwback

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 01:50:00 PM »
What I get out of this:

I'm genuinely curious -- do you even grasp how much of a jackass it makes you look like when you respond to a post about what's essentially an Amber Alert by yammering on about logos and music?

colonial

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 02:54:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgGXVyju99U

Here is another PSA featured on "Chance of a Lifetime." Per the description, these were done off-and-on during the first season of the show on behalf of "Find The Children," a non-profit group founded by the late TV producer and casting director Linda Otto.

http://findthechildren.com/about-us

JD

JMFabiano

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 09:13:44 AM »
Joker's Wild had a PSA.  $1M had a PSA. 

A game show that had a PSA.  Yeah, totally different things, totally off-topic.  Got it. 

I am big enough to admit/apologize that my other post was totally OT, fine.  I'll give you that one, even say I was kinda out of line to mention a non-$1MCOAL example here (...but name calling because of it?  Not so much.) 

That said, I'll gladly move along. 

I do vaguely remember the COAL examples.  Don't remember if anyone else did it. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:33:04 AM by JMFabiano »

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 11:39:59 AM »
I do vaguely remember the COAL examples.  Don't remember if anyone else did it.

...and thats what you should have said from the jump.

The problem is that there's been a shift in the community to derail conversations and discuss minute details that had nothing to do with the conversation or "flex" on what they know. Keep in mind, this isn't a slam at you, its something that I and others have noticed and its just...frustrating.
insert signature here