Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: American Gladiators getting the "30 for 30" treatment  (Read 1938 times)

colonial

American Gladiators getting the "30 for 30" treatment
« on: April 12, 2021, 10:37:48 AM »
Per Deadline, ESPN is planning to devote an episode of its popular "30 for 30" sports documentary series on "American Gladiators."

https://deadline.com/2021/04/american-gladiators-doc-espn-30-for-30-vice-studios-ben-berman-1234732187/

Not much has been revealed about the documentary, only that it will focus on show co-creator Johnny Ferraro and feature "many of the larger than life Gladiators." Also no announcement on when it will air, where it will air (ESPN has been mixing up premieres on both the mothership and ESPN+ streaming), and how long it will be.

The documentary is being produced by Vice Studios, which has a decent track record with docu-style programming ("Dark Side of the Ring" is hit-and-miss depending on the subject).

I'm curious if Mike Adamle will be able to participate given his health issues (he announced in 2017 that he has dementia). He and his wife were featured in an NBC Chicago special on his life last February.

Also curious how much they will touch on the 2008 NBC revival.

JD
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 01:24:46 PM by colonial »

weaklink75

Re: American Gladiators getting the "30 for 30" treatment
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 12:46:18 PM »
Should be interesting- wonder how much they'll talk about how the show was created. And I also wonder how many of the original Gladiators will be interviewed for this (I know 2 of them have passed- Siren and Hawk)..

SuperMatch93

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 02:25:28 PM »
I wonder if they'll discuss Gladiators 2000 or the attempt at a live show in Vegas that fell apart due to a securities fraud scandal.

(Fun fact: I went to high school with Mike Adamle's daughter.)
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

colonial

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 02:52:40 PM »
There's definitely a lot of directions this documentary can go through, and this could easily be a two-hour documentary if edited and presented correctly. I'm just getting a vibe that it will be narrowly focused on Johnny Ferraro and his ups and downs and go about an hour.

-- If the doc can get Ryan Seacrest on the record, then we'll probably have something on "Gladiators 2000."
-- A quick look at the "Gladiator" ripoff shows is also likely, especially if they can get Terry Crews on the record (given his time on "Battle Dome")
-- I can imagine there will be a long look at selling this show to the public initially (IIRC, "Roller Games" got all of the initial media attention and prime syndie slots in Fall 1989 while "Gladiators" was lucky to get even a mention). I was on a family vacation to Universal Hollywood in 1989 and "Gladiators" was one of the shows taping at the studio that day. To say they were struggling to fill the seats would be an understatement. A Universal intern came up to my family while we were standing in line for rides, drinks, photos, etc. to ask if we wanted tickets to see "Gladiators." After the third line interruption by the same intern, my mother told the guy that she'd place him headfirst in a trash can if he bothered us again. He didn't bother us again.

Hopefully the doc will also feature some of the memorable contestants, such as Wesley "Two Scoops" Berry. 

JD

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 09:55:30 AM »
I'm curious if Mike Adamle will be able to participate given his health issues (he announced in 2017 that he has dementia). He and his wife were featured in an NBC Chicago special on his life last February.

Also curious how much they will touch on the 2008 NBC revival.

I'm excited, and I REALLY hope they can get Mike for this. He was a fitted glove for that show.

They've got to touch on the cardboard inserts in the stands in Season 1.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 01:13:59 PM »
Bumping- ESPN just ran a promo for its upcoming 30 for 30 films, and American Gladiators was included, though it was just a clip from the show.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 06:37:28 PM »
A few years ago there was an article that talked about the origins and history of the show, and included interviews with original Gladiators. I can't find it, but it was very fascinating. IIRC, no one knew what to expect and didn't have high hopes for the show.

Never mind. Found it.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!