Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC shopping revivals of Concentration and TTD?  (Read 2376 times)

chargeradiocom

NBC shopping revivals of Concentration and TTD?
« on: April 11, 2021, 12:36:22 PM »
BuzzerBlog is reporting on social media this morning that NBCUniversal is shopping possible revivals of Concentration and Tic Tac Dough. Nothing concrete yet as far as a pilot, but BB posted screen shots of the callouts from NBCU’s format sales catalog.

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159069309068493&id=41501058492

BrandonFG

Re: NBC shopping revivals of Concentration and TTD?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 01:12:58 PM »
I'm intrigued at what they have in mind, and with nothing set in stone I'll keep as open of a mind as possible. But when I see things like "unpredictable and packed with drama" or something about a rooting section for the bonus round, I'm kinda holding my nose. I shouldn't be getting Deal or No Deal or The Wall vibes from a press release.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 01:22:38 PM »
All I know is that if they were to turn Tic Tac Dough's bonus game into Dragon's Lair, I'm in.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 02:28:59 PM »
I'm intrigued at what they have in mind, and with nothing set in stone I'll keep as open of a mind as possible. But when I see things like "unpredictable and packed with drama" or something about a rooting section for the bonus round, I'm kinda holding my nose. I shouldn't be getting Deal or No Deal or The Wall vibes from a press release.
This was pretty much my feeling as well. Both shows would be worthy of a revival, but with where the industry is at currently, I’m not sure either show is the kind of format I’d trust producers to do particularly well today. The fact that they’re trying to stretch them to an hour each is something of a red flag to me. That said, I’d want to see how they do them before totally writing them off.

Sodboy13

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 02:39:21 PM »
When I read that TTD bonus round description, my first thought was that they're going to try to copycat the updated Press Your Luck format, and if they are, it's going to go very poorly.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Neumms

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 04:29:58 PM »
It said Concentration would have three games per episode, as many as we could expect. They could have jump-in puzzles to break things up, ideally with tiles revealed in random not numerical order. The set could be incredible. I'd be optimistic.

Tic Tac Dough is more problematic. Without an incredible winning streak, games are the same thing over and over. That's what killed it in the 80s. If the Dragon's Lair involves family members being singed by bursts of fire, though, I take it all back.

JMFabiano

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 06:07:28 PM »
When I read that TTD bonus round description, my first thought was that they're going to try to copycat the updated Press Your Luck format, and if they are, it's going to go very poorly.

I can see it work thusly:

They keep playing the nine numbers, get the money, avoid the dragon deal, only for increased stakes each time.  Possibly more dragon squares at different plateaus.  Avoid the dragon X amount of games, win the top prize.  You can walk away with what you get from successful rounds every time you beat the dragon. 

Whether or not it can be as interesting as PYL's remains to be seen. 

I will say I've come to like the PYL '19+ bonus.  The family members aren't as cheesy as it is on other shows.  And it's still the friggin' Big Board, which keeps it interesting. 

EDIT and OT: Do we know the procedure for picking the personal prizes in PYL's bonus?  What input does the contestant give; i.e. how specific is it?  Cause I'm thinking, if I go on the show, research prices and suggest super expensive stuff in hopes of it helping to reach the $500K goal.  But...if they just ask for ideas instead of specific prizes instead...forget that.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 06:15:39 PM »
All I know is that if they were to turn Tic Tac Dough's bonus game into Dragon's Lair, I'm in.

Rapping Dragon : I won't let you get the cash, I won't let you rest, and boy does Princess Daphne have large....
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Jumpondees

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 12:00:18 AM »
EDIT and OT: Do we know the procedure for picking the personal prizes in PYL's bonus?  What input does the contestant give; i.e. how specific is it?  Cause I'm thinking, if I go on the show, research prices and suggest super expensive stuff in hopes of it helping to reach the $500K goal.  But...if they just ask for ideas instead of specific prizes instead...forget that.

Based on the reaction of the contestants to when these prizes come up -- I'm sure there is some form of conversation during the contestant audition/interview process where casting producers ask certain open-ended questions to get clues and ideas for the "personalized prizes".  I'm sure it's not a straight forward, "Hey, if you make the bonus round, what do you want on the board?"