Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What Happened to "Sports Jeopardy?"  (Read 1021 times)

colonial

What Happened to "Sports Jeopardy?"
« on: April 09, 2021, 07:31:12 PM »
With Aaron Rodgers' guest hosting of J! the talk of the internet, SI writer and former Sports Jeopardy contestant Dan Gartland recently wrote about the sports game show that abruptly stopped production a few episodes into its third season, never to return ...

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2021/04/09/daily-cover-sports-jeopardy-aaron-rodgers-dan-patrick-alex-trebek?fbclid=IwAR1pLVoa6Ur4vbI53oW5QhUTAk_xM3C6oz34qlSwAyYtN4bqQw3MTxtQOhc

Reading Dan Patrick's comments in the article, I get a similar vibe to when I worked at Turner Broadcasting and WarnerMedia back in the day. I was there for the launch of CNN Pipeline (a digital take on all-news radio and TV) and Great Big Story (a venue for evergreen feature videos on a variety of topics). They were promoted as the "next big thing" in digital broadcasting that would revolutionize the game. Yet management had no clue how to promote it, no idea how to pitch it to advertisers, continually clashed with "old guard" media types, etc. Both would eventually go defunct a few years later. Perhaps Sony had that issue trying to sell a game show on a digital platform that was the store-brand cola to the "Coke/Pepsi" that's Netflix.

The author also goes into brief detail regarding the history of sports game shows and how the format should translate into a successful series but, for the most part, has not.

JD

(Admittedly had to look up what in the world "Sports Snapshot" was. There is an episode of the show up on YT posted by a former contestant, but the sound is non-existent for all but the first few seconds.)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Re: What Happened to "Sports Jeopardy?"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 07:55:08 PM »
As happens all too often on the internet, the answer given to the title question is basically *shruggy emoji*... but there is some interesting content there.
@lambertman