Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Losing Contestant Asked Back because of Bad Celebrity Partner?  (Read 6471 times)

tvmitch

Re: Losing Contestant Asked Back because of Bad Celebrity Partner?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 11:25:40 AM »
Almost every celebrity who appears on a game show takes into consideration the prospect of future bookings. A really bad celebrity (George Peppard) would never get a repeat booking. Someone like Richard Paul, Bill Daily or David Doyle could look forward to many repeat bookings and the quick $1,000 they could pick up on a Saturday or Sunday.
Was this the going rate for a celebrity to be on a game show? Was the $1K scale, or did scale figure into the amount? Was always curious how much the celebrities got paid for a quick 5 shows of work.
You should follow me on Twitter

BillCullen1

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 11:38:11 AM »
I always thought at least back in the 70s scale was $750 for five shows. I read that on Hollywood Squares, everyone got $750 for five shows except Paul Lynde. He got $1,500. I also believe for Pyramid, Bob Stewart paid $1,000 for five shows to entice celebs to fly in from California.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2021, 09:33:07 AM »
Has a losing contestant ever been asked to return because he/she was partnered with a celebrity who seemingly threw the game or didn't make any effort to win?  I know celebrities can make honest mistakes like giving a two-word clue on Password or accidentally using a part of the clue on Pyramid, but sometimes they say something so stupid (Tom Poston saying "wronger" to the contestant's clue "writer") that deliberately causes a loss. I don't think a contestant should be penalized for something like that, but I also know it would be hard to prove that the celebrity screwed up on purpose.
On Pyramid, the winning contestant has almost always had the option to give the clues in the Winners Circle. On the current version, we were heavily encouraged to give, to the point where being a good WC clue giver was germane to getting a spot on the show; I'm guessing it's for the reasons you listed above.

I recall some of the male celebs on Hip Hop Squares doing their best to help some of the more attractive female contestants, and Paul Lynde admitting doing the exact opposite for contestants he hated. But at the end of the day, the contestant still has the agency to choose their own fate, so I guess that makes it nil.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2021, 01:54:56 PM »
So wait...the current version does have the option for the contestant to receive? They sure don’t make it seem like it’s an option.

Although honestly, I like it better with the contestant giving.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BillCullen1

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2021, 05:12:45 PM »
So wait...the current version does have the option for the contestant to receive? They sure don’t make it seem like it’s an option.

They have the option. I remember Rosie O'Donnell giving the glues on one Strahan Pyramid episode.

Otm Shank

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2021, 05:32:55 PM »

I was at a first-season taping that had a rehearsal game with Steve Schirripa and Melissa Peterman. In the discussion at the winner's circle, it was said they prefer to have the civilian as the giver, so they would be responsible for the clues being legal. Option is always there to receive, if you happen to be lucky and draw Stuart Pankin for your episode.

It's an odd shift, because the Stewart-run Pyramid preferred to have the celebrity as the giver, because they had been coached and came from an experienced bench of game players. Now, the players are the well-versed ones in the nuances of the rules.

mystery7

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2021, 06:40:24 PM »
When I played along at home, I always played as the male celebrity, which meant I usually "gave" in the Winner's Circle. That would make me favor being on the giving end if I were a civilian player on the show. Also, it's easier to give from a logistics standpoint since the answers are right there on the screen. You don't have to cover them up or turn away from the TV like you would when you receive. So what we see in Strahan's Winner's Circle probably reflects the fact that most civilian players spent more time playing as givers than receivers while watching at home, and it's become a sort of unwritten rule of the show.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2021, 06:38:44 PM »
So what we see in Strahan's Winner's Circle probably reflects the fact that most civilian players spent more time playing as givers than receivers while watching at home, and it's become a sort of unwritten rule of the show.
Keep in mind that aspiring players are often more experienced than the celebs, who are rookies in their own right. Also, it keeps celebs from getting bad press for costing a player $100K because of an illegal clue- IIRC, there were some REALLY bad WC playings during the GSN run, some of which weren't aired for that very reason.

Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2021, 09:57:39 PM »
IIRC, there were some REALLY bad WC playings during the GSN run, some of which weren't aired for that very reason.

I recall a few pretty cringeworthy WCs on Donny's version, and allegedly that was with the celebs getting briefed on clues. Of course it didn't help that the judging was so ticky-tack.

Fedya

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2021, 09:12:19 AM »
Never mind categories like WHAT REGIS' COFFEE MUG WOULD SAY.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2021, 02:09:00 PM »
Or WHAT JAY LENO'S CHIN MIGHT SAY.

Wasn't there also one of those using Tom Cruise's dentist?
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Kevin Prather

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2021, 03:44:39 PM »

"Mr. Philbin drinks his java out of me."
"What Regis's coffee cup would say."
*silence from the judge*
"How dare you call me a cup? I've never been so insulted."

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2021, 08:20:03 PM »

"Mr. Philbin drinks....

......I wonder if that would've gotten buzzed.

/Buzzed? Coffee????
//Mmmmm.......coffee.......