Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Losing Contestant Asked Back because of Bad Celebrity Partner?  (Read 6469 times)

ET206

On many occasions a losing contestant has been asked back because of a "production mistake."  Has a losing contestant ever been asked to return because he/she was partnered with a celebrity who seemingly threw the game or didn't make any effort to win?  I know celebrities can make honest mistakes like giving a two-word clue on Password or accidentally using a part of the clue on Pyramid, but sometimes they say something so stupid (Tom Poston saying "wronger" to the contestant's clue "writer") that deliberately causes a loss. I don't think a contestant should be penalized for something like that, but I also know it would be hard to prove that the celebrity screwed up on purpose. 

Kevin Prather

Re: Losing Contestant Asked Back because of Bad Celebrity Partner?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 03:12:00 AM »
I don't know if it has ever been done, but it could be chalked up to a production mistake if it was a mistake that the celeb was ever cast.

BillCullen1

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 12:12:17 PM »
This opens up a can of worms. Contestants on '70s Pyramid who were partnered with Lawford or Shatner would be brought back? No, I don't see this happening.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 01:15:28 PM »
Please define the bar of "throwing the game" or "not making effort".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 01:18:48 PM »

Letterman
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 01:27:58 PM »

Letterman

*bing* *ding*

cliffhanger285

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 06:14:58 PM »
This reminds me of a dream I once had. It involved the last Round 2 question on Match Game, with the contestant trailing 6 to 5. Instead of attempting to match, the final celebrity needed to tie writes their answer as "You Lose!". I would think most celebs have the decency not to pull something like that but it makes me wonder if it would qualify the contestant for a redo.

Neumms

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 06:25:27 PM »
This reminds me of a dream I once had.

Not really a Martin Luther King dream, is it? (I joke.)

On Match Game, dumb celebrity play would really open up a can of worms. I imagine the rulesheet has an advisory that lots of luck is involved.

Robair

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 06:28:33 PM »
I would think most celebs have the decency not to pull something like that but it makes me wonder if it would qualify the contestant for a redo.
Nobody remembers that poor sad clown Alan Sues who basically kept his trap shut for an entire Cross Fire round.  At that point I would demand a Nipsey Russell rematch.
--Robair

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 11:17:24 PM »
This reminds me of a dream I once had. It involved the last Round 2 question on Match Game, with the contestant trailing 6 to 5. Instead of attempting to match, the final celebrity needed to tie writes their answer as "You Lose!". I would think most celebs have the decency not to pull something like that but it makes me wonder if it would qualify the contestant for a redo.

Pretty sure that would not be allowed as per show’s rules and regs, which I would imagine they have to give to panelists as well as contestants.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 11:51:31 PM »

Pretty sure that would not be allowed as per show’s rules and regs, which I would imagine they have to give to panelists as well as contestants.

The Match Game documentary that aired a while back mentioned that the contestants were briefed that some answers were unacceptable. One would think the celebs would be bound to those same rules.

That may be why Marcia Wallace writing "genitalia" led to a stopdown rather than simply censoring it and moving on. They probably had to consult with S&P.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 04:48:08 AM »
Almost every celebrity who appears on a game show takes into consideration the prospect of future bookings. A really bad celebrity (George Peppard) would never get a repeat booking. Someone like Richard Paul, Bill Daily or David Doyle could look forward to many repeat bookings and the quick $1,000 they could pick up on a Saturday or Sunday.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 09:33:33 AM »
GSN is currently airing Match Game episodes from July 1975.  Jack Cassidy is one of the guests on the week started Friday.  Gene started round two by stating "nobody matched in round one so everybody plays".  Jack said "Who cares?"  Gene replied "we all care - there's a lot of money on the line".

I'm not sure if Jack was joking or not (he did get a couple of matches during the episode) but sometimes I wonder about certain celebrities.  It seems that some of them are just there for their quick $1000 and didn't really care too much about the contestants or how the game turned out.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

colonial

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2021, 10:19:57 AM »
GSN is currently airing Match Game episodes from July 1975.  Jack Cassidy is one of the guests on the week started Friday.  Gene started round two by stating "nobody matched in round one so everybody plays".  Jack said "Who cares?"  Gene replied "we all care - there's a lot of money on the line".

I'm not sure if Jack was joking or not (he did get a couple of matches during the episode) but sometimes I wonder about certain celebrities.  It seems that some of them are just there for their quick $1000 and didn't really care too much about the contestants or how the game turned out.

Cassidy had some serious mental health issues around this time and (I believe) had just divorced Shirley Jones -- a quick $1,000 to do five shows likely helped him with paying child support (if required) and his medication. Whether he took the game seriously or not, who knows.

JD

JMFabiano

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 10:19:38 AM »

Cassidy had some serious mental health issues around this time and (I believe) had just divorced Shirley Jones -- a quick $1,000 to do five shows likely helped him with paying child support (if required) and his medication. Whether he took the game seriously or not, who knows.

JD

Shirley Jones can be very expensive indeed...ask anyone who went to her merch table during a meet and greet!

Ahem...anyway, this is now reminding me of the alleged MG/HS story where a panelist changed answers so they could play in the other rounds.  Did we ever learn more about that?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.