Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $1.25B upgrades planned for Television City  (Read 3360 times)

BrandonFG

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
Re: $1.25B upgrades planned for Television City
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 04:54:28 PM »
Two stages built in the 1990s on the east side of the lot would be razed as part of a planned reconfiguration of the site.

Those stages are 36 and 46, both of which have been very busy with primetime programs of all kinds. Can't imagine why they would be slated for demolition, unless the new stages they're planning will be replacing them to the satisfaction of the Fremantles and Endemols and whatnot of the world.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 08:29:45 PM »
A couple of months ago, I drove past Television City and wondered why the CBS eye logos were still up. But I suppose there's no reason to spend money on minor renovations if they're planning that massive of an overhaul.

I'm glad to see that the four original stages are being preserved. It's so hard to imagine The Price Is Right being taped in any other space. I'm also glad to see that the renovation will address the parking shortage that has plagued Television City for so long. Although the fact that the giant parking garage feeds out onto the tiny side street is going to cause all sorts of congestion.

I know that architectural renderings should never be taken completely at face value (I don't know what's going on inside Stage 33, but it's taking place where the bathrooms ought to be), but I do wonder what will happen to places like the scenic shop and especially the storage areas. Not just for The Price Is Right and its massive footprint of pricing games and prizes, but also all of the soap operas' sets.

Perhaps that's what that ground-level area will be? The picture that I find most interesting is the one facing north (the second picture in the article). For reference, Stage 33 is the one underneath the gradient orangey-to-peach-color sign. Those stages are on the second floor of the building, but the rendering shows that an entire second level will be built around the perimeter of the stages, allowing large set pieces to roll in through Stage 33's exterior door. As opposed to now, where that door leads to a narrow-ish balcony that doesn't see a lot of practical use.

Those stages are 36 and 46, both of which have been very busy with primetime programs of all kinds. Can't imagine why they would be slated for demolition, unless the new stages they're planning will be replacing them to the satisfaction of the Fremantles and Endemols and whatnot of the world.

The rendering shows two new stages attached next to 33 and 31 with higher ceilings and taller loading doors, so those might take on the role that 36 and 46 had. And while it's hard to tell because of the angle, it looks like the new studios on the west side of the property will be nice and big, too.

I wonder what will be built first. I'd expect the west side to be the priority -- you don't want to demolish the large 36 and 46 before you have replacements ready.

Fedya

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 02:45:24 PM »
(I don't know what's going on inside Stage 33, but it's taking place where the bathrooms ought to be)

Sounds like the punch-line to a joke involving Bob Barker and one of the models.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post