Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More classic Nickelodeon game shows on Paramount+  (Read 9714 times)

snowpeck

More classic Nickelodeon game shows on Paramount+
« on: March 24, 2021, 07:36:26 PM »
In addition to OG Double Dare which was already on there, they've added the complete runs of Nick Arcade, GUTS and Legends of the Hidden Temple to Paramount+ today. A few other old school Nick shows have been added too, including the earliest Nick season of You Can't Do That on Television.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

SuperMatch93

Re: More classic Nickelodeon game shows on Paramount+
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 07:53:22 PM »
including the earliest Nick season of You Can't Do That on Television.

Are they the half-hour or hour long cuts?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 08:03:59 PM »

Did Nick ever air anything other than a half-hour version?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

snowpeck

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 08:12:16 PM »

Half hour. I've not seen any evidence that the hourlong cuts still exist. They only aired on CJOH in Ottawa.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

nowhammies10

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 10:25:38 PM »

Half hour. I've not seen any evidence that the hourlong cuts still exist. They only aired on CJOH in Ottawa.

And any master tapes that may have still existed in their archives were likely lost to a fire in 2010.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 03:33:38 PM »
It's been a *while* since I've seen Nick Arcade, and the thing about this show is that for how loose of a game (in the game show sense) Nick Arcade is and how utterly ludicrous or arbitrary large parts of the show as a whole are, as a show Nick Arcade is utterly delightful.  Phil Moore is having a blast, the chrome is *top notch*, and the show had enough different things going on that there was never a feeling of "sameness".

Might not have been a great game, but it was a fantastic show

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 07:06:19 PM »
Co-sign. I was saying as much in some IM discussions after the episodes dropped. I'd only add that the Nick Arcade bonus round was WAY too tough for what it was -- the amount of things on screen that could hurt you was more apt for an expert level contestant, and could have been dialed back by half until kids got better. But at least I walked away as a viewer thinking "I'd love to be on this show" (and by extension, try the Video Zone) as opposed to the feeling I had watching Fun House or Legends of, "boy, I hope I can convince my partner to let me run the bonus first."

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 07:42:45 PM »
I'd only add that the Nick Arcade bonus round was WAY too tough for what it was -- the amount of things on screen that could hurt you was more apt for an expert level contestant, and could have been dialed back by half until kids got better.
Concur. Years ago, I went to a Nick live show at our local arena, hosted by Phil Moore and Mike O'Malley. One of the games they played was the Nick Arcade bonus round, which I learned was done simply via green screen. From what I remember, the children that went on stage struggled significantly with the obstacles, mainly trying to correspond with what was on the screen.

Having toyed with a similar setup involving a mock weather map at our local museum, I will say it's definitely much harder than it looks.

/I did win a Nick hat for knowing Moira Quirk co-hosted Guts
//Paramount+ had me at You Can't Do That on Television
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

vtown7

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 07:59:57 PM »

DO-DO-DO-DO-YOU-STILL-HAVE-IT?

Quite gutted that as the home of YCDTOTV my country's update on Paramount+ is merely a name change and none of these fun Nick shows are available north of the border.  Especially YCDTOTV which basically hasn't run anywhere since Nick stopped running it umpteen years ago.

R.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 08:20:05 PM »

I see what you did there. It's somewhere at my mom's...wouldn't be surprised if it's in my old bedroom closet.

Quite gutted that as the home of YCDTOTV my country's update on Paramount+ is merely a name change and none of these fun Nick shows are available north of the border.  Especially YCDTOTV which basically hasn't run anywhere since Nick stopped running it umpteen years ago.
This surprises me, given it originated up there.

cmjb13

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 08:54:36 PM »
I guess this explains why they never put a classic Nick channel on Pluto.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 09:16:45 PM »

And any master tapes that may have still existed in their archives were likely lost to a fire in 2010.

Actually, no. The YCDTOTV tapes were located in another area of the CJOH compound unaffected by the fire (thankfully).

RyanCDN

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 01:05:11 AM »

R.

My last memory of this would have been seeing it on YTV, with several memories of watching it during it’s original run.
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

vtown7

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 06:36:32 AM »

R.

My last memory of this would have been seeing it on YTV, with several memories of watching it during it’s original run.

Agreed fellow Ryan.  At launch time it was YCDT at 12:30 pm and then Whatever Turns You On at 1 pm on Saturdays.  IIRC it was also weeknights at 7:30 pm.

Side note: I lived about an hour's drive from CJOH when I was growing up.  I attended one part of a fan convention/reunion in 2002 and was thrilled to meet Les Lye (not to mention get a picture in the lockers).  Everyone was super nice and talked about how it really never got super huge here in Canada like it did on Nick.

For those of you who can get at Paramount+, enjoy! I look forward to these shows coming my way in the future.

Ryan.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 08:02:00 PM »
Tiny update (not really part of the You Can't Do That on Television love-fest as that show was just a hair before my time) to add that the first season of the 2018 Double Dare reboot has also been added: https://www.paramountplus.com/shows/double-dare-2018/