Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Choose Your Own Bonus Round Adventure: $ale  (Read 5305 times)

BrandonFG

Choose Your Own Bonus Round Adventure: $ale
« on: March 23, 2021, 04:52:22 PM »
In this universe, it's {The Goldbergs}1980-something{/TG}, and you get to be an undefeated $ale contestant. Which bonus round do you do your damage?

1a: Shopping era; you buy "the lot" and cash jackpot. For the sake of this conversation, it's a flat $75K.
1b: Shopping era; you buy the 75K cash jackpot.

2: Winner's Board; you run the table and come back to win the 50K.

3: Winner's Big Money Game; you run the table to win the cash each day, plus the car and 50K.

Me personally, I'm taking the WBMG*. The only bonus prizes I really want are the car, trip, and cash. I'd prolly pick up at least one trip from Instant Bargains (albeit it's likely not overseas), along with smaller stuff like jewelry, appliances, and furniture from IBs and Fame Games. Furthermore, the cash from the WBMG pays $95K, so I've surpassed the jackpot. I know we rag on the cars getting cheaper towards the end of the run, but 18K for a new ride in 1988 was still pretty fancy**.

/*Fight me
//**Change my mind
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Re: Choose Your Own Bonus Round Adventure: $ale
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 05:10:02 PM »
Furthermore, the cash from the WBMG pays $95K, so I've surpassed the jackpot.
I'm only mentioning this as a hypothetical, but you could theoretically win a total of $0 from the WBMG after seven episodes.  Highly improbable, but the possibility exists.

Give me the Winner's Board.  I'll keep the car, cash, and trips and decline the rest.  I probably wouldn't go for the $50k though.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 05:22:33 PM »
I'm only mentioning this as a hypothetical, but you could theoretically win a total of $0 from the WBMG after seven episodes.  Highly improbable, but the possibility exists.
In this scenario, you win every WBMG. $95K and a car.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

SuperMatch93

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 05:50:37 PM »
I'd definitely go with the WBMG. Even if I didn't win it every time like in your scenario, I'm not putting anything at risk along the way.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Neumms

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 06:33:40 PM »
Did one risk his prizes to come back during the matching board era?

If I were to choose my own adventure, it would include the flip-panel billboard wall from Jack Kelly’s run. Gosh, stupid things stick in my brain.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 06:34:21 PM »
Only after winning all ten prizes.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 06:48:05 PM »
Did one risk his prizes to come back during the matching board era?
Yes. That's how Mark DeCarlo won it all.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 07:03:33 PM »
In this scenario, you win every WBMG. $95K and a car.
My apologies for missing that.  Then hell yes, I'm taking $95k and an import.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 10:25:34 PM »
Some of the cars towards 1989 were still in the 20K range, so I can see the appeal.

My decision would be to go to the Winner's Board, run the table, try to pick up as much swag in the front game (dabble in Instant Cash if it's tempting enough). Whether or not I go for 50K depends on how well I've performed in the last 5 games - if my margins of victory were comfortable enough that someone won't come after me in Speed Round, then I'm more willing to risk it. We've seen how folks can falter in games 9 and 10 and that might be an unacceptable risk.

\fully aware of the guaranteed prizes in the WBMG era.

Bryce L.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 05:23:40 AM »
Whether or not I go for 50K depends on how well I've performed in the last 5 games - if my margins of victory were comfortable enough that someone won't come after me in Speed Round, then I'm more willing to risk it.
I'm assuming a tiebreaker anywhere in those final five games means you're pulling the ripcord on day ten?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 11:27:40 AM »
Not if I go in knowing I am going to win out. Tiebreaks all day every day.
Travis L. Eberle

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 12:41:41 PM »
1a: Shopping era; you buy "the lot" and cash jackpot. For the sake of this conversation, it's a flat $75K.  that's for me
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 12:02:25 AM »
Whether or not I go for 50K depends on how well I've performed in the last 5 games - if my margins of victory were comfortable enough that someone won't come after me in Speed Round, then I'm more willing to risk it.
I'm assuming a tiebreaker anywhere in those final five games means you're pulling the ripcord on day ten?

Good question - especially if you’re still winning out. I’d be likely to not freak out if they were wins 6 and 7; 8-10 will really question things.

chrisholland03

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 07:11:46 AM »
As a contestant, I'm WBMG.  As a viewer, I still prefer the shopping format.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 08:06:59 AM »
Jack, I’d like to go off the board for AU Temptation’s 10-in-60 chance to build shopping cash.
czambo@mac.com