Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Jeopardy! Guest Hosts  (Read 4164 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
The Jeopardy! Guest Hosts
« on: March 11, 2021, 02:14:48 AM »
We've had 3 so far; what do people think?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SuperMatch93

Re: The Jeopardy! Guest Hosts
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 06:45:39 AM »
I think Mike has a better reading voice than Ken, but I would say that Ken seems to build a better rapport with the contestants and is a better interviewer.

Katie isn't doing it for me at all. Way too robotic.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 09:04:45 AM »
Producer Mike will choose host Mike.  The others are stunt casting. 
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 12:03:36 PM »
I didn't expect to like Ken as much as I did. There was sort of an "I've stood where you're standing and I know how hard it is" vibe about him that I really liked.

Mike was fine, though he seemed more disappointed in wrong responses than Ken did--sort of "well, everybody knows that..."

Katie has great rapport with the contestants in their interviews; I'd be surprised if she hadn't. I like her cheerfulness, which seems to put the contestants at ease (my wife said: "She's having a great time, and because of that, so are they!"). But I don't get any sense of authority. I know perfectly well that *all* the hosts take cues from the production table, but it sounds like she wouldn't know if a response was correct or not without the cues.

If I had to choose among the three, it'd be Ken without question.
czambo@mac.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 02:59:34 PM »
I didn't expect to like Ken as much as I did. There was sort of an "I've stood where you're standing and I know how hard it is" vibe about him that I really liked.

Mike was fine, though he seemed more disappointed in wrong responses than Ken did--sort of "well, everybody knows that..."

Katie has great rapport with the contestants in their interviews; I'd be surprised if she hadn't. I like her cheerfulness, which seems to put the contestants at ease (my wife said: "She's having a great time, and because of that, so are they!"). But I don't get any sense of authority. I know perfectly well that *all* the hosts take cues from the production table, but it sounds like she wouldn't know if a response was correct or not without the cues.

If I had to choose among the three, it'd be Ken without question.
I agree with all three. To me, Ken was the only one whose delivery felt smooth and down-to-earth. His delivery and cadence was fine, but Mike was too game showy IMO, and came across as a little too slick at times. It felt disingenuous. To me, he also sounded like he was double-checking his sheet to see if a contestant was correct, instead of being confident about it.

I think if Katie can get out of newsreader mode, she'll be fine. There were times where I felt her clue reading felt a little robotic.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PPatters

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 03:27:46 PM »

Producer Mike will not be the only one making the choice. Just as there were higher-ups that hired Mike, the higher-ups will have strong opinions about who takes over one of their cornerstone shows.
Patrick

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 03:35:57 PM »

Producer Mike will not be the only one making the choice. Just as there were higher-ups that hired Mike, the higher-ups will have strong opinions about who takes over one of their cornerstone shows.
And given how vocal fans were about Dr. Oz, I have a feeling they'll at least consider social media input. The Internet has changed a lot in the 13-1/2 years since TPiR went with Drew Carey.

/13.5 years? There's no way that's right
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 02:15:41 PM »
Just saw on my DVR listings that Aaron Rodgers will be next on 4/5.
@lambertman

calliaume

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 11:30:00 AM »
Comedy writer/director/producer/baseball announcer Ken Levine has his review today of Dr. Oz. As you can surmise from the title, it's not good.

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2021/03/the-lounge-lizard-of-oz.html

fthrmulcahy

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 07:19:09 PM »
So far I would agree with all said about Ken, Mike, and Katie. I favor Mike myself but wouldn’t have a particular problem with either of the other two. My big problem with Dr. Oz is that he hosts as if he’s never seen the show before he got there (I know [hope?] he has). But when he acts all surprised and excited that someone bet big on a daily double or final jeopardy when strategically they have to just rubs me the wrong way.

P.S.: As I’m writing this he is doing a little better with that tonight so I’m sure someone talked to him about it after the first round of tapings.

SamJ93

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 07:53:15 AM »
Aaron Rodgers was OK. A bit dry and monotone at times, but for his first time hosting a TV broadcast of any kind, he carried it. He's infinitely more likable than Dr. Oz, at least...
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

SwohS Emag

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 09:36:56 AM »
Aaron Rodgers was OK. A bit dry and monotone at times, but for his first time hosting a TV broadcast of any kind, he carried it. He's infinitely more likable than Dr. Oz, at least...

He definitely gave me a Rolf Benirschke vibe with the monotone and the nerves.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 10:15:12 AM »
As much as I don't like saying it, I think ARod did a serviceable job for his first time out.  He had a couple of quips after a contestant's response, which I found nice.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TimK2003

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 10:31:20 AM »
Aaron was so dry, I went through a gallon of water just to stay hydrated during the show.

But I did like the Final J! response that was given by the champion that had no chance of winning last night...

SamJ93

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 08:21:01 AM »
You may say it's a hot take/recency bias after just one episode, but I'll say it anyway: Mike Richards, convince Sony to write a blank check to Mayim Bialik and let her name her price to become the new host.

Seriously. Her charm, enthusiasm and clue-reading ability has blown pretty much every other guest host thus far out of the water.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 05:53:02 PM by SamJ93 »
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.