Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show false memories  (Read 55180 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Game show false memories
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2022, 06:02:06 PM »
The most I’ve ever seen is this brief promo from 1981.

https://youtu.be/adKh5XkOuQw
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

« Reply #196 on: August 17, 2022, 07:42:38 AM »

Sadly all clips from Japan, no? And no Rowan/Martin. :(
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2022, 12:28:25 AM »
On a semi-related note, there is an episode currently in rotation on the Pluto channel, I believe from S12, where the ARP of one of the Showcases was exactly $8000. It's hard to believe that the production staff weren't intentionally trying to set up a perfect bid with that...(Sadly, the contestant bid $8200.)

I can believe it, especially because one of the prizes was a trip, so the show was at the mercy of whatever airfare happened to be at that time.

Assuming showcase prizes are always selected without regard to how their total will end, the odds say that the total will end in ,000 approximately every 1,000 showcases. Which is about every 500 episodes, or roughly once every three years.
Of course, they're not, and they haven't been pretty much since the perfect bid incident, if ever.  I think it's been over a decade since they stopped ending *any* showcases between -000 and -250, to cut down on Double Showcase wins.

Kniwt

« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2022, 01:40:33 PM »
I think it's been over a decade since they stopped ending *any* showcases between -000 and -250, to cut down on Double Showcase wins.

(citation needed) :) :) Really? I'd never heard this before, not that I paid overly much attention to it, so it wouldn't surprise me. Or perhaps it's just a piece of The Knowledge that I somehow never acquired.

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #199 on: August 19, 2022, 02:35:29 PM »
I think it's been over a decade since they stopped ending *any* showcases between -000 and -250, to cut down on Double Showcase wins.

(citation needed) :) :) Really? I'd never heard this before, not that I paid overly much attention to it, so it wouldn't surprise me. Or perhaps it's just a piece of The Knowledge that I somehow never acquired.
It's definitely been a thing for a long time now.  And there seems to have been several other "unwritten rules" that have been implemented in the last few years.  I think the one that annoys me the most is that flipping and flopping in Flip Flop hasn't been the correct choice since season 46.  My understanding is that a) contestants rarely take that option and b) by the very nature of the game the "flop" and "flip flop" choices are never going to be more than $81 apart from each other, so maybe it's intended to increase the win rate, but I feel like if they're dead set on having it never be right anymore they may as well just remove the option to do that entirely.

That Don Guy

« Reply #200 on: August 19, 2022, 07:55:13 PM »

Those looked like the NBC version to me. What was the main difference between the two, other than the final round in the Japanese version was a buzz-in round at the Empire State Building, whereas the NBC version was alternating multiple-choice questions somewhere in/near Los Angeles?

I did notice contestant "Mark" apperared to have patches for London, Paris, Rome, and Athens, so maybe there was a Paris round after all.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2023, 08:33:45 PM »
Watching old episodes of "Super Millionaire" today, I'm reminded of another false memory. I could have sworn that at some point in the run, Regis instructed the computer to "Activate the Double Dip." Must have been a fever dream or something.

Bob Zager

« Reply #202 on: January 29, 2023, 02:08:18 PM »

I did notice contestant "Mark" apperared to have patches for London, Paris, Rome, and Athens, so maybe there was a Paris round after all.

At around the :16 point, you see a guy wearing an off-white trenchcoat, and dark-colored hat, and I'm certain that IS Dan Rowan!  When the contestant moves away,  Dick Martin is seen wearing a similar coat and hat, but has his back toward the camera!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 02:19:28 PM by Bob Zager »

snowpeck

« Reply #203 on: January 29, 2023, 07:40:31 PM »

At around the :16 point, you see a guy wearing an off-white trenchcoat, and dark-colored hat, and I'm certain that IS Dan Rowan!  When the contestant moves away,  Dick Martin is seen wearing a similar coat and hat, but has his back toward the camera!
Not sure about Martin, but that's definitely Rowan.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Otm Shank

« Reply #204 on: July 30, 2023, 06:51:56 PM »
Didn't realize this has been dormant this long, but I suppose this thread is one of those bumpable exceptions.

I could swear that the smallest amount on the Money Game board was referred to by Bob as "el cheapo."

Only after seeing it on the Barker channel I now realize he was saying "ol' cheapo."

Even though my hearing has gotten worse over 40 years, at least my technology has compensated for it.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #205 on: July 30, 2023, 09:43:20 PM »
I could swear that the smallest amount on the Money Game board was referred to by Bob as "el cheapo."

Only after seeing it on the Barker channel I now realize he was saying "ol' cheapo."

He's said "Ol' Cheapo" a few times, but he's definitely said "El Cheapo" far more often.

Otm Shank

« Reply #206 on: July 31, 2023, 12:51:07 PM »

He's said "Ol' Cheapo" a few times, but he's definitely said "El Cheapo" far more often.

OK, not going completely nuts. I did watch for this (sporadically) over the past couple of months before posting to see if he used both, and it just happened that the ones I caught were "ol' cheapo."

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #207 on: July 31, 2023, 01:32:52 PM »

Chelsea and I were discussing this a while back...I can't remember which show it was, but I think she found the day that he switches it to "El Cheapo."

golden-road

« Reply #208 on: July 31, 2023, 04:48:29 PM »
During the '94-'95 season, Wheel of Fortune used an image campaign led by Aretha Franklin:

https://youtu.be/8J9TJu-ymfo

For years, I had convinced myself that everytime somebody won $25,000 in the bonus round, this would play instead of "Changing Keys".

TimK2003

« Reply #209 on: July 31, 2023, 08:33:30 PM »

Chelsea and I were discussing this a while back...I can't remember which show it was, but I think she found the day that he switches it to "El Cheapo."

See, all times I heard Bob in the Money Game, I always thought he said EL Cheapo.  I never realized he said OL'  Cheapo.  Now I will start listening closely on the Barker reruns for the Ol' Cheapo shows.