Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show false memories  (Read 55159 times)

Steve Gavazzi

Re: Game show false memories
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2021, 11:56:45 PM »
I do remember one half-hour episode when, after the second pricing game, Bob told the viewers that the showcases would be next, only to correct himself and say that "Most Expensive" was next, so that title was in use early on.

Somewhere on G-R, we've got pictures of paperwork from the first episode, and the first game is plainly labeled as "Any Number."  The names weren't used on the air in the early days, but they always existed.

TimK2003

« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2021, 07:08:32 PM »
The Numbers Game.  The TPiR home game from 1973 had, for some strange reason, different names for the familiar pricing games than were used on TV.  One example was the Any Number game, which they called "The Numbers Game".  Yet I have a distinct memory of it being titled The Numbers Game at one point on the show.

Pretty sure it was never labeled that way on the show, but it *was* on the home game.

So when did those early turntable games finally get names on their boards?  I know Any Number and Clock Game had generic facings when they premiered (and Clock Game went many years before they put the CG name on the board IIRC).

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2021, 12:13:49 AM »
So when did those early turntable games finally get names on their boards?  I know Any Number and Clock Game had generic facings when they premiered (and Clock Game went many years before they put the CG name on the board IIRC).
May 28, 1974 for Any Number. 

The G-R FAQ didn't have a date for Clock Game, but 10 minutes of YT research pins it somewhere between Thanksgiving 1974 and July 1975.

Bryce L.

« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2021, 01:50:41 AM »
May 28, 1974 for Any Number. 

The G-R FAQ didn't have a date for Clock Game, but 10 minutes of YT research pins it somewhere between Thanksgiving 1974 and July 1975.
Not sure what part of the FAQ you checked, but the Timeline page has it narrowed to between May 23 (1423D) and July 4, 1975 (1485D).

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2021, 11:57:58 PM »
I checked The Pricing Games page.  I figured that if Any Number had its date there, that any info we had on Clock Game would be there as well.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2021, 01:00:11 AM »
God, I really need to go through the pricing games section one of these days and update it to be in line with the timeline.

That Don Guy

« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2021, 04:17:46 PM »
That posting of the "Concentration Pilot #8" reminded me of another false memory I had:

On Classic Concentration, at first, if you won the bonus round, you won the car that appeared only once on the board, rather than the last one you matched.

Neumms

« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2021, 04:35:51 PM »
God, I really need to go through the pricing games section one of these days and update it to be in line with the timeline.

Do you or anyone know why they designed the board with space for a name from the start but didn't put the names on? It's most noticeable on Any Number.

Casey

« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2021, 07:20:21 PM »
Another false memory I had is that in Monty's Split Second, people very rarely took the consolation prize if they failed to win the car in the bonus round.  I'm not sure how prevalent it was, but I've been watching a fair number of episodes recently on the YouTube and it seems like this was much more common than I had thought.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2021, 07:22:54 PM »
Do you or anyone know why they designed the board with space for a name from the start but didn't put the names on? It's most noticeable on Any Number.

Can't say that I do.  It certainly does stand out like a sore thumb, although I wonder whether it's more noticeable in hindsight.

JMFabiano

« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2021, 09:16:30 AM »
For some reason I thought Bill Cullen hosted WordPlay (in fact when I vaguely remembered the show, I went online asking about the show with Cullen and the "blocks".  You can guess what most people thought of.) 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Long live Jeopardy!

« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2021, 10:52:34 AM »
For the longest time, I was thinking that Wheel of Fortune showed eps. from the 1992-93 season in their summer 1995 weekend airings (which would usually be from the previous season), but I recently found these two early 1998 GSN airings that look to be from the summer 1995 weekend prints right here:

http://archive.org/details/wheel-of-fortune-february-3-1993

http://archive.org/details/wheel-of-fortune-february-5-1993

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2021, 02:50:52 PM »
In situations such as Temptation on TPiR or a grocery deal on LMaD, I thought people went for the car 100% of the time and always rejected the sure thing.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Argo

« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2021, 07:21:01 AM »
A couple of falsities for me:

Until seeing the reruns on GSN, I always thought Johnny's podium was white and had TPIR logo on it.

I always thought Jim Perry, Art James and Geoff Edwards were Canadian due to their shows being taped up here. It wasn't until later that I found out they hosted other shows.

For Canadians, I thought that "The New Liar's Club" and "The Next Line" were the same show, only that they updated the set for the later seasons and added a piano for Pete Barbutti.

A false memory-ish, but when Barker hosted TPIR, the shooting style made the studio look huge. The newer style shows how much smaller it really is. Post-Barker TPIR killed a lot of childhood memories for me.

TimK2003

« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2021, 11:23:14 PM »
I had thought furs were still being offered on Barker's TPIR through at least the late 80's.  Buzzr's TPIR Channel proved that theory wrong.