Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show false memories  (Read 55162 times)

Bryce L.

Re: Game show false memories
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2021, 01:55:04 AM »
Until recently, I would have testified under oath that the $otC Instant Bargains were staged behind the door leading to Bargainlandia/where Jim Perry enters. Only until I saw the blooper where they prematurely reset did I realize they had that on a turntable with the Fame Game board.
Same.

This has messed with me for a while. As a child, I remember watching $otC while home from school in summer 1988. I could’ve sworn that the Winner’s Board remained in place until then, but Wiki says December ‘87. So unless NBC showed summer reruns from late-87, I imagine my memory is fuzzy.
And the earliest full episode with the WBMG I've seen in the wild, contestants Marc/Betty/Al, ends with a 1987 copyright date in the credits.
https://imgur.com/HEmN13g

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2021, 01:21:46 PM »
The WBMG started just before Jay Stewart left the show (he’s still announcing when it’s introduced), and the round was still being announced as new when Don Morrow took over in early 88.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 04:29:04 AM by chris319 »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

chrisholland03

« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2021, 01:39:38 PM »
This intro was the best part of the WBMG.  It's bummer they dropped it fairly quickly.

BrandonFG

« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2021, 04:11:43 PM »
Thanks everyone. I take it the new theme song coincided with the WBMG switch?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2021, 04:43:46 PM »
Thanks everyone. I take it the new theme song coincided with the WBMG switch?

It sure does appear that way.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2021, 08:35:28 PM »
This intro was the best part of the WBMG.  It's bummer they dropped it fairly quickly.
Everything is better with a drum machine track. At me.

/I remember watching the nighttime version and hearing Jim say "Say yes and the car is yours," then balloons and fanfare, thinking that was an odd way to have an ending. Apparently my memories of watching Treasure Hunt and Match Game in first run were visiting grandparents and seeing it on CBN because we sure as hell didn't have cable in 1986 as far as I remember.
Travis L. Eberle

JMFabiano

« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2021, 10:37:01 AM »
Everything is better with a drum machine track. At me.

/I remember watching the nighttime version and hearing Jim say "Say yes and the car is yours," then balloons and fanfare, thinking that was an odd way to have an ending. Apparently my memories of watching Treasure Hunt and Match Game in first run were visiting grandparents and seeing it on CBN because we sure as hell didn't have cable in 1986 as far as I remember.

Hold up...MG was on CBN at one point?  (I knew about Card Sharks and Blockbusters)

As I really started remembering things and clearly accepting images and words and etc. by '82-'83, it's a crapshoot at first as to whether I was watching first-run syndie Match Game eps. or reruns.  Don't remember the NYC market keeping a package of MG reruns like others did apparently, even during and after MG/HS? 

I do remember my own grandparents and aunt watching Treasure Hunt too.  They did have cable long before us, so it could have been CBN reruns.  Didn't Barris have "best of" packages that ran in syndication? 

For that matter, I agree about having no sense of the idea of reruns and wondering what was new and what wasn't.  Even before cable, we still had the Card Sharks rerun package going into '83 or so, for instance. 

Related "memory": I could have sworn I saw a Hollywood Squares episode with the original contestant/host area.  In 1980-81. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

ActualRetailMike

« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2021, 02:46:06 AM »
A showcase worth…  You know how, on TPiR, when there's a bonus prize whose value is not subject to determining by the contestant, the announcer will append to the description, "A prize package worth, X dollars!"  I thought I remembered, in the earliest TPiR days, of hearing Johnny Olson say "A showcase worth…" at least once. Of course, giving away the showcase price prior to bidding would obviously defeat the purpose!

The Numbers Game.  The TPiR home game from 1973 had, for some strange reason, different names for the familiar pricing games than were used on TV.  One example was the Any Number game, which they called "The Numbers Game".  Yet I have a distinct memory of it being titled The Numbers Game at one point on the show.

Concentration, Bob Clayton era.  As a little kid, I could have sworn I heard a contestant call out "umpteen" or "twen-teen".  Also, when playing "The Envelope", there was a "ding-ding-ding-ding…" sounded when The Envelope was called on the board, or when the host was cued to pick a card out of the hopper/barrel (whatever that was for).  One day, Bob Clayton was instructed to pick a card not by the bell, but by a direct verbal order over the director's intercom!  You could hear it on TV, though not really clearly.

J! carrying answer card.  In one episode of Art Fleming J!, in the middle of a game, a member of the production crew walked onto the set to tell the host something.  Approaching from the left side of the board, he literally had in his hand, an answer card from the J! board.

Spiral stairway on $otC.  I'd mentioned in at least one other post that Jack Kelly/Joe Garagiola SotC had the winner walk down a spiral staircase to the lower level of the set, where the prizes were.  But according to some still photos someone posted a while ago, that was really just a slightly curved conventional stairway.  (Has an episode from that era ever surfaced, BTW?)  I must have gotten it conflated with the actual spiral stairs used on The Hollywood Squares, Marshall era, to access the uppermost tier only; never saw those in use, though once or twice they had someone standing on the stairs to model a fur coat prize.

Door Number 4 on LMaD.  I wonder if this was an April Fools gag?  I distinctly remember Monty telling the contestant that they won Door Number Four, possibly with a "Let's see what's behind Door No. 4" added in.  But this was not the signature sliding door.  It was actually a turntable, with a bluish, curved concealing wall on one side.  I think this was used in late-60s/early-70s episodes for regular games, but here, they had slyly placed a numeral 4 on the outer wall.  As for what was behind the door, well, if this half-century old memory is correct, the prize itself wasn't high-end, like a car or appliances, but rather an assortment of clothes.  Yes, clothes. But neatly displayed on hangers in a boutique-like setting, with Jay describing each article. It didn't come across as a zonk, so perhaps they were designer labels.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2021, 08:19:58 AM »
Spiral stairway on $otC.  I'd mentioned in at least one other post that Jack Kelly/Joe Garagiola SotC had the winner walk down a spiral staircase to the lower level of the set, where the prizes were.  But according to some still photos someone posted a while ago, that was really just a slightly curved conventional stairway.  (Has an episode from that era ever surfaced, BTW?).

No video is publicly available yet, but recently someone was able to obtain two episodes from very early in the run from Archival Television Audio and posted them on YouTube.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2021, 09:21:59 AM »
- Bob Goen was hosting WoF before Changing Keys was remixed
On a similar note, I thought the "Changing Keys" remix and contestant backdrops switched to the chevrons in January of 1989. I'm guessing that changed when the daytime version went to CBS, with the nighttime version switching over that fall.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2021, 09:26:07 AM »
On a similar note, I thought the "Changing Keys" remix and contestant backdrops switched to the chevrons in January of 1989. I'm guessing that changed when the daytime version went to CBS, with the nighttime version switching over that fall.

That's exactly when it changed. I remember instantly not being a fan of the new remix upon hearing it with the CBS daytime debut. I was hoping that maybe it wouldn't carry over to the nighttime version in the fall, which of course, it did.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2021, 09:52:21 AM »
The Numbers Game.  The TPiR home game from 1973 had, for some strange reason, different names for the familiar pricing games than were used on TV.  One example was the Any Number game, which they called "The Numbers Game".  Yet I have a distinct memory of it being titled The Numbers Game at one point on the show.

Pretty sure it was never labeled that way on the show, but it *was* on the home game.
czambo@mac.com

Allstar87

« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2021, 04:11:54 PM »
I do remember my own grandparents and aunt watching Treasure Hunt too.  They did have cable long before us, so it could have been CBN reruns.  Didn't Barris have "best of" packages that ran in syndication?

It was in syndicated repeats in early 1984; a few episodes circulate from those. That may very well be what you saw.

That Don Guy

« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2021, 09:31:54 PM »

Door Number 4 on LMaD.  I wonder if this was an April Fools gag?  I distinctly remember Monty telling the contestant that they won Door Number Four, possibly with a "Let's see what's behind Door No. 4" added in.  But this was not the signature sliding door.  It was actually a turntable, with a bluish, curved concealing wall on one side.  I think this was used in late-60s/early-70s episodes for regular games, but here, they had slyly placed a numeral 4 on the outer wall.  As for what was behind the door, well, if this half-century old memory is correct, the prize itself wasn't high-end, like a car or appliances, but rather an assortment of clothes.  Yes, clothes. But neatly displayed on hangers in a boutique-like setting, with Jay describing each article. It didn't come across as a zonk, so perhaps they were designer labels.

Dennis James called Any Number "Any Number Wins" in at least one of the earliest episodes. He also called Most Expensive "All or Nothing at All" a few times. I do remember one half-hour episode when, after the second pricing game, Bob told the viewers that the showcases would be next, only to correct himself and say that "Most Expensive" was next, so that title was in use early on.

Also, "Door #4" was used at least one year in the 1970s syndicated version of LMAD; a random studio audience member was chosen (either by seat number or some sort of ticket number), and I think that behind the door was a giant wheel with money amounts and, usually, a car.

Bryce L.

« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2021, 10:35:42 PM »
Also, "Door #4" was used at least one year in the 1970s syndicated version of LMAD; a random studio audience member was chosen (either by seat number or some sort of ticket number), and I think that behind the door was a giant wheel with money amounts and, usually, a car.
Sounds almost verbatim like what they did for the 1984-1986 run. Did this wheel also have Zonk spaces?