Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show false memories  (Read 56248 times)

SuperMatch93

Re: Game show false memories
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2021, 03:30:01 PM »
When I was very young, I thought "lose a turn" on Wheel meant that the contestant would lose their next turn as well, and I thought I remembered that happening in the Windows version that Sony Imagesoft put out.

This is STILL how the Pressman instructions are written as well: "Lose A Turn: If a player spins Lose A Turn, he/she ends that turn and forfeits the next turn."

That must have been the source of my confusion; my grandma had the old Pressman Wheel and Jeopardy box games at her house.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TimK2003

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2021, 07:10:18 PM »
I also thought that Game shows had their own place to tape. like a restaursnt or store.   

As a young'un in the 70s, I also thought that as well.   Especially the game shows on NBC ‐‐ on several occasions one show host would mention another show "across the hall" or "next door". 

As a kid, I envisioned the network studios as what we know as modern‐day 20-screen movie cineplexes, and each game show had their own studio/stage that they didnt have to share with other shows. 

What a shock when I found out that there were only a handful of studios (though much larger than I thought) and shows would set up for a couple of days, tape a couple of weeks of  shows, then tear down again to make room for another show.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2021, 07:31:22 PM »
One false memory had to do with the airing of Press Your Luck when I was a lad, as I swore for years it was on at 12:30 (it wasn’t) and paired with the 1980s Let’s Make a Deal (it wasn’t at any point; when WCBS had both shows, LMAD was on at 9 and PYL at 10:30).

I also thought that Jeopardy moved to the morning on WABC in first run after Regis in 1987 (again, didn’t find this out until later that it was just a rebroadcast of the previous night’s show).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jamey Greek

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2021, 12:14:06 AM »
Another false memory I had was Couch Potatoes being on before the NBC Daytime lineup on WESH in Orlando.  I am sure it was probably on when it first premiered In 1989 but I think WESH did shuffle the lineup around.

aaron sica

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2021, 02:11:11 PM »
Another false memory I had was Couch Potatoes being on before the NBC Daytime lineup on WESH in Orlando.  I am sure it was probably on when it first premiered In 1989 but I think WESH did shuffle the lineup around.

Did a little quick research for you on this. WESH slotted it at 11:30am at first (pre-empting "Win, Lose, or Draw") and then when daytime WoF was replaced by "Golden Girls" reruns, they moved the GG reruns to the 11:30 slot and demoted CP to an awesome 2:30am slot, at which point WLoD came back (at 11).

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2021, 02:20:42 PM »
There’s been very rare instances in my market where a daytime game show didn’t air in its prescribed time slot.

It wasn’t until much later that I found out Caesars Challenge was slated to air at 12:30, because I always caught it (which wasn’t often) at 10 in the morning. Which was odd because its predecessor was cleared as it was.

I also don’t remember how long this was a case but there was a period where Scrabble and Classic Concentration were both airing in the afternoon; I want to say it was during Scrabble’s last season. (At least Scrabble did; maybe the false memory is at work.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jamey Greek

« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2021, 03:07:35 PM »

Did a little quick research for you on this. WESH slotted it at 11:30am at first (pre-empting "Win, Lose, or Draw") and then when daytime WoF was replaced by "Golden Girls" reruns, they moved the GG reruns to the 11:30 slot and demoted CP to an awesome 2:30am slot, at which point WLoD came back (at 11).

Thank you Aaron.  And did you see the comment I mace about TTD actually having a kids week.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2021, 04:24:35 PM »
I have two, both Price is Right related.

The first: I always thought TPIR aired at 3pm weekdays on the regular. So when it “moved” to 10am, I was quite surprised and disappointed (because of school). The truth was (as was explained in a thread I started about this very subject many moons ago) TPIR was moved to 3pm by WBBM 2 in Chicago to make room for Donahue’s talk show for a few months in 1986 or 1987. As I got older and went into the show’s history, I realized that it was always at 10am in this area, and that scheduling anomaly was simply that.

I also thought there was a TPIR nighttime Christmas Special that aired at some point in the late 1980s, as advertised in TV Guide. I recently found the ad; it was a half page ad from a 1988 issue which was actually for a Christmas contest for daytime (it included Janice Pennington holding a stack of presents with a picture of Bob in the inset).

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2021, 09:05:29 PM »
I also have one that is TPIR related.  I thougbt I remember seeing shorts of Baywatch during the commercial breaks after the two contestants bid in the showcase!  But I know Baywatch premiered in 1989  when I was three years old on NBC.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2021, 09:06:07 PM »
I also thought all games shows were taped live until I was told by my mom that TV shows were recorded earlier than on the air later.

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2021, 01:02:32 AM »
The tiles on Scrabble were dropped through a scanner and then into a trash can after being read.  ;)

So, somewhat along those lines, I absolutely thought that the Scrabble tiles were somehow read by a computer when the contestants dropped them in the slot in the desk and that was how the letters would pop up on the screen. I remember wondering how they were read since they all appeared to be the same size, etc.

In today's world I realize that each tile number must have had a letter assigned to it prior to the game and that when the contestant would take the 8 and the 2, for example, the production staff would just CG the two letters that had been assigned to those numbers.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2021, 01:51:29 AM »
So, somewhat along those lines, I absolutely thought that the Scrabble tiles were somehow read by a computer when the contestants dropped them in the slot in the desk and that was how the letters would pop up on the screen. I remember wondering how they were read since they all appeared to be the same size, etc.

Reminds me of another. When Millionaire first started, I thought the computer was voice activated rather than controlled by someone backstage.

aaron sica

« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2021, 10:35:20 AM »
I also don’t remember how long this was a case but there was a period where Scrabble and Classic Concentration were both airing in the afternoon; I want to say it was during Scrabble’s last season. (At least Scrabble did; maybe the false memory is at work.)

Things started getting a little murky with WNBC in the early '90s and the daytime schedule....In spot-checking January 1990 - The "Golden Girls" and "227" block, usually at 11am, aired at 9. "House Party" at 10, "Win, Lose or Draw" at 11 and "Generations" at 11:30. "Santa Barbara" at noon. 1 and 2 were in-pattern, and 3 was "Classic Concentration" followed by "Scrabble" at 3:30.

EDIT: In diving down the rabbit hole even further, that was not the original schedule: when the news broke in November that this was happening (effective January 22), the plan was to have "Santa Barbara" at 11, "Generations" at noon, "Days of our Lives" at 12:30, "Another World" at 1:30, and then a 90-minute game show block starting with "Third Degree" at 2:30. I guess "Third Degree" tanking changed those plans.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 01:03:35 PM by aaron sica »

KrisW73

« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2021, 01:41:09 PM »
When MG transitioned from CBS to Syndie and the the Star Wheel "double" area changed from the one continuous space to three smaller spaces I thought the middle space was a "triple" - only when I started seeing re-reruns a little later on that I realized my error.

splinkynip

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2021, 02:14:42 PM »
Did any other station besides WNBC keep Sceabble on in reruns for six months after it went off the air in March 1991?

When WNBC made this programming change in January, I recall reading it had to get permission from the network to make such a drastic hange. Classic Concentration moved back to mornings in the fall when Scrabble reruns ended, and I don't believe WNBC ever followed the network official schedule again.