Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show false memories  (Read 55183 times)

JMFabiano

Re: Game show false memories
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2021, 06:20:03 PM »
OK back on track...

I remembered the Password Plus sign/logo being less cartoony than it really was.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2021, 06:56:32 PM »
There's enough time out there, especially if all teams get 30 seconds on both A/B/C questions or the 3-question rounds where each team can earn 10 seconds.  I have an ep. from 2000 on my PC with 3:50/3:00/2:50 and it was very possible for the 3:50 team to get to 4:30; they entered the Round Robin at 3:20 and the other teams did get 10 second questions earlier in the game.

Could you do it in 1994 like the OP said though? I don't think the 30 Second Shootout was a thing yet, and I think they were only doing one ABC question at the time.

And if the 30 Second Shootout was around in 1994, there's another false memory for the thread.
In the 2000 ep. I mentioned, the game wasn't the 30 Second Shootout.  It was one of those games with 6 or 7 choices and each team can earn 10 seconds by picking one of the 3 right answers.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2021, 09:07:01 PM »
My false memory was thinking the last "Password All Stars" was the last show of ABC Password.   I remember seeing that last episode at the time and assumed it was gone after that and was surprised years later that it ran four more months in the "back to contestants" format.

RobertSearcy

• Executive Producer
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2021, 09:09:25 PM »
My false memory from childhood was thinking George Burns hosted Hot Potato.

It wasn't until I finally got internet and started researching game shows online and then watching Hot Potato on GSN that it was Bill Cullen hosting.
"If everyone played Stud 8, it wouldn't matter who's in the White House because this would be one happy country!" -- Norman Chad during the 2007 World Series of Poker $50K HORSE event

BrandonFG

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2021, 09:49:37 PM »
Aaron Sica and I have had this conversation a lot. :P

When MG '90 premiered, I forever thought it aired at 10 am on WVEC. Aaron - who vacationed in my neck of the woods in summer 1990 - always reminds me MG was originally at 10:30. My confusion came from the fact that September was when it moved to 10, making room for Trump Card at 10:30.

I also thought that if a network show aired at whatever Eastern time, that it automatically aired three hours behind in the Pacific time zone. I distinctly remember asking my aunt if people in Cali got MG at 7:30 am.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2021, 11:09:31 PM »
Two related to Wheel: I could've sworn that while the slide whistle was dedicated to Bankrupts, that the incorrect letter/guess buzzer was also dedicated to hitting Lose-A-Turn and I'm actually still surprised when I remember that this isn't the case and there's just silence (or an audience "Aw.") when it happens before moving on to the next player.

Also, while I knew that spotting contestants RSTLNE in the bonus round was something that came in the late 80s and wasn't always around, I could've sworn that there was always a bonus round. I was shocked to see a Woolery episode for the first time and see that was not the case.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

trainman

« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2021, 11:35:41 PM »
I also thought that if a network show aired at whatever Eastern time, that it automatically aired three hours behind in the Pacific time zone. I distinctly remember asking my aunt if people in Cali got MG at 7:30 am.

The closest I've seen to this with my own eyes is that, at least at one point in the late '80s/early '90s, the CBS affiliate in Denver carried daytime programming from the Eastern feed (with "CBS This Morning" from 6:00 to 8:00) and the NBC affiliate carried daytime programming from the Pacific feed. This meant that, for example, TPIR aired at 9:00 and Wheel aired at 11:00.
trainman is a man of trains

SuperMatch93

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2021, 08:09:25 AM »
When I was very young, I thought "lose a turn" on Wheel meant that the contestant would lose their next turn as well, and I thought I remembered that happening in the Windows version that Sony Imagesoft put out.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

aaron sica

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2021, 08:32:12 AM »
Aaron Sica and I have had this conversation a lot. :P

When MG '90 premiered, I forever thought it aired at 10 am on WVEC. Aaron - who vacationed in my neck of the woods in summer 1990 - always reminds me MG was originally at 10:30. My confusion came from the fact that September was when it moved to 10, making room for Trump Card at 10:30.

Yep! I still remember being so pleasantly surprised that WVEC carried it. When I saw a 10am show that was a half hour, I crossed my fingers that maybe - just maybe - they'd slot MG90 at 10:30. I remember being so happy when I saw that they did.

Regarding the time zones - I think I actually learned time zones, believe it or not, from Nickelodeon! Back in 1982 when there was only one feed, they actually announced each time zone's time and displayed it on the screen with whatever show they were advertising.

I had no idea of the West Coast daytime TV setup until my first LA TV Guide in 1984, and that out there, the daytime schedule went 9am-3:30pm, instead of 10am-4:30pm.

JMFabiano

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2021, 09:21:40 AM »
I had this vague memory/invented/dreamt an MG/HS scenario where no one picked a certain star in HS at all, so said star left the set and put a sign up saying so in their square. 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2021, 01:53:18 PM »
For years, on the 80s Pyramid, I thought if a contestant won both Winner’s Circles, that they went home with $35,000, and not an augmented $25K.

Speaking of Pyramid? Another false memory was that ABC had primetime Pyramid specials much like Feud did, that aired at 8. I remembered the kids getting the 35 seconds instead of 30. Thanks to being able to reference, I know now that there was only one ABC primetime "Pyramid" special (and from seeing some kids eps, they *did* get 35 seconds).

Another false one for me... Tic Tac Dough having a kids week, and when they went to face the dragon, prizes listed behind the squares, not money amounts.

TTD actually did have a kids week.  I know because I got a DVD of Early GSN and More and they showed a kids episode of TTD during GSN's late night games.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2021, 02:04:45 PM »
I'm not sure if these are quite in line with this thread, but it seems similar to others.

As a child, I thought each game show taped in its own place in Hollywood, and you'd see the show's signs out in front of where you could go see them, like a restaurant or store sign.

I also thought the mid show break on TPiR where the logo is zoomed out so that the light border was visible again was done because they had to do that so that the light border would be in the right place for the next show.

I thought of the same thing with the former.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2021, 02:06:27 PM »
For years, on the 80s Pyramid, I thought if a contestant won both Winner’s Circles, that they went home with $35,000, and not an augmented $25K.

Speaking of Pyramid? Another false memory was that ABC had primetime Pyramid specials much like Feud did, that aired at 8. I remembered the kids getting the 35 seconds instead of 30. Thanks to being able to reference, I know now that there was only one ABC primetime "Pyramid" special (and from seeing some kids eps, they *did* get 35 seconds).

Another false one for me... Tic Tac Dough having a kids week, and when they went to face the dragon, prizes listed behind the squares, not money amounts.

TTD actually did have a kids week.  In 2008, I received some early GSN DVDs from an online friend and they showed a kids episode of TTD from late night games.

Hastin

« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2021, 02:06:41 PM »
When I was very young, I thought "lose a turn" on Wheel meant that the contestant would lose their next turn as well, and I thought I remembered that happening in the Windows version that Sony Imagesoft put out.

This is STILL how the Pressman instructions are written as well: "Lose A Turn: If a player spins Lose A Turn, he/she ends that turn and forfeits the next turn."
-Hastin :)

Jamey Greek

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2021, 02:24:03 PM »
I too, thought that runs of game shows were new episodes and originals and not reruns.  I did not get the concept of reruns.  I remember when I was five I wanted a scrabble T-shirt but could not find one and also when I went to Toys R Us during a vacation in New Orleans when I was seven to look for the pyramid home game but I could not find it.  I finally realized they were reruns when I saw the Viacom Silver V at the end of Split Second on FAM and i thought that Viacom reverted back to the silver V.  Also when I saw the old 20th Century Fox TV logo at the end of a $100k Pyramid rerun on USA.  And I thought wait, that's not right.

I also thought that Game shows had their own place to tape. like a restaursnt or store.   

I thought Vanna and Pat were married when I saw the promo of Wheel during "The Wheel is gonna get you" campaign and seeing a kid coming home after baseball only to see Vanna and Pat greet him.  I thought that was their son and their house!  And the show originated from their house!