Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show false memories  (Read 55141 times)

Ian Wallis

Re: Game show false memories
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2021, 11:13:12 PM »

I knew it didn't have gag gifts, but did it really not have any Forfeit squares?

I'm pretty sure the Narz version DID have Forfeit squares - at least in its first couple of seasons.  I got the box game for Christmas one year and when i saw the game had both Take and Forfeit squares, I wasn't surprised because that's what I saw on the show.  I remember a couple of contestants trying to pick out the least expensive prize to forfeit.

Unless this is a false memory...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Bryce L.

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2021, 01:32:22 AM »

I knew it didn't have gag gifts, but did it really not have any Forfeit squares?

I'm pretty sure the Narz version DID have Forfeit squares - at least in its first couple of seasons.  I got the box game for Christmas one year and when i saw the game had both Take and Forfeit squares, I wasn't surprised because that's what I saw on the show.  I remember a couple of contestants trying to pick out the least expensive prize to forfeit.

Unless this is a false memory...
Not saying it's a false memory, but neither of the two 1974 shows Winc. shared have any Forfeits, so if they were used, they were dropped by the end of the '73-'74 season at the latest.

mrchips

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2021, 09:46:01 AM »
Another false one for me... Tic Tac Dough having a kids week, and when they went to face the dragon, prizes listed behind the squares, not money amounts.
You’re not alone on that one. I think I further misremembered that that was during the brief CBS run.

My false memory from $otC involved Barbara Phillips’s lot-win question. I thought it was about the then-recent return of the Sinai Peninsula (“EGPYT IS RIGHT!!”).

JMFabiano

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2021, 12:04:16 PM »
THERE WAS A JOHN DAVIDSON $10,000 PYR....nah, serious answers here. 

Remember the week or so of MG/HS where Gene had laryngitis?  For some reason I attributed that to the syndicated regular MG.  And I remember someone substituting for him because of it. 

The 1980 Chain Reaction logo looking like the Love Connection one. 

The Big Wheel getting stuck between spaces on the red peg, and Bob calling said peg "the penny". 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 02:55:35 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2021, 03:13:52 PM »
I’m not sure whether this one is a “false memory” or just blurry:

Did USA ever run episodes of $otC where the Fame Game board had celeb pics instead of numbers? I seem to recall seeing some eps from that era as a kid (so not YouTube uploads), and it looked so odd since I was used to the number board.

(I was a toddler when Perry $otC premiered, so I don’t think I’d have remembered it from first run.)

SuperMatch93

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2021, 03:34:09 PM »

Did USA ever run episodes of $otC where the Fame Game board had celeb pics instead of numbers? I seem to recall seeing some eps from that era as a kid (so not YouTube uploads), and it looked so odd since I was used to the number board.

(I was a toddler when Perry $otC premiered, so I don’t think I’d have remembered it from first run.)

No, they only ever ran the syndie series and the last six months, and the faces were only on during the first year or so of daytime.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

chargeradiocom

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2021, 03:56:36 PM »

No, they only ever ran the syndie series and the last six months, and the faces were only on during the first year or so of daytime.
That’s kind of what I thought. Not sure, then, when or where I first saw a celeb board ep, but I guess we can chalk up another false memory.  ;D

That Don Guy

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2021, 05:11:12 PM »
Another false one for me... Tic Tac Dough having a kids week, and when they went to face the dragon, prizes listed behind the squares, not money amounts.
You’re not alone on that one. I think I further misremembered that that was during the brief CBS run.

You may also be misremembering how the bonus game on the CBS version worked - there were four Xs, four Os, and the Dragon; each space was worth $150, and there was only one three-in-a-row, which needed to be found to win the prize.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2021, 08:39:31 PM »
I thought that Charlie O' Donnell announcedThe Challengers until I got a copy of EOTVGS.  Also, I thought that Charlie Tuna announced $otc.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2021, 09:00:31 PM »
I thought that Hot Potato had a board game because I saw cards and thought I saw the logo.  Also, speaking of HP,  I thought Jim Lange hosted it.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2021, 06:23:52 PM »
Don’t know if this really counts, but as a child, I thought all game shows were recorded live, and wondered how they managed to get clips for promos that aired in advance.

I wanna say I thought the Whammy was a real creature who lived behind the board.

Along this line of childhood misconceptions, four-year-old me didn't realize that game shows had writers, and I assumed that after each round, Pat and Vanna went behind the puzzleboard and racked their brains to think of the next puzzle to put up.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2021, 06:39:48 AM »
As a kid, I used to think "Concentration" opened NBC daytime service.  Looking at old TV Guides for my area, I found our affiliate covered the 10am show with the last third of a locally originated movie.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SamJ93

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2021, 06:41:17 AM »
Here's one that just came up for me...was scrolling through my Facebook feed and came across a screenshot of a Wheel ep. from 2002 showing that they already had the LED score displays in place. I could have sworn they still had the old eggcrate displays until at least 2005.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Big Brain

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2021, 09:16:21 AM »
I swear I remember:

A 1994 team on Supermarket Sweep just destroying the competition with about 4:30 of sweep time and ending with a Big Sweep total of around $2300.

A bonus round of TJW '90 ending with "Joker, JOKER....Tires!?!" and then Pat very awkwardly congratulating the contestant for acquiring four brand new radials.

aaron sica

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2021, 03:46:37 PM »
As a kid, I used to think "Concentration" opened NBC daytime service.  Looking at old TV Guides for my area, I found our affiliate covered the 10am show with the last third of a locally originated movie.

Along these same lines, I thought P+ was cancelled in 1981. I was quite surprised to see it listed in a Washington-Baltimore TV Guide in March, 1982 (week of 13-19, literally right before its cancellation). All three NBC stations covered in my local TVG (2 from Baltimore, 3 from Philly, 8 from Lancaster) offered news at noon and didn't slot the show anywhere else. 4 in Washington DID offer noon news, but showed the noon option on a one-day delay at 9:30am. I also was later surprised "Card Sharks" was on as long at it was, for the same reason.