Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show false memories  (Read 55182 times)

aaron sica

Game show false memories
« on: February 25, 2021, 08:39:33 AM »
If not for reference books and the internet to debunk your claim, what would you still insist you remember?

I honestly thought that Match Game '7X made it into 1980 and could still imagine seeing the "Match Game 80" sign in my mind, but I know it never happened.

tyshaun1

Re: Game show false memories
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 08:50:59 AM »
One of my earliest memories of watching game shows as a kid was "Hit Man", probably cause of the video game aspect. I also was sure that it was hosted by Chuck Woolery until the early 90's and EOTVGS.

daveromanjr

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 09:13:02 AM »
I could've sworn I remembered the set to Password Plus on my grandmother's TV set in her apartment as a young child.

I was born in 1983.  So no.

Brian44

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 09:26:55 AM »
Until I saw TPIR reruns on GSN during the Dark Period, I always thought the Give or Keep board was set at center stage instead of to the left of the turntable.

nowhammies10

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 09:28:59 AM »
Because Vanna used to wait until the letters lit up before turning them, I thought that the actual letter didn't appear until the box was lit, even if she arrived at the correct position early.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 11:03:47 AM »
Until I saw TPIR reruns on GSN during the Dark Period, I always thought the Give or Keep board was set at center stage instead of to the left of the turntable.

And speaking of, I was sure Give or Keep was always played as the first stage game.
czambo@mac.com

Sodboy13

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 01:14:40 PM »
I thought that if a player hit zero on $ale of the Century, they were out of the game.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

PPatters

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 01:29:21 PM »
Not a false memory as much as me being a stupid kid. My grandma got GSN as soon as it came out. I was 8. I remember watching the shows, not understanding the concept of reruns, and thought all the episodes were new... I would get so confused when Bob’s hair would be darker on TPIR.
Patrick

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 01:44:10 PM »
Don’t know if this really counts, but as a child, I thought all game shows were recorded live, and wondered how they managed to get clips for promos that aired in advance.

I also remember an incident on PYL where Peter walked over to the board and asked who was in there, and they tossed out a piece of clothing. I wanna say I thought the Whammy was a real creature who lived behind the board.

For years, on the 80s Pyramid, I thought if a contestant won both Winner’s Circles, that they went home with $35,000, and not an augmented $25K.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 01:51:08 PM »
For years, on the 80s Pyramid, I thought if a contestant won both Winner’s Circles, that they went home with $35,000, and not an augmented $25K.

I thought that too, until I saw on Donnymid that they flashed both a $15,000 and $25,000 graphic and was able to put it together.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 02:23:55 PM »

I thought that too, until I saw on Donnymid that they flashed both a $15,000 and $25,000 graphic and was able to put it together.
I remember that causing a little excitement on ATGS when the show premiered. Apparently a lotta people were confused. :)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Brian44

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 02:27:50 PM »
John Davidson generally gets a bad rap for his Pyramid hosting abilities, but he always made it clear that the contestant played for a total of $25K if they made a second trip to the WC.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 02:32:36 PM »
I thought that if a player hit zero on $ale of the Century, they were out of the game.

Until very recently, I was sure I had seen a contestant go a few bucks negative.
@lambertman

aaron sica

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 02:39:54 PM »

Speaking of Pyramid? Another false memory was that ABC had primetime Pyramid specials much like Feud did, that aired at 8. I remembered the kids getting the 35 seconds instead of 30. Thanks to being able to reference, I know now that there was only one ABC primetime "Pyramid" special (and from seeing some kids eps, they *did* get 35 seconds).

Another false one for me... Tic Tac Dough having a kids week, and when they went to face the dragon, prizes listed behind the squares, not money amounts.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 03:17:25 PM »
Up until I joined the hobby more than 20 years ago, I "remembered:"

- The huge Tic Tac Dough floor sign returned when Jim Caldwell took over
- Bob Goen was hosting WoF before Changing Keys was remixed
- Watching one week some random guy named Blake "Evans" appear as USA Chain Reaction host

On that last one, that's how I'm positive that if Blake's episodes were skipped over when airing in regular sequence, at least a few were definitely rerun at some point.