Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show false memories  (Read 56128 times)

Jamey Greek

Re: Game show false memories
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2021, 04:37:13 PM »
I thought that USA's game shows also cane on on the weekends.  I could have sworn that I saw a rerun of Hot Potato  on Sunday afternoon followed by Pyramid.  I remember wanting to watch Pyramid but I was at my grandmother's at the time and she had a "better idea" to take a nap.  Boy was I upset!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2021, 08:58:08 PM »
Wait, Scrabble reruns continued on WNBC? I sure as hell don’t remember that.

They still followed the network schedule on certain things; it aired the Scrabble/Scattergories hour at noon as per the schedule, and when Full House was picked up for reruns on NBC I know they carried it at 11 as per the schedule dictation.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

aaron sica

« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2021, 08:19:27 AM »

Yep! Just verified this with NY Daily News. Up until "Joan Rivers" moved from WCBS to WNBC and took the 3pm slot in September 1990.

webberm73

« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2021, 08:41:10 AM »
I am almost 100% sure that I saw an episode of Family Feud around '83-'84 where the families had played a triple round and their scores were tied at the end of the round, but neither had scored enough to win. Richard quickly signaled for another round and said that this would settle the tie. When the game board spun around, instead of another "TRIPLE" on each side of the board, it said "TIE". I don't know where the memory comes from (perhaps a dream?) but it seemed so real. Obviously, it makes no sense at all since they would just play another triple round.

ET206

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2021, 10:18:50 AM »
I used to think that 5 Price Tags and Safe Crackers were played behind Door #1 on TPiR.
I also thought that I'd seen a $otC player with a negative score once.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2021, 06:19:20 PM »
I used to think that 5 Price Tags and Safe Crackers were played behind Door #1 on TPiR.

Same here, same here. As soon as I got online and found out that was not the case, I felt silly for not noticing the designs on the door(s).

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Clay Zambo

« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2021, 09:52:10 PM »

Same here, same here. As soon as I got online and found out that was not the case, I felt silly for not noticing the designs on the door(s).

-Jason

Well, this is hardly a false *memory*, but until I saw a taping in person I thought the host’s entrance was through Door 1. (I also didn’t realize until then that the home base/turntable unit was on a pivot and moved slightly stage right for the Showcase.)
czambo@mac.com

Kevin Prather

« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2021, 10:52:00 PM »
(I also didn’t realize until then that the home base/turntable unit was on a pivot and moved slightly stage right for the Showcase.)

That's news to me.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2021, 12:41:49 AM »

Yep! Just verified this with NY Daily News. Up until "Joan Rivers" moved from WCBS to WNBC and took the 3pm slot in September 1990.

Okay then. I shall stand corrected and buy you a drink or a burger next time I see you. :)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2021, 12:46:30 AM »
(I also didn’t realize until then that the home base/turntable unit was on a pivot and moved slightly stage right for the Showcase.)

That's news to me.
Same.

Speaking of TPiR's set and home base, until I was maybe a teen, I never processed that the Showcase round was done at home base, nor realized how many games or the Showcase Showdown happened at center stage. I remember a showcase from about 1994, where the models did a marching band routine in front of the lecterns, and I finally put 2+2 together.

I dunno how I also didn't process the multiple doors until my teenage years.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2021, 12:51:54 PM »
One false memory I had was that the board on Press Your Luck moved from square-to-square in the exact board order (as in, squares 1, then 2, 3, etc.)

That would have made the game too easy. XD

Jamey Greek

« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2021, 10:14:32 AM »
One false memory I had was seeing promos for Daytime Wheel's move to CBS, I thought they were of Pat and Vanna but they were of Bob and Vanna.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2021, 11:09:04 AM »
That reminds me of a memory I had that I thought was a false memory until YouTube happened and I realized it actually happened -- the $1250 wedge on Goen Wheel.  I thought 6-year-old me had made it up because clearly they never had a weird value like that on the wheel...right?

Otm Shank

« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2021, 01:12:32 AM »
Until recently, I would have testified under oath that the $otC Instant Bargains were staged behind the door leading to Bargainlandia/where Jim Perry enters. Only until I saw the blooper where they prematurely reset did I realize they had that on a turntable with the Fame Game board.

BrandonFG

« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2021, 11:33:26 PM »
Until recently, I would have testified under oath that the $otC Instant Bargains were staged behind the door leading to Bargainlandia/where Jim Perry enters. Only until I saw the blooper where they prematurely reset did I realize they had that on a turntable with the Fame Game board.
Same.

This has messed with me for a while. As a child, I remember watching $otC while home from school in summer 1988. I could’ve sworn that the Winner’s Board remained in place until then, but Wiki says December ‘87. So unless NBC showed summer reruns from late-87, I imagine my memory is fuzzy.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!