Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show false memories  (Read 55867 times)

WilliamPorygon

Re: Game show false memories
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2021, 05:17:04 PM »
During the 90s I could've sworn having a vague recollection of once seeing a Wheel of Fortune episode where the yellow player's flipper broke off the wheel in the middle of the game, and their "solution" was to disqualify him and just play the rest of the game with only two players.  Now that the internet exists and I have a better idea of how game show production works in general (i.e. if the wheel did break they'd stop tape and fix it, obviously) I'm pretty sure I just saw a rare game that had to go to a tiebreaker when I was 3 or 4 years old and my developing brain somehow warped it into the story I believed.

Bobby B.

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2021, 07:00:05 PM »
There was a summer in either 1994 or 1995 where Nickelodeon aired Super Sloppy Double Dare (1989) reruns in the mornings.  I remember watching every day and loving it because for a few years, Family Double Dare was the only version they aired.  But years later, after getting Nickelodeon GAS, I realized I had misremembered a couple of things about those episodes.  First, I thought Marc Summers mentioned Nickelodeon in the sign-off (something like “Join us here every day on Nickelodeon, the first kids’ network.”).  Second, I thought Harvey talked over the Viacom logo (and pronounced it “Vee-a-Com”).  I don’t know what I was thinking with Marc’s sign-off, but I now know what I had mixed up with the Viacom logo.  That’s the way Split Second always ended, and I was watching those reruns on Family Channel during the same time period.

chad1m

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2021, 07:09:55 PM »
I don’t know what I was thinking with Marc’s sign-off
Perhaps you were just misremembering his Family Double Dare sign-off. Time permitting, sometimes Marc would end with “Join us here on Nickelodeon every Saturday and Sunday at 7:30” in 1990, or “Join us every weekend at 5:00 Eastern, 4:00 Central” in 1992.

BrandonFG

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2021, 08:33:35 PM »
Second, I thought Harvey talked over the Viacom logo (and pronounced it “Vee-a-Com”).  I don’t know what I was thinking with Marc’s sign-off, but I now know what I had mixed up with the Viacom logo.  That’s the way Split Second always ended, and I was watching those reruns on Family Channel during the same time period.
Maybe you were thinking of the Universal Studios closing announcement? Every Nick original ended with the announcer saying the show originated from Universal in Orlando.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Bryce L.

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2021, 08:45:35 PM »
I swear I remember:

A 1994 team on Supermarket Sweep just destroying the competition with about 4:30 of sweep time and ending with a Big Sweep total of around $2300.
Considering how awash they were with bonuses circa 1993-1994 (not making this one up, there's a 1993 episode that Buzzr's aired, where Team 1 ended up winning the game on bonuses alone), I'd actually be willing to believe this one.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2021, 11:05:23 PM »
That the "change any one card per line" originated with Perry's version, not Eubanks'.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2021, 05:51:04 AM »
I swear I remember:

A 1994 team on Supermarket Sweep just destroying the competition with about 4:30 of sweep time and ending with a Big Sweep total of around $2300.
Considering how awash they were with bonuses circa 1993-1994 (not making this one up, there's a 1993 episode that Buzzr's aired, where Team 1 ended up winning the game on bonuses alone), I'd actually be willing to believe this one.

The $2300 I'd buy. The 4:30 not so much. There just isn't 3:00 on offer, even if you sweep the Round Robin.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2021, 08:10:09 AM »
I swear I remember:

The $2300 I'd buy. The 4:30 not so much. There just isn't 3:00 on offer, even if you sweep the Round Robin.
There's enough time out there, especially if all teams get 30 seconds on both A/B/C questions or the 3-question rounds where each team can earn 10 seconds.  I have an ep. from 2000 on my PC with 3:50/3:00/2:50 and it was very possible for the 3:50 team to get to 4:30; they entered the Round Robin at 3:20 and the other teams did get 10 second questions earlier in the game.

JMFabiano

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2021, 08:25:44 AM »
Must be a slow news day on some blogs, guess who is picking on this thread (without a good reason why?) 

Another Card Sharks one....thinking the push rule started on Eubanks.  I only had the Perry finale at the time from 1981 episodes, and assumed they made the change cause it was the last episode.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

BrandonFG

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2021, 09:06:38 AM »
Must be a slow news day on some blogs, guess who is picking on this thread (without a good reason why?) 
Do we really need to keep referring to him? He’s not here for a reason, and it only gives him unnecessary press by mentioning every little thing he says.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2021, 09:39:27 AM »
There's enough time out there, especially if all teams get 30 seconds on both A/B/C questions or the 3-question rounds where each team can earn 10 seconds.  I have an ep. from 2000 on my PC with 3:50/3:00/2:50 and it was very possible for the 3:50 team to get to 4:30; they entered the Round Robin at 3:20 and the other teams did get 10 second questions earlier in the game.

Could you do it in 1994 like the OP said though? I don't think the 30 Second Shootout was a thing yet, and I think they were only doing one ABC question at the time.

And if the 30 Second Shootout was around in 1994, there's another false memory for the thread.

tyshaun1

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2021, 12:24:01 PM »

I agree with Brandon..... he (and several other forums and blogs) uses this board as content for their own, at the same time "trashing" it. Let it go.

Bryce L.

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2021, 01:02:49 PM »
...if the 30 Second Shootout was around in 1994...
It was, debuted in 1993 (has popped up on a few of the episodes Buzzr aired in their last batch).

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2021, 06:15:56 PM »
Here's an ancient false memory - early daytime CBS episodes of Password had the mid-show network/local ID cutaways that were quite common in the 50s.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2021, 06:18:47 PM »
...if the 30 Second Shootout was around in 1994...
It was, debuted in 1993 (has popped up on a few of the episodes Buzzr aired in their last batch).

Well, there you go then. I sit corrected.