Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show false memories  (Read 55201 times)

BillCullen1

Re: Game show false memories
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2022, 12:03:02 PM »
When I was very young, I thought "lose a turn" on Wheel meant that the contestant would lose their next turn as well.

I thought the same thing. Also on TPIR, I figured the Squeeze Play and Range Game boards moved by someone pushing a button. Turns out they're manually operated.

Bryce L.

« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2022, 01:00:35 PM »
When I was very young, I thought "lose a turn" on Wheel meant that the contestant would lose their next turn as well.

I thought the same thing. Also on TPIR, I figured the Squeeze Play and Range Game boards moved by someone pushing a button. Turns out they're manually operated.
Can't speak to Squeeze Play, but at one time I'm pretty sure Range Game was operated by a motor... which would explain it jamming up multiple times, as we've seen in the 1982-1983 stuff on the Barker Era channel. And I'd assume these issues are why they eventually changed it to a stagehand turning a crank.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2022, 07:35:02 PM »
Can't speak to Squeeze Play, but at one time I'm pretty sure Range Game was operated by a motor

It's true of Squeeze Play, too.  Look at the board the next time it pops up on Pluto -- there's a big gap in the base that you'd be able to see the operator through if there were one there.

JMFabiano

« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2022, 10:11:13 AM »
Not sure I'd call this false as I distinctly remember it happening, but one of those wrestling specials on Combs FF...it had to be one of the WWF vs. WBF (remember THAT?) episodes.  The question was, "Name a kind of wrestling."  In revealing the rest of the answers at the end of the round, Ray wonders out loud if "fake wrestling" is one of the answers. 

(Perhaps this fits more with "lost" GS moments, as I have yet to see it again online.  The 1994-95 episode where Richard reads a letter saying they don't like him nor the "other guy" is like this too) 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

thewhammy_2000

« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2022, 06:44:08 PM »
1.  I could have sworn I saw a USA repeat of Bullseye where the plunger on Bonus Island was broken and it stayed that way during the whole episode. Also, you could see the shadow of the plunger on the left side as you're looking at the board.
2. I saw some newsmagazine episode about an 80s  Name That Tune $100K winner who won the lot with the balloons and confetti, by a score of ## to 4. Something happened. I then wrote to USA if they could rerun NTT. Obviously I got a reason why they won't/can't.
3. Was there really nothing on the set of that Mario/Melvin van Peebles BET game show in the 1990s?

Otm Shank

« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2022, 11:25:06 PM »
2. I saw some newsmagazine episode about an 80s  Name That Tune $100K winner who won the lot with the balloons and confetti, by a score of ## to 4. Something happened. I then wrote to USA if they could rerun NTT. Obviously I got a reason why they won't/can't.
16-4? That happened

Bryce L.

« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2022, 11:30:31 PM »
And if the blur on the right is who I think it is, then it's quite satisfying to see him get curbstomped to that extent.

BrandonFG

« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2022, 12:29:56 AM »
Okay I’ll bite. What’s your beef? I think his name was Hap but he seemed harmless.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2022, 01:01:04 AM »
Okay I’ll bite. What’s your beef? I think his name was Hap but he seemed harmless.

The dude bent the rules about as far as you could bend them (passing, then rescinding the passes and guessing) during the Golden Medley that he won. It was rather off putting for some including me. YMMV.

Another false.memory of mine: a 90 second Sale of the Century speed round.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2022, 01:43:23 AM »
The dude bent the rules about as far as you could bend them (passing, then rescinding the passes and guessing) during the Golden Medley that he won. It was rather off putting for some including me. YMMV.

Was this the same guy who would prattle off about half the song hoping the title would be in there? (I bet there were a handful of people who did that.)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #175 on: March 25, 2022, 05:11:38 AM »
He was. Bryce confused him with Les Gould who would incur a 15 yard penalty for excessive celebration after every right answer.
Travis L. Eberle

SuperMatch93

« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2022, 06:45:53 AM »
Another false memory of mine: a 90 second Sale of the Century speed round.

For years, the Wikipedia article said it was originally 90 seconds, I even asked on here if it had ever been that long and people debunked it.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

thewhammy_2000

« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2022, 11:39:19 AM »
16-4? That happened

Okay. Good. Love that Eggcrate 4 in this pic. The newsmagazine, I think was A Current Affair, or Nightline, or some other show I saw at night had a story about one of those two. That I cannot recall.

Fixed a broken quote box. -knagl
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 06:06:38 PM by knagl »

PYLdude

« Reply #178 on: March 25, 2022, 06:35:19 PM »
Another false memory of mine: a 90 second Sale of the Century speed round.

For years, the Wikipedia article said it was originally 90 seconds, I even asked on here if it had ever been that long and people debunked it.

I’m probably the one who put that bit of info in there then.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

PYLdude

« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2022, 06:36:30 PM »

Was this the same guy who would prattle off about half the song hoping the title would be in there? (I bet there were a handful of people who did that.)

But not to that kinda degree. Hap was a…unique case, let’s say. :)