Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show false memories  (Read 56096 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Game show false memories
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2021, 11:56:35 PM »
I had thought furs were still being offered on Barker's TPIR through at least the late 80's.  Buzzr's TPIR Channel proved that theory wrong.
Interesting, I thought I’d read that around 1987 was when they stopped offering furs. Maybe that was when Barker stopped hosting the pageants over the issue.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Bryce L.

« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2021, 01:03:54 AM »
Maybe that was when Barker stopped hosting the pageants over the issue.
This is correct; 1987 was his last year for the pageants.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2021, 12:47:27 AM »
A false memory-ish, but when Barker hosted TPIR, the shooting style made the studio look huge. The newer style shows how much smaller it really is. Post-Barker TPIR killed a lot of childhood memories for me.
Yeah, the first time I saw a Hollywood TV taping in person (a little over 10 years ago), it was pretty eye opening, how they make it look like they’re taping in good-sized auditorium, but in reality there are maybe 200 or so in the audience tops.

I know that’s probably no big deal for those who grew up or work in LA or NYC. But for this Midwestern boy, it was a bit of a culture shock.

Apparently my memories of watching Treasure Hunt and Match Game in first run were visiting grandparents and seeing it on CBN because we sure as hell didn't have cable in 1986 as far as I remember.

Hold up...MG was on CBN at one point?  (I knew about Card Sharks and Blockbusters)
Since this thread keeps getting gravedug, I meant to come back to this earlier & never did...

On the small-town cable system I grew up with in the 80s, the only actual cable channel we had for a long time was CBN. (They eventually added TBS too—but we got locals from 3 different cities.) So we watched a lot of CBN. And for the life of me, I can’t remember them ever running MG. Of course, I was a young kid in a conservative home & probably wouldn’t have been allowed to watch it; but I think I’d have remembered seeing promos for it. So if CBN ever did run MG, it was in the late 70s or very early 80s, before I’d have any recollection.

Another thing is that CBN/Family Channel was owned by Pat Robertson’s organization, so they might have felt MG was too racy for CBN. Granted, Card Sharks had its share of racy material too. But it flew a little more under the radar, while MG was more out front about it.

A while back, the topic came up here of the Game Net channel that FAM had planned to launch around the same time GSN launched. (It was one of our rabbit trails rather than its own topic, if anyone feels compelled to find it.) Adam Nedeff said his understanding was that the entire deal hinged on the G-T rights, and that when Sony grabbed them, the Game Net launch was off. Since that conversation, I’ve wondered, if Robertson’s org had secured the G-T rights, how would they have handled MG? Would they have downplayed it? Played it at all? Or would they have still pushed it as the (at least #2) definitive game show, the way Sony & Fremantle have portrayed it the last 25 years?

TimK2003

« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2021, 03:02:29 AM »
After watching the 4th of July episode from the original High Rollers w/ Trebek & Lee, I realized that getting insurance markers for doubles did not apply for BOTH the main match and the Big Numbers...unless they changed that rule later on in the original run.

snowpeck

« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2021, 05:15:43 PM »
Apparently my memories of watching Treasure Hunt and Match Game in first run were visiting grandparents and seeing it on CBN because we sure as hell didn't have cable in 1986 as far as I remember.

Hold up...MG was on CBN at one point?  (I knew about Card Sharks and Blockbusters)
Since this thread keeps getting gravedug, I meant to come back to this earlier & never did...

On the small-town cable system I grew up with in the 80s, the only actual cable channel we had for a long time was CBN. (They eventually added TBS too—but we got locals from 3 different cities.) So we watched a lot of CBN. And for the life of me, I can’t remember them ever running MG. Of course, I was a young kid in a conservative home & probably wouldn’t have been allowed to watch it; but I think I’d have remembered seeing promos for it. So if CBN ever did run MG, it was in the late 70s or very early 80s, before I’d have any recollection.

Another thing is that CBN/Family Channel was owned by Pat Robertson’s organization, so they might have felt MG was too racy for CBN. Granted, Card Sharks had its share of racy material too. But it flew a little more under the radar, while MG was more out front about it.

A while back, the topic came up here of the Game Net channel that FAM had planned to launch around the same time GSN launched. (It was one of our rabbit trails rather than its own topic, if anyone feels compelled to find it.) Adam Nedeff said his understanding was that the entire deal hinged on the G-T rights, and that when Sony grabbed them, the Game Net launch was off. Since that conversation, I’ve wondered, if Robertson’s org had secured the G-T rights, how would they have handled MG? Would they have downplayed it? Played it at all? Or would they have still pushed it as the (at least #2) definitive game show, the way Sony & Fremantle have portrayed it the last 25 years?

Match Game was never on CBN, but a handful of local stations around the country did show reruns of the 1979-82 syndicated run during the 1985-86 season, so that may be what the memory is of.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Bryce L.

« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2021, 05:55:45 PM »

Match Game was never on CBN, but a handful of local stations around the country did show reruns of the 1979-82 syndicated run during the 1985-86 season, so that may be what the memory is of.
And that just got something for me... wasn't the reason for them offering the 1979-82 shows again in 1985-86, because they'd tried to get a new version going (to pair up with Kennedy TPIR), but couldn't get enough stations to sign up?

BrandonFG

« Reply #141 on: June 05, 2021, 01:34:32 PM »
Chris P. just reminded me how for years, I thought Wheel and Caesar’s Challenge contestants won their prizes and the equivalent in cash. In other words, if you won $4,000 and bought $3,850 in prizes, I thought you went home with $7,850.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

snowpeck

« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2021, 03:02:26 PM »
And that just got something for me... wasn't the reason for them offering the 1979-82 shows again in 1985-86, because they'd tried to get a new version going (to pair up with Kennedy TPIR), but couldn't get enough stations to sign up?
No, 1987 was when they tried to mount a new version of Match Game hosted by Gene Rayburn, which they tried to pair with a second season of Card Sharks with Bill Rafferty. Neither ended up getting picked up.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2021, 03:05:03 PM »
Chris P. just reminded me how for years, I thought Wheel and Caesar’s Challenge contestants won their prizes and the equivalent in cash. In other words, if you won $4,000 and bought $3,850 in prizes, I thought you went home with $7,850.

I actually didn’t know until much later about that rule; I think it was when I first discovered Tim Connolly’s review of it that I found out, only later seeing it in action after YouTube started up.

I was only 10 back then, so I suppose I can be forgiven a little. :)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2021, 03:43:54 PM »
No, 1987 was when they tried to mount a new version of Match Game hosted by Gene Rayburn, which they tried to pair with a second season of Card Sharks with Bill Rafferty. Neither ended up getting picked up.
Entertainment Tonight wishing Gene a happy 69th birthday didn't help.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JMFabiano

« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2022, 08:00:18 AM »
Forgive me overlords for gravedigging, but seeing Trivia Trap reminded me of another one...

Believing that the trap graphic in the actual game was animated, not unlike the one in the opening.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Neumms

« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2022, 04:06:50 PM »
Believing that the trap graphic in the actual game was animated, not unlike the one in the opening.

Heck, I wondered that until now. Maybe imagining it moving is a psychological trick.

Unrealtor

« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2022, 08:25:32 PM »
The "Ca$hword" graphic repeated itself across the screen multiple times vertically in different colors like the "Password" part of the opening animation.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

BrandonFG

« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2022, 08:31:08 PM »
Wait. Did it? The only Ca$word graphic I remember is the big green one that would "flip" onto the screen, then disappear the opposite direction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2022, 08:43:51 PM »
Wait. Did it? The only Ca$word graphic I remember is the big green one that would "flip" onto the screen, then disappear the opposite direction.

Note the title of the thread. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe