Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When you first heard “Game Show Network” was going to be a thing…  (Read 3573 times)

Ian Wallis

Re: When you first heard “Game Show Network” was going to be a thing…
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2023, 05:06:12 PM »
$20K Pyramid, Go!, Chain Reaction, Pass The Buck (which was phased out much too soon) and Break The Bank 76 were the best items to get exposure in the DP, along with perhaps just enough of "Diamond Head Game" so we got to see the Mercedes Benz episode, the most infamous in the show's history.    OTOH, I could have done without EVER seeing "Three's A Crowd" re-exposed to us again especially since GSN developed too much of a fondness for it even after the DP.

Surprisingly, the only one they completed the run of (TTBOMK) was Go! (you'd have figured their holdings of $20,000 Pyramid would have been a candidate).  They finished the runs of just about all of the GT shows.  At least GameTV finally gave us the rest of Kennedy Break the Bank.  Now, about those Barry shows...

I remember reading at the time that Three's a Crowd was the highest-rated show on the network at one point.  That's probably why they thought of the redo.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SamJ93

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2023, 07:29:11 PM »

I remember reading at the time that Three's a Crowd was the highest-rated show on the network at one point.  That's probably why they thought of the redo.

Also says a lot about the disconnect between game show geeks and normies...
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2023, 07:50:34 PM »

Also explains why, out of all shows they had the rights to and chose to revive, they went with that one. But given how red hot Jerry Springer was in the late-90s, I can see why 3aC did so well.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jcs290

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2023, 09:19:06 AM »
I was in jr high when GSN first came out.  I lived in rural PA, and our cable was very limited.  Some of my friends had C-Band or Primestar.  They all thought I was weird that I liked old game shows.  I remember just getting excited looking at old satellite tv guides and reading over the channel's lineup.  I wrote to Sony asking if they had a catalog to buy Winnie merch, and they wrote me back saying it was a WIP but sent me a free lapel pin, which I still have. I didn't have GSN available to me until I went to college and the on-campus cable system had it, which was 1999. I drove my roommates crazy since it was always on when I was studying or hanging out between classes. 

BillCullen1

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2023, 10:06:03 AM »
I first heard about GSN when Gene Rayburn was on a radio show talking about it. He mentioned that Match Game would be seen on it, and said some not-so-nice things about Richard Dawson. I finally got to see GSN when I got cable TV in 2003. I was never one to be on the cutting edge of technology. Right after the cable guy left, I turned on the TV, and there was Match Game '75.

TimK2003

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2023, 10:27:08 AM »

Also explains why, out of all shows they had the rights to and chose to revive, they went with that one. But given how red hot Jerry Springer was in the late-90s, I can see why 3aC did so well.

Also why GSN tapped Jerry Springer to host the show Baggage.

Stackertosh

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2023, 06:52:57 AM »
I was in middle school i believe and we upgraded out cable package and my tv never left GSN.