Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows Providing Wrong Information  (Read 30284 times)

That Don Guy

Re: Shows Providing Wrong Information
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2023, 07:07:18 PM »
I’m pretty sure Lindsay Wagner played The Bionic Woman, but that’s just me…
Correct. In fact, in the show's opening credits, it always said something like, "Estimated Cost: Classified", with "Classified" blinking and I think in a different color - and the only reason I can think of that they did this was to prevent people from calling her "The Six Million Dollar Woman."

Denials

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2023, 11:00:00 PM »
Was just watching a Wink Martindale High Rollers, and there was a question "Can you catch dandruff?".

The contestant answered no and was ruled wrong. 

However, everything I can find online says that dandruff isn't contagious.

(No smart alec responses saying you can catch it falling off your head in your hand)

Even funnier, the next episode started with a commercial for Head and Shoulders!

Bob Zager

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2023, 12:23:14 PM »
I've been trying to find a clip of the error from Jeopardy! where defending champ, Air Force Lt Colonel Daryl Scott (whose previous day winnings total was $1), avoided trying to respond to an incorrect Clue/Response.  The clue said: "She's the next character mentioned in "The Jetsons," theme after the line, "Meet George Jetson."

While watching a Jetsons episode yesterday, the line went "His boy, Elroy!"

Both challenging contestants gave incorrect responses, one said "who is daughter, Judy," the other said "who is his wife, Judy."  Afterwards, Alex said the correct response was "Who is his wife, Jane" which is also wrong.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2023, 12:49:23 PM »
I've been trying to find a clip of the error from Jeopardy! where defending champ, Air Force Lt Colonel Daryl Scott (whose previous day winnings total was $1), avoided trying to respond to an incorrect Clue/Response.  The clue said: "She's the next character mentioned in "The Jetsons," theme after the line, "Meet George Jetson."

Both challenging contestants gave incorrect responses, one said "who is daughter, Judy," the other said "who is his wife, Judy."  Afterwards, Alex said the correct response was "Who is his wife, Jane" which is also wrong.

It didn't happen during Scott's game according to j-archive.

The "error" was mentioned on air at a later date. The show claims there are multiple versions of the theme, and while the vastly more popular version goes George-Elroy-Judy-Jane, there is a version out there that goes George-Jane.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2023, 01:13:58 PM »

The "error" was mentioned on air at a later date. The show claims there are multiple versions of the theme, and while the vastly more popular version goes George-Elroy-Judy-Jane, there is a version out there that goes George-Jane.
Also, if the show's contention is correct (though, frankly, I'm dubious), I would have to rule Trebek's response valid as well. The clue doesn't call for the exact lyrics ("Jane, his wife"), just the character's name. And who knows? In this alleged alternate version, maybe the lyric is "his wife, Jane"?

Bob Zager

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2023, 01:48:39 PM »

Also, if the show's contention is correct (though, frankly, I'm dubious), I would have to rule Trebek's response valid as well. The clue doesn't call for the exact lyrics ("Jane, his wife"), just the character's name. And who knows? In this alleged alternate version, maybe the lyric is "his wife, Jane"?

I want to make sure I was clear, but it was not Scott's game where he won $1 to become champ, it was on his second day's appearance where the incident occurred.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2023, 01:56:27 PM »
I want to make sure I was clear, but it was not Scott's game where he won $1 to become champ, it was on his second day's appearance where the incident occurred.

I literally gave you a link to the game transcript. It happened one week after Scott's game.

Bob Zager

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2023, 04:16:07 PM »
Well, I'd say I had both episodes on the same videocassette tape and made an incorrect conclusion.  If The Jetsons did indeed have a different opening number, I'd never seen it; The Flintstones, I know did. I'm sorry for my mistake.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2023, 01:03:35 PM »
I know sitcoms, when entering syndication, often shortened their theme songs considerably. Wouldn’t surprise me if there were syndicated Jetsons eps where they cut the kids out altogether to get back :15 of ad space.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Bob Zager

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2023, 02:43:26 PM »
That is a good point, especially when The Jetsons originally ran on ABC-TV primetime.  Reportedly, it was also ABC's first program to be aired in color!

I recall back in 1985, there were brand-new episodes produced for two seasons in syndication, which occasionally, featured the original series episodes (with no "canned laughter," btw).  Among familiar game show names appearing in the end credits were Brian Cummings (former LMAD announcer), and Wink Martindale!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2023, 05:23:11 PM »
Or maybe it's as simple as the fact that in 1993, Jeopardy! was relying on books as the sources of most of its trivia questions, and it's very possible that the book the show referenced for that particular question misquoted the theme song's lyrics.

For example, one of the YouTube channels belonging to Warner Bros. Home Entertainment states "Meet George Jetson ... Jane, his wife ... daughter Judy ... his boy Elroy ..." underneath a video that clearly demonstrates that isn't the order the characters are named in the theme song. No source is infallible.

Mr. Brown

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2023, 01:37:47 AM »
I found this from my Facebook archives today:

Watching "The Chase" on Game Show Network. The question was: "Which of the following is the only monarchy in the Pacific?" Tonga, Fiji or Samoa.

Ummm... where's Japan? Last time I checked, Japan had an Emperor, albeit a figurehead much like the United Kingdom. But still, a monarchy nonetheless.

This was from November 2017.
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen