Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Last Pre-recorded Game Show Theme...  (Read 2452 times)

TimK2003

The Last Pre-recorded Game Show Theme...
« on: February 24, 2021, 01:12:37 PM »
Someone mentioned a while back how just about all the modern-day theme songs were now mostly done by someone with a synthesizer playing all the musical instrument parts.

Of course, there are still a few exceptions ‐‐ Take the live band on Name That Tune.  But again, those are in-studio bands performing much of the music live.

So excluding live bands (I also am excluding the Twenty-One orchestra that started live, then later recorded all the music), what was the last game show theme (or some of the last few) that were mostly recorded by real musicians and not a "Band In A Box" and when?

SuperMatch93

Re: The Last Pre-recorded Game Show Theme...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 02:35:19 PM »
I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that the theme for Strahan Pyramid was recorded with a live band.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 03:51:56 PM »
I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that the theme for Strahan Pyramid was recorded with a live band.

Based on what I'm gleaning from Bleeding Fingers Music's website, that would surprise me a great deal.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 04:23:41 PM »
So excluding live bands (I also am excluding the Twenty-One orchestra that started live, then later recorded all the music), what was the last game show theme (or some of the last few) that were mostly recorded by real musicians and not a "Band In A Box" and when?
Wasn't Drew's TPiR theme recorded by a band? I believe there was a podcast or Youtube video detailing the new theme.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 04:45:57 PM »
Wasn't Drew's TPiR theme recorded by a band? I believe there was a podcast or Youtube video detailing the new theme.

I believe so. Kalehoff's site once included shots of him at the Moog, and some of the other musicians working on the '07 theme. (edit: His company site still has the Moog shot)

joshg

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 05:22:24 PM »

I believe so. Kalehoff's site once included shots of him at the Moog, and some of the other musicians working on the '07 theme. (edit: His company site still has the Moog shot)

If you search "game show" in the library section, you may hear some familiar stuff... with names that might have been assigned after their initial use in the 1990s. :)
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

SuperMatch93

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 05:31:53 PM »

That might have been what I confused the situation with Strahan Pyramid for.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

pds319

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 06:36:33 PM »
Here's the link to the Twenty Thousand Hertz podcast about the TPIR theme

https://www.20k.org/episodes/thepriceisright

Clay Zambo

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 07:00:10 PM »

Sure, there's a lot of electronics and production involved, but at least the horn section were musicians playing actual brass instruments.
czambo@mac.com

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 11:27:37 AM »
WoF's non-Celebrity theme sounds like mostly real instruments are involved.

mystery7

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 01:44:18 PM »
If you stretch the definition of "live band" to someone jamming on an old Casio or playing virtual instruments through a MIDI controller, maybe that could be true. Nothing live about the way that theme sounds.

SamJ93

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 01:24:10 PM »
I have no proof, but the 25 Words Or Less theme sounds very "organic" to me...at least, the horn parts sound a lot more expressive than even a decent synthesizer could produce...
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.