Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Concentration" (1976): a question and an observation  (Read 1177 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
"Concentration" (1976): a question and an observation
« on: February 24, 2021, 02:12:57 AM »
I've been able to watch a good chunk of the Concentration episodes that Buzzr has aired so far. Without identifying specific episodes, I have both a question and an unrelated observation.

First, the question. I was under the impression that, on the prize board behind the contestants, the square next to each prize was reserved for some special symbol to be used when a contestant claims two of a prize because they matched prize+Wild Card both times. I had been waiting and waiting to see it happen... finally, there were a couple of different episodes where a contestant doubled up on a prize, but both times, the show just used the second graphic that they had, allowing the name of the prize to appear on the board twice. So why are those squares on the board?

Second, the observation. I was curious whether the show always used the same set of foreign currencies for the money game. I started tracking the picks from the early episodes in Buzzr's run and accidentally made a more interesting discovery. For almost all of the episodes that Buzzr has aired, there were only three arrangements of prizes in the money game. That is to say, if square 1 had 50 rubles, then its match would always be square 20. Squares 3 and 29 would always contain 1,000 pesetas, the 25,000 lire were behind squares 4 and 24, and so on. The show cycled through three different combinations of prizes.

I say "almost all" because in one of the most recent Buzzr episodes, a money game included a new arrangement with a Bonus Number on the board (the first three arrangements didn't include the Bonus Number at all). I'm guessing that the show decided to change things after x number of weeks, but it was fascinating to me to discover that they didn't expend any more effort than necessary on the end-of-show time filler.

Bryce L.

Re: "Concentration" (1976): a question and an observation
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 02:17:21 AM »
First, the question. I was under the impression that, on the prize board behind the contestants, the square next to each prize was reserved for some special symbol to be used when a contestant claims two of a prize because they matched prize+Wild Card both times. I had been waiting and waiting to see it happen... finally, there were a couple of different episodes where a contestant doubled up on a prize, but both times, the show just used the second graphic that they had, allowing the name of the prize to appear on the board twice. So why are those squares on the board?
Those squares are a leftover from the original NBC era (AFAIK the prize board is the exact one from the NBC set, just repainted and glued into one piece). In those days, if someone doubled up on a prize, that square would be filled with a check-mark symbol to indicate the duplicate prize.