Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deschanel and Bolton to Host “Celebrity Dating Game”  (Read 3500 times)

PPatters

Deschanel and Bolton to Host “Celebrity Dating Game”
« on: February 18, 2021, 02:12:41 PM »
Variety reports that Zooey Deschanel and Michael Bolton will team to host the new Celebrity Dating Game. They also report a new wrinkle: “Offering a spin on the classic dating show, the celebrity guests will remain a mystery as one lucky suitor is chosen from a hidden panel of three bachelors and/or bachelorettes based on their answers to the celebrity’s questions. Suitors will have the opportunity to guess the secret identity based on clues, questions and special parody performances by host Michael Bolton.”
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 08:40:22 PM by PPatters »
Patrick

JMFabiano

Re: Deschanel and Bolton to Host “Celebrity Dating Game”
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 02:44:02 PM »
I'd be offended if Dating Game actually was a deep show to begin with, I guess.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 05:25:44 PM »
Civilian contestants will be selected based on their acting ability, as they're going to have to convincingly sell a reaction indicating that even though they guessed the mystery celebrity was an A-list star, they most certainly recognize and are excited to go on a date with the fifth-billed actor from a sitcom they've never seen.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 05:34:41 PM »
Surprised FOX didn't pick this one up. They seem to love shows featuring incognito celebrities.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 08:24:05 PM »
Gotta be honest.....I'm not a fan of the Dating Game - yet I think this is absolutely a great idea to refresh a tired format.  And having met (and eaten Xmas dinner with....don't ask.) Michael Bolton - I think he'll be great. And i absolutely LOVE Zooey.

This will be an endearing success...and much lighter than "The Bachelor" , which needs a break, esp given the latest headlines.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 09:06:20 PM »
Gotta be honest.....I'm not a fan of the Dating Game - yet I think this is absolutely a great idea to refresh a tired format.
Unpopular opinion: that first season they did with Brad Sherwood wasn't a bad idea. Same for the Gary Kroeger version of The Newlywed Game. They just needed different titles, IMO.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 01:53:49 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 09:54:15 PM »
Gotta be honest.....I'm not a fan of the Dating Game - yet I think this is absolutely a great idea to refresh a tired format.
Unpopular opinion: that first season they with Brad Sherwood wasn't a bad idea. Same for the Gary Kroger version of The Newlywed Game. They just needed different titles, IMO.

I’m with you on the second half of the pair. Honestly I think they could’ve done a hybrid (do two question rounds with one of the games added for the new show, and maybe finish with the this/that round if there was time).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

trainman

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 11:03:01 PM »
I stand by my snap judgment in the previous thread about this, unless Zooey Deschanel is available for dating. (I see she's currently dating one of the Property Brothers, but I think I can take him, unless he tag-teams with the other Property Brother.)
trainman is a man of trains

Kniwt

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 06:33:57 AM »
The disappointment when clicking through and finding they weren't talking about John Bolton. 😀😈😜

calliaume

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 11:32:55 AM »
Unpopular opinion: that first season they did with Brad Sherwood wasn't a bad idea. Same for the Gary Kroger version of The Newlywed Game. They just needed different titles, IMO.
Also agreed. The Dating Game was not a strong format to begin with--if the contestants didn't say anything naughty or funny (and how much of that material was written by Barris staffers?), it wouldn't have had a following at all. A change is needed.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 01:58:19 PM »
Also agreed. The Dating Game was not a strong format to begin with--if the contestants didn't say anything naughty or funny (and how much of that material was written by Barris staffers?), it wouldn't have had a following at all. A change is needed.
I've mentioned this before, but a few months before the two shows premiered, our local TV critic wrote a blurb where Dating's EP said they went with the changes because the old way just wasn't gonna work in 1996. Of course they went back to the old format a year later, but I think your point still stands, 25 years later.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 07:10:24 PM »
So is "professional celebrity guest". Joel Mchale single?

PYLdude

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 09:46:44 PM »
So is "professional celebrity guest". Joel Mchale single?

Not only is he not, he reaches his silver anniversary this year.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

byrd62

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 10:11:40 AM »
I wonder if we will see a disclaimer similar to that voiced by announcer Johnny Jacobs on the original Dating Game half a century ago:

"Dates with celebrities are always subject to their availability."

PYLdude

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 09:01:11 PM »
The disappointment when clicking through and finding they weren't talking about John Bolton. 😀😈😜

Ah, John Bolton. The most famous walrus in the GOP.

(Seriously, that stache is legendary)