Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr DVR Solution - Channels DVR  (Read 2122 times)

tvmitch

Buzzr DVR Solution - Channels DVR
« on: February 16, 2021, 05:08:52 PM »
We don't get BUZZR over-the-air in my market, and I have searched for some time to find a solution that would allow easy DVR functionality for the Buzzr stream. I found a good solution, and thought I would share with the group in case anyone is facing a similar issue. If this belongs in another space in the forum, my apologies about that.

The main program that I am using is called Channels DVR.

Channels DVR is designed as a server application that can run on many computers, along with an HD Homerun tuner and a decent amount of hard drive space, to roll your own DVR. One functionality they released recently is to pull in TV Everywhere streams.

If you are looking to be able to DVR the Buzzr stream, and have an old computer to use, you can set up and configure Channels and add a free Sling TV account as a source in the TV Everywhere area. (I had a login from an old Sling TV account that I no longer use.) There are a set of about 60 channel streams that are available via your free Sling TV login, and Buzzr is one of them. Some other OTA diginets are in there too, like Comet, Charge, and Dabl. Once the lineup is synced, you can browse the Buzzr listings and record any show you wish.

A downside: while this works with the free Sling TV account, there is an $8/month subscription cost for the Channels DVR software. In addition to the Buzzr stream, I am using it with my home OTA antenna, and can easily justify the cost because we are using it all the time.

Happy to answer any questions you might have about this. I've been using it for about a month and very happy with it so far.
You should follow me on Twitter