Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Open Memto to GSN  (Read 3837 times)

mcd

Open Memto to GSN
« on: February 23, 2004, 09:28:31 PM »
It's not related to game shows, but as this is a game show network forum (this specific one), I figured I'd post it here.

-----

To:  The Game Show Network - AKA "GSN"
CC: The Game Show Forum
Subject:  Video Game Documentary

Gentlemen and Ladies,

To put it in comparative terms that you might understand (or, might not if the recent programming decisions you've made is any indication), getting Tony Hawk to host a video game special is like getting Donny Osmond to host a game show special.  Just because they've got their name on some sort of related product doesn't make them some sort of expert in the entire field.

I find getting Tony Hawk, a corporate sellout to the utmost degree from what he is supposed to represent, to be a cheap ploy by your network to draw in a key demographic.  Incase you don't know, the majority of this demographic already knows what they want to know about video game history.  They are not going to watch, and putting Tony Hawk as a name is not going to entice them.  All you do in this act is show how little your network actually knows about video games.

A documentary on video games on your network should be aimed to an older audience; an audience who is curious to learn what their youth is doing.  Instead, you're trying too hard to draw in those treasured demographics.  I will be surprised if this documentary draws in big ratings.  Do you really expect this to compete with MTV?  With G4?  With other networks who have put more thought and effort (no matter how abysmal those might be) into their video game segments?

As someone who follows the video game industry fairly closely, I will say that you are not the first corporation that treats us, video gamers, like complete idiots.  We are, as a whole, fairly smart.  We do not fall for things like, "Let's tune into a video game documentary on GSN; it has Tony Hawk!"  You are not going to win your key demographic, us, by treating us like we don't know our left foot from our right.

Please stop.  Thank you.

Signed,

mcd

------

Comment away, if you'd like.  I accept all criticisms and comments.  I figured some people here might have something positive to offer.  And yes, I've actually sent this letter to Game Show Network.

--edit--

Lucky for me, the subject headers aren't a part of the letter.  Yeesh.  :-P
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 09:32:39 PM by mcd »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Open Memto to GSN
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 09:54:43 PM »
[quote name=\'mcd\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 07:28 PM\'] from: mcd [/quote]
 McDonald? Andy McDonald? Is that you? You sound bitter enough.
getting Tony Hawk to host a video game special is like getting Donny Osmond to host a game show special.  Just because they've got their name on some sort of related product doesn't make them some sort of expert in the entire field.
Is Harry Smith an expert on every single person he speaks about on Biography? Hell, no. Does that make him any less qualified for the gig? Hawk is the central subject of one of the biggest series of videogames in recent history. Short of getting Ray Liotta (who, I'm guessing, was Not Available, and I question the wisdom of using someone involved with such a controversial game anyhow), I dunno how you get a more recognizable name. And he speaks clearly enough, which is pretty much all I ask for in a voice-over gig.
Incase you don't know, the majority of this demographic already knows what they want to know about video game history.
If this program is at all comprehensive, I am fairly sure you are dead wrong here. You certainly don't give the younger demographic a lot of credit.
A documentary on video games on your network should be aimed to an older audience; an audience who is curious to learn what their youth is doing.
What? You're higher than a kite. We have a generation of kids playing video games who don't know who Nolan Bushnell was, that games were played for points instead of getting to the "end", or that there were home video game systems before the 8-bit NES. THAT needs to be rectified, and there is a good possibility that GSN will be doing the hobby a great service by showing the youth of today that there was a day when our joysticks had a single red button on them, and that was Just Fine.
As someone who follows the video game industry fairly closely, I will say that you are not the first corporation that treats us, video gamers, like complete idiots.
First thing you've gotten right yet. But the rest of your criticisms are unfounded until the show airs.
Yeesh. :-P
Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction when I read this, too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mcd

Open Memto to GSN
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 03:11:48 AM »
Is Harry Smith an expert on every single person he speaks about on Biography? Hell, no. Does that make him any less qualified for the gig? Hawk is the central subject of one of the biggest series of videogames in recent history. Short of getting Ray Liotta (who, I'm guessing, was Not Available, and I question the wisdom of using someone involved with such a controversial game anyhow), I dunno how you get a more recognizable name. And he speaks clearly enough, which is pretty much all I ask for in a voice-over gig.

If speaking clearly was the only requirement, there would be plenty more candidates, me thinks.  :-P

Tony Hawk also did a Macintosh commercial.  I don't think Apple would go running towards him to narrate a Macintosh documentary, though.  It would be a joke for him to do that.  Just because name recognition is out there doesn't add validity to it.  Hawk was purposefully sought out because he's got name recognition and can supposedly add validity to the documentary (why try to add validity?  so the documentary isn't a joke).  To try to illustrate it further, it would be like getting David Duchovney to narrate it.

If this program is at all comprehensive, I am fairly sure you are dead wrong here. You certainly don't give the younger demographic a lot of credit.

On the contrary, I give them lots of credit.  They're a lot more intelligent than people give them credit for.

We have a generation of kids playing video games who don't know who Nolan Bushnell was, that games were played for points instead of getting to the "end", or that there were home video game systems before the 8-bit NES. THAT needs to be rectified, and there is a good possibility that GSN will be doing the hobby a great service by showing the youth of today that there was a day when our joysticks had a single red button on them, and that was Just Fine.

You don't think they know their roots?  I know my roots.  I played Coleco Vision and Atari just like a lot of people did.  Whether they appreciate it or not is another matter.  But they certainly know where video game came from.

But the rest of your criticisms are unfounded until the show airs.

I'm basing my criticisms on what game show network's actions regarding video games have been.  Airing reruns of Gamer.tv and Game Sauce, as well as their own mediocre attempt at a "video gaming block" was a failure.

Video gamers know that video games go beyond Tony Hawk.  They are smart enough to know not to be drawn in by a name they recognize.  I just don't see how gsn expects to be taken seriously when they don't take video gamers seriously.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Open Memto to GSN
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 11:50:43 AM »
[quote name=\'mcd\' date=\'Feb 24 2004, 01:11 AM\'] If speaking clearly was the only requirement, there would be plenty more candidates, me thinks.  :-P Hawk was purposefully sought out because he's got name recognition and can supposedly add validity to the documentary (why try to add validity?  so the documentary isn't a joke). [/quote]
You completely dodged my argument, which is that there is nothing wrong with recruiting a known personality to host a show like this, and that it would be far worse if GSN tried to appeal to the 18-35 by bringing in Bob Golthwait.

Of COURSE Hawk was brought in because he has name recognition. But I haven't seen GSN using Hawk's name as Tony Hawk, Video Game Expert, I've seen them use his name as Tony Hawk, Famous Skateboarder Who's Had Five Major Games Made About Him For Practically Every Damn Platform That Has Existed At The Time. The validity of the documentary will ultimately be determined by its content, and GSN knows this. You're jumping to conclusions.
On the contrary, I give them lots of credit.  They're a lot more intelligent than people give them credit for.
Then explain to me a comment like "the majority of this demographic already knows what they want to know about video game history." Because that implies to me either the hubris that they know EVERYTHING, or an ignorance in that they do not want to know MORE.
You don't think they know their roots?  I know my roots.  I played Coleco Vision and Atari just like a lot of people did.  Whether they appreciate it or not is another matter.  But they certainly know where video game came from.
Good for you. I'm telling you that the young adults of today, who were popping out of the womb just as the 2600 and ColecoVision were going down for the third time, do NOT know this. In my abbreviated experience with the GSN boards, I found myself involved in a discussion where some kid was defending the GameCube with a "They were the first, and they'll be the last" argument. Now I grant you that Nintendo has been in the entertainment machine industry for some time, but to make that statement displays an ignorance of epic proportions. THAT is what I am hoping this documentary will correct.
I'm basing my criticisms on what game show network's actions regarding video games have been.  Airing reruns of Gamer.tv and Game Sauce, as well as their own mediocre attempt at a "video gaming block" was a failure.
I won't argue with you there. But do you think GSN are doomed to continually repeat the mistakes of their past? Did you think Lingo was gonna suck before you watched it? After all, GSN hadn't pumped out an original that didn't up until that point.

Now, I agree it's possible that GSN will screw the pooch and completely fail to get the early history, the important stuff, right. But it's also possible that they WILL, and if one more person walks out into the world knowing who Ralph Baer is, I'm inclined to think they will have succeeded.
Video gamers know that video games go beyond Tony Hawk.  They are smart enough to know not to be drawn in by a name they recognize.  I just don't see how gsn expects to be taken seriously when they don't take video gamers seriously.
You are again making the assumption that Hawk is being positioned as an authority on the subject rather than simply as a well-known celebrity who happens to be involved in the subject to a greater extent than other celebrities of his era. I still have yet to see an ounce of evidence to support this claim.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 11:53:18 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe