Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC picks up another game show  (Read 5982 times)

colonial

NBC picks up another game show
« on: February 08, 2021, 01:15:47 PM »
NBC has announced that it will produce its own version of the popular BBC game show "The Wheel," with 10 episodes green-lit ...

https://deadline.com/2021/02/the-wheel-nbc-bbc-gameshow-michael-mcintyre-1234689661/

The British series was recently renewed for a 16-episode second season.

No word on host or format modifications for the U.S. version.

JD

KWJCDon

Re: NBC picks up another game show
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 02:26:52 PM »
I've actually been enjoying this one since it came out. I hope the US version is just as good but I have a feeling it won't be.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 04:08:10 PM »
THIS IS FABULOUS NEWS!

Unless we screw it up.
czambo@mac.com

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 04:16:34 PM »
This seems like a format the US wouldn't screw up. It's already celebrity-centric, comedy-first-game-second. Should be right up our alley.

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 04:27:02 PM »
THIS IS FABULOUS NEWS!

Unless we screw it up.

Well it's NBC, so screwing it up is pretty much inevitable now.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 06:20:30 PM »
This seems like a format the US wouldn't screw up. It's already celebrity-centric, comedy-first-game-second. Should be right up our alley.
Until every contestant has a crazy sob story.

/Then again, the Olympics are coming up
//Maybe they'll save the sappiness for the commentators
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JMFabiano

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 08:13:24 AM »
No judgment on the show itself, but who wants to bet NBC is picking it up in hopes of viewers skimming through the listings and seeing "Wheel".  Then thinking it's that other Wheel show that a couple of people know about, one that has had its own prime time version these last couple weeks at that ;-)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

aaron sica

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 09:34:55 AM »
No judgment on the show itself, but who wants to bet NBC is picking it up in hopes of viewers skimming through the listings and seeing "Wheel".  Then thinking it's that other Wheel show that a couple of people know about, one that has had its own prime time version these last couple weeks at that ;-)

Considering the newspapers that still do TV listings tend to severely truncate the program name at times in their grids, I definitely could see this happening.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 09:35:53 AM »
I didn’t even think about that. Wouldn’t be surprised if they air it on Thursday nights, specifically at 8 pm.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 12:11:44 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 11:20:24 AM »
I didn’t even think about that. Wouldn’t be surprised if they air it in Thursday nights, specifically at 8 pm.

"Hey Mildred, would you look at this? Channel 6 and Channel 10 both have Wheel of Fortune on at 8!"

JMFabiano

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 01:18:21 PM »
If he wasn't up in years and, to say the least, a controversial figure right now, I'd have tapped Chuck Woolery to host it just to really mess with people.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 08:49:12 PM »

Considering the newspapers that still do TV listings tend to severely truncate the program name at times in their grids, I definitely could see this happening.

Ditto for some of those on‐line cable/satellite TV listing grids.

Stackertosh

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 08:13:37 AM »
I watched a few episodes and the show just drags imo. It kind of feels like Millionaire Hot seat.

I could see jerry O'Connell hosting this show. He would be good with the celebrities.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 01:47:55 PM »
If he wasn't up in years and, to say the least, a controversial figure right now, I'd have tapped Chuck Woolery to host it just to really mess with people.
Considering that this is a guy who, even before his downfall, didn’t seem like a guy who was eager to chum it up with people in Hollywood, this is really out in left field.

It was said somewhere before already, but I actually wouldn’t mind Neil Patrick Harris in this role- this seems better suited for him than any of the other game shows he’s been attached to.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 05:52:01 PM »
I like the idea of NPH hosting "The Wheel." You want somebody who'd be great with the celebrities as well as the contestants. But as we were watching an early episode--well before the NBC announcement was made--I said to my wife, "So, if we ever get a version of this I think Nathan Lane should host it."

Or how about James Cordon, if CBS would let him loose for a weekend to tape?
czambo@mac.com