Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC picks up another game show  (Read 5983 times)

calliaume

Re: NBC picks up another game show
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 09:08:55 PM »
Or how about James Cordon, if CBS would let him loose for a weekend to tape?
Doesn't seem likely NBC would want a CBS guy to host.

Left field suggestion: NBC really needs to boost Jimmy Fallon's ratings; The Tonight Show is dead last in late night, with Colbert nearly doubling Fallon's numbers. Would he work for this?

https://deadline.com/2021/01/ratings-battle-between-colbert-kimmel-fallon-late-show-tonight-show-1234674794/

colonial

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 11:24:07 AM »
Reviving this thread as NBC announces who will host the U.S. version of "The Wheel." It will be ... the host of the UK version of "The Wheel," Michael McIntyre ...

https://deadline.com/2021/08/michael-mcintyre-nbc-remake-british-gameshow-the-wheel-1234810662/

McIntrye serves as one of the executive producers of the U.S. version. He does a strong job helming the UK version, and is the perfect host for this kind of format. But he also has no celebrity recognition at all in the U.S., so the choice is a curious one, to say the least.

JD

Clay Zambo

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 11:33:30 AM »
Hey, an executive producer hosting a show...what could go wrong? ;)

Seriously, though, he's seven kinds of charming. I don't know that the show will fly in the US to begin with, but I'm thoroughly on board with him.
czambo@mac.com

BillCullen1

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 02:13:14 PM »
Hey, an executive producer hosting a show...what could go wrong? ;)

Seriously, though, he's seven kinds of charming.

True - something Mike Richards better not dare to claim. It will be interesting to see the celebs they get for this, along with their area of expertise. Snoop Dogg on the subject of . . . 

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 08:44:24 PM »
McIntrye serves as one of the executive producers of the U.S. version. He does a strong job helming the UK version, and is the perfect host for this kind of format. But he also has no celebrity recognition at all in the U.S., so the choice is a curious one, to say the least.

Here's my question about celebrity recognition when it comes to selecting a host- how much does it REALLY matter in most of these cases? Does having Joel McHale really bring more eyes to Card Sharks than an unknown? How many of these well recognized names are actually using their own platforms to promote the show? It often times feels like an unbalanced relationship wholly in favor of the host.

TV shows premiere every year with unknowns who turn into bigger stars because of the show. As relatively cheap as game shows are to produce, I'm honestly surprised that more of them don't look for a good host with less name recognition.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Stackertosh

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2021, 03:35:36 AM »

Here's my question about celebrity recognition when it comes to selecting a host- how much does it REALLY matter in most of these cases? Does having Joel McHale really bring more eyes to Card Sharks than an unknown? How many of these well recognized names are actually using their own platforms to promote the show? It often times feels like an unbalanced relationship wholly in favor of the host.

TV shows premiere every year with unknowns who turn into bigger stars because of the show. As relatively cheap as game shows are to produce, I'm honestly surprised that more of them don't look for a good host with less name recognition.

The way Joel hosts Card Sharks i would rather see a good unknown host instead of a big name doing a bad job hosting

NBC brought over Anne Robinson and promote the heck out of her before Weakest Link started.

I don't see The Wheel lasting over here. The show kinda drags

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2021, 08:14:12 PM »
I don't see The Wheel lasting over here. The show kinda drags.

On YouTube I watched as much of one show as I could stand, about 10 minutes.

I saw a bunch of way-too-giggly frat boys chuckling and bickering among themselves and answering questions about obscure minutiae, along the lines of "how many jelly beans are in the jar?" and not factual information such as "Who was Hitler's minister of propaganda?".

They made way too much of this silly wheel-spinning ritual which takes WAY TOO LONG, during which each frat boy — OK, let's call them what they are: twinks — does a little dance in his chair. It's going to seem interminable, repetitive and downright tiresome after you've seen it 50 times.

The show I saw lacked even a cursory explanation of the format, the premise or the rules, sending its grade from D+ to D-.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2021, 02:03:45 PM »
The show I saw lacked even a cursory explanation of the format, the premise or the rules, sending its grade from D+ to D-.
Britain produces their games shows differently. I can't help but think there are going to be at least a couple of changes.

frat boy — OK, let's call them what they are: twinks
I don't know if you know what this term actually means....
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Unrealtor

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2021, 02:16:01 PM »
Britain produces their games shows differently. I can't help but think there are going to be at least a couple of changes.

I'm wondering if it's the Sidemen video where they got to borrow the set for a version consisting only of young, male YouTubers, in which case, yeah, a couple of them would qualify as twinks, but it otherwise bears* about as much resemblance to the actual version shown on the BBC as Jimmy Fallon's Password sketches do to the Goodson-Todman episode.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we're insisting that the format won't work in the US because it's too slow, but they're working with roughly 15 more minutes in a BBC hour than they will have in an NBC hour, so it's a bit early to judge what the pacing is going to be.

* - Pun not intended, but too good not to leave it in
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2021, 09:56:27 PM »
Oh I do, without a doubt.

I'm wondering if it's the Sidemen video where they got to borrow the set for a version consisting only of young, male YouTubers
Maybe that's it. Anyway, it was hard to watch: yet another contrived, overwrought Q&A show. Old wine in new bottles.